Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger

little_kitty
    In my story, Hermione's mother dies and her father is physically handicapped for life. How do you think she'd deal with this?
    Hermione isn't going to mope about it forever, that's for sure. No, maybe she doesn't have the closest relationship with her parents since she spends a lot of time at Hogwarts and such, but as far as we can tell, it doesn't seem like Hermione had a bad falling out with her family or anything. I've always been under the impression that deep inside, she still loves them. Sure, they live in different worlds, since Hermione is involved with a lot of magic, and her parents don't know much about it, but I think there is still some kind of a relationship there. It's not exactly nonexistent or anything.

If her mother dies, Hermione will grieve. She'll take time out of her schedule to deal with the situation. From what we have seen, she can get quite emotional, and I think that a family death is going to arouse a lot of strong emotions. I think that one of the things she'll feel is guilt, like Periwinkle said. She hasn't always been around with her family and didn't get the chance to spend more time with them. She blew off family holidays to spend time with Harry and Ron. I think she might feel bad about that.

As for her father, she'll find a way to take care of him. She doesn't really have siblings, and Hermione seems to be a pretty loyal person. She isn't just going to ditch her father, but she won't stick around forever. She'll look after him and visit him and stuff, but I can't see her permanently caring for her dad. It's not that she doesn't love him, because I'm sure that she does, but I am sort of under the impression that she's very immersed into the wizarding world, and it'd be very hard for her to live in both worlds.

--Little Kitty

Oppungo
    Hey guys, I'd really like your opinions on this. If Hermione was marrying a Muggle, do you think she'd tell him that she was a witch? If so, when? I'm leaning towards yes, before they were married, as if she loved and trusted him enough to marry him, then she should really be able to trust him with that. I think she might tell him when they were engaged, or a few days before the wedding. What do you think? Or do you think that she wouldn't tell him until after they were married, or even not at all?

Thanks in advance!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppungo
    Hey guys, I'd really like your opinions on this. If Hermione was marrying a Muggle, do you think she'd tell him that she was a witch? If so, when? I'm leaning towards yes, before they were married, as if she loved and trusted him enough to marry him, then she should really be able to trust him with that. I think she might tell him when they were engaged, or a few days before the wedding. What do you think? Or do you think that she wouldn't tell him until after they were married, or even not at all?

Thanks in advance!
    Being a witch is important to Hermione. In my opinion, she'd tell him VERY early on - as soon as it started gettng "serious". She'll know what the consequenses of a witch/Muggle marriage are when the Muggle has been kept in the dark - she has AMPLE evidence for this being a VERY bad idea: Seamus's mother, Dean's father, and of course the Dark Lord (and most likely Professor Snape).

She lends herself toward the pragmatic - she'll do things the magical way if it's easier and she's not going to allow anyone, not even a Muggle boyfriend/fiance/lover/husband to stand in her way.

little_kitty

Thanks in advance!
    I agree with cmwinters.

Magic is a very important part of Hermione's life, and as much as she'd like to find love and get married, she isn't going to let Hogwarts and her life as a witch be merely a 'thing of the past'. Being a witch is part of her identity, and Hermione isn't going to sacrifice that for some Muggle guy who could end up being all weirded out about it.

I don't think that Hermione would be the kind of person who would want to tell her husband that she was a witch after they got married. I think she would want to be upfront about it before they really started getting serious so that there would be no shock afterward. I think she'd want to make sure that her [future] husband would accept that she's a witch and not get all freaked out about it. If he wasn't liking that she's a witch, I don't think their relationship would much longer.

--Little Kitty

Simply Being

Thanks in advance!

I agree with cm winters and litte kitty. I don't know if she'd tell him when things started getting "serious" though...of course I don't know what you mean by that cmwinters...if you mean thinking about marriage, than I say yes. Hermione's always been a very fair person, and she wouldn't marry a Muggle and then tell him. That wouldn't be fair to him.

miss padfoot
    Well, I guess Hermione would definitely tell the Muggle before her wedding. Like the posters above me have pointed out, magic is a huge part of Hermione and she definitely wouldn't want to surprise him after their wedding. But, she also isn't very likely to spill the beans on their very first date, because Hermione is very cautious about what she does and she's smart. If she feels that the guy wouldn't abandon her thinking she's a weirdo, she definitely wouldn't hesitate to trust him with her secret. Until he gains her trust, she would act hush-hush.

Celestial Melody
    Well, remember: Hermione is Muggle-born. Therefore, she would understand what it feels like to be told that you have/someone you know has magical ability. In writing your story, try to imagine what her feelings were when she received her acceptance letter. Then, try to take that feeling and infuse her words to her potential husband with the same quality.

Yes, I believe she would tell her Muggle fiance that she was a witch. Hermione, as you've all said, values honesty. This honesty, this truth may be brutal, may be cruel, but she, nevertheless, wants it known.

I'm not quite sure in what context you'd have Hermione tell her fiance that she was a witch. Perhaps she'd say, (and not in these exact words, please, ) "Honey, we need to talk." Ah ha! There's that frightening 'We-Need-To-Talk' statement--it's always catches the attentention of the reader and the character alike. Continuing... "You may have noticed that I can do some bizarre things. The dishes are cleaned in minutes, the bed made in seconds. *sigh* I have a confession." Then she pulls out her wand and conjures a ... something ... out of thin air. Fiance starts back with a gasp, . Hermione holds the object in midair, looks directly into the eyes of said fiance: "I'm a witch."

Oh... something along those lines. However, please, do have Hermione tell her fiance before the marriage/serious relationship starts going. Failing to do so would make her OOC. Hope I helped!

~Celestial Melody~

cmwinters
    This entire discussion brings up an interesting question about the International Statute of Secrecy that you may wish to address in your fic. We know that wizards and witches do have children with and marry Muggles and Muggle-borns. Muggle-borns, specifically, aren't so much of an issue - the Ministry keeps an eye on them and then when the time is right a letter and a Ministry or school representative is sent to the house to explain what's going on.

But Muggles, specifically, are another dilemma entirely. We know that Tom Riddle was a Muggle, and didn't react well to Merope Gaunt Riddle being a witch (and the fact that she used her powers against him). We know that Seamus Finnegan's mother is a witch but his father is a Muggle, and that Mr. Finnegan was quite shocked when he found out. We know that Eileen Prince Snape was a witch and she married a Muggle, but we don't know how Tobias took it. This could, in theory, be the basis for the arguing memory in the Pensieve.

What if PART of the Statute says that you can't tell Muglges - even ones you marry - that you are a witch? Or perform magic in front of them?

This is exactly the short of pureblooded idealogical short-sightedness that I can see the Ministry passing, and it could really tie Hermione's hands in this regard.

kask
    I'm currently working on a fic where Ron and Hermione dated for about two years, but at age twenty, they broke up. Now, Ron travels a lot, and she doesn't see him too often, so they are still good friends. But Ron is now getting married (about five years later). How do you think Hermione would react? Do you think she would try to break them up because she's in love with Ron still? Do you think she'd tell him? (It's kind of based on 'My Best Friend's Wedding'.) Thanks!

Celestial Melody
    I'm currently working on a fic where Ron and Hermione dated for about two years, but at age twenty, they broke up. Now, Ron travels a lot, and she doesn't see him too often, so they are still good friends. But Ron is now getting married (about five years later). How do you think Hermione would react? Do you think she would try to break them up because she's in love with Ron still? Do you think she'd tell him? (It's kind of based on 'My Best Friend's Wedding'.) Thanks!
    So when they broke up, they had been out of school for at least a year. Right? They got together in the sixth book, should have had their seventh year, but went searching for Horcruxes (theoretically, IMO) and then they broke up the year after the supposed seventh. Sorry, I have to work with timeline/background info. here.

It is now five years after that and they are still good friends. Is Voldemort gone? I believe that has some bearing on this matter. If he isn't, Hermione and Ron would still be fighting him and I don't know if Hermione would give Ron's marriage that much thought.

But, hmm... well, are you saying that Hermione is still in love with Ron? If she is, I still don't think that she would try to break him up. Hermione has always been the one to lean on when things get rough and she would hide her feelings before she ever hurt one of her friends.

Whether or not she would tell him, eh... No, I don't think so. She kept her attraction to him secret all those years (though for most of the books she wasn't really attracted to him at all, ) and I don't think she would want to ruin her friend's happiness. I need to think about this a bit more and if I have anything else to add, I'll EDIT.

Hope I helped!

~Celestial Melody~