Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One HUNDRED Word Challenge - Weeks 1-10

myownmuggle

One HUNDRED Word Challenge - Weeks 1-10

Welcome to the first One HUNDRED Word Skele-Gro Challenge!

Please visit this thread for questions. Leave this thread for entries only.

Winners will received five house points.

New prompts will be posted each week.

Your first prompt is:

LOSS

This prompt will close on February 16.

Please post your entries with the following:

Name:
    House:
    Title:

bittersweet_lullaby
    Name: bittersweet_lullaby/TF
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Only a Memory

The weak image of two teenagers shouting at one another filled the blank darkness. It was not in a picture frame, or even a photo album. It was the faint remnant of a memory; this particular memory often occupied the mind of Harry Potter as he laid in bed. He never ceased to wonder what his life might have been like if his parents had lived. If only they were there, right then, he might be able to tell them how much he wanted to know them. The image faded and vanished, just like the parents he might have known.

Mistletoe
    Name: Mistletoe
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Physical Pain
    She gripped the cold headstone with both hands, clasping it as if it were the last thing she would ever touch. It was ironically bright outside, contrasting starkly with her wilted form. Yesterday had been the last day she would ever see her brother’s face; his name inscribed in the shining marble seemed out of place, almost like a joke. But it wasn’t, and it would never be funny. She flopped back, allowing her soft fingers to drag along the jagged edge of the stone, welcoming the white scratches that appeared on her palms. The physical pain was unbelievably comforting.
    Title: His Secret Everything
    I wrap my fingers around the soft curls of her red hair. They are curls I hardly had the pleasure of running my fingers through before this day, but now I can run my fingers through her hair as if no one is watching.

Her face is still warm with life, even if it is gone from her body. I touch my rough thumb pad to her cheek and drag it across. This is my last time looking into the face of my best friend’s wife. The woman who I loved more than life itself. She was my secret everything.
    --Kat

Ironic Inspiration
    Penname: Ironic Inspiration
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: What Loss Really Is

Loss is not death in its entirity. Losing someone does not make dying essential. He had experienced loss in more ways than one. If anyone knew what loss really was, it was him.

Loss was when she had sat at the opposite table, while he joined the students in green. Loss was when he called her that hateful word, and saw her brilliant green eyes falter. Loss was when he knew he was too late. That smile wasn't for him, and he could do nothing to change it.

Before she died, he had already lost her, making death that much worse.
    By the way, this is Snape talking about Lily.

>>>>>>>>

Title: Mirrors Are Never The Same

He looked at the identical features, down to the last freckle. He watched as he moved his mouth simultaneously with the boy beside him as he talked to the green-eyed hero, who had a glint of guilt across his face.

When talking to their friend, they had duplicate smiles that didn't reach their eyes. They said the same out of character, half-hearted remarks.

And when George is alone, he turns his head, revealing that they also had the same missing ear.

He thought he had been looking in a mirror his whole life, but mirrors weren't the same.
    >>>>>>>>

Title: A Loss of Memory

There were not detailed ways to describe how to deal with this kind of thing hidden beneath a book cover. Very rarely had she felt unprepared, uncertain.

She knew she had done the right thing, deep within herself. This was the safest, most logical thing. But that did not change the way she hesitated before confronting them, afraid she could not bare the site of their eyes not holding an ounce of recognition for her appearance. Surely, they would remember something.

Of course, they had no idea what they had lost. They were not aware they had lost a thing.
    That was about Hermione erasing her parent's memory of her, and having to face them to recollect them again.

Elmindreda
    Name: Elmindreda
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: The Merit of Logical Thought

People would spend much less time succumbing to melodramatic grief if only they had the capacity to think logically. If only they realized that out of every dozen things they mourn the loss of, they only have the actual right to mourn one, at best.

One can only truly grieve over the loss of something one can call their own. What loss can one speak of, if there is no possession?

Therefore, one simply cannot mourn the loss of something never attained. For the sheer fact of there being no loss to mourn.

That’s right, Severus. Keep telling yourself that.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Name: Sainyn Swiftfoot
    House: Hufflepuff

Title: A Terrible Prank

Ron slumped against the wall, trying to override his feelings of loss. Sweat and tears flew down his face, together as one. It was as though a part of him had broken off, the world was falling, it was all of no use… love, school, Hermione, Voldemort- all trifles, compared to the pain he was going through… It was all the fault of his stupid brothers, the bloody pranksters! After THIRTEEN YEARS, to be separated was, indeed terrible. But no! He would rise above the loss! Work every second; regain what he had lost!

Ron. Would. Find. His. Teddy. Bear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Title: Soul

He groped into the deepest corners of his brain, the very depths of his soul, for hatred. With a burst of legilimency, Riddle searched the rotting mind of the worthless scum covering before him- for memories of his mother. He saw her shrieking with pain as she was punished with the Cruciatus Curse- a reprimand for loving his Muggle father. He saw every occasion she was hurt.

Bringing these into his head, Riddle scrunched his face with pure, unadulterated hatred.

“Avada Kedavra!”

And before he knew it, another piece of his soul was gone- gone, ripped from his body, lost…
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Title: Seperation

I watch as she walks towards the stool, her red curls swaying behind her, I am scared. I would be in Slytherin, I am certain, but if she were to be in a different house, all would be lost…

I watch with increasing trepidation, as she daintily places the hat on her head, closing her eyes in anticipation…

I watch, as the hat remains silent, and then I listen, as it shouts my destiny for all to hear. “Gryffindor!”

And I watch, as she leaves for the Gryffindor table, taking my hopes with her- my hopes, my love, my life...

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

bertiebott12
    Name: bertiebott12
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Still Fighting, Still Dreaming

Whenever someone calls you mental, you can’t respond. You can’t say anything at all, just listen to the busy Healers that pass by your bed. Your husband is on the bed opposite you, his face up to the ceiling. You cannot tell him how much you love him, or even show a sign of affection. Worse, is your son. He is a Hogwarts hero, or that’s what Frank’s mother tells me. Part of my life has been cut out. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if those Death Eater’s had never come. But we have not lost. Not yet.

FullofLife
    Name: FullofLife
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Everything

‘Please, Hagrid, leave me Harry. Please’

Don’t do this to me. Not Harry too.

‘Sorry, Sirius, I can’ do tha’. I’m under orders.’

‘Hargid… please.’

Please, he pleads in his heart, Please, God, please, not Harry too, not Harry, how can you take Harry too? How can you do this to me? James and Lily and Harry? God, please, please, I’ll do anything… just don’t take everything.

Hagrid pats him on the shoulder, under a blazing moon reflecting the green light of a Dark Mark hanging victoriously in the sky. Sirius lets his heart break.

He won’t need it anymore.

MissyQuill
    Name: Sammy/MissyQuill/Lady Valdis, The UNquirky.
    House: GRYFFINDOR!!!
    Title: Gone.

She was gone.

It was not a thought, nor a fear, not anymore.

It was a fact.

And like all facts, it needed to be accepted, even if at the cost of insurmountable pain and madness that would never be apparent to anyone but yourself. Even if accepting it would slowly tear chunks of your humanity into pieces, all day, every day. But maybe there wasn’t enough humanity left in you to give.

Accepting it would mean admitting that you would never feel her joy, never feel her pain.

Lily may have gone. But she did not go alone.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Name: Kristy
    House: GRYFFINDOR
    Title: Silver sickles and candy bars

“Look mum, this one is loose now.” Lilly skipped into the kitchen where the aroma of dinner filled the air. Her wild, red curls bounced around her head and her bright green eyes flashed in excitement.

“Let me see?” Ginny turned from the stove, with a smile, to touch Lilly’s tooth. “Your right, munchkin. And once that one comes out, you’re going to look like a Jack-o-lantern.”

Ginny tweaked Lilly’s nose as the six-year-old giggled with delight. She was going to loose another tooth, which she loved because she always got candy and a silver sickle for her piggy bank.

Sorry, I had to do something a little more upbeat for this one. It was inspired by my Madi, who thinks loosing teeth is the best thing ever!
    ~Kristy