Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger

little_kitty
    Do you think that Hermione would become jealous of a girl if that girl was Harry's girlfriend?
    No, I really don't think so. Even if Hermione is closer to Harry than Ron in your story, I think that they're just friends. Harry went out with Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley. Hermione didn't really show signs of jealousy towards either girl. She seems to be fairly neutral when it comes to Harry's... relationships, I guess you could say. We haven't seen any signs of her having difficulty putting up with them.

Would she try to turn Ron against this girl?
    I can't really see her doing that. From what I've seen, there are people she dislikes, but she doesn't seem like the person who tries to persuade others to hate someone else and go against them, you know what I mean? If she wanted to turn Ron away from the girl, it wouldn't be out of jealousy, unless this girl was unfairly beating her in every class or something (think Hermione's reaction to Harry's success in 6th year Potions).

--Little Kitty

Starmaiden
    Do you think that Hermione would become jealous of a girl if that girl was Harry's girlfriend? Would she try to turn Ron against this girl? (her name is Amy until I can think of a better one). I don't want to make Hermione OOC, but she's closer to Harry than she is to Ron. Would she try to get this girl away from Harry ?
    You don't have to beg, Sam We HP nuts are more than happy to help!

That said, I have to answer you...no. Hermione doesn't hate any of the other friends that Harry has. The only way I can see this happening is if "Amy" absorbs Harry's full attention and completely drags him away from Ron and Hermione, in which case I think both of them would be upset, but not vicious. That's not their way.

If this does happen, then I see Hermione perhaps asking Harry for a private chat, in which she would point out that Harry spends no more time with his old friends. She would not pull a jealous cat stunt and, say, try to embarrass Amy in public. If Harry is still the same Harry we know (as in not changed over the summer into a selfish brat) then he would probably realize that he needed to spend more time with his friends.

After all, Ron and Hermione have been everything to Harry for years. A normal girlfriend, a normal love, would naturally draw him away a bit, but Hermione would accept a girlfriend. She might be sad that they saw less of him (assuming that he does spend some time with his old friends) but she would accept Amy.

b_reeger

Animagus

If Hermione were to become and Animagus, what creature do you think she would be and why?

mecredi
    Quote Originally Posted by b_reeger
    If Hermione were to become and Animagus, what creature do you think she would be and why?
    Yay, I just did the same question for Draco Malfoy, so I'm in practice...

Hermione would clearly be something very intelligent, logical, and emotional. I think the emotional side of her, that blurs her clear logical thinking, is what put her in Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw. I couldn't really see her as a cat (the most obvious choice), as I think she is too emotional and moral to be just cooly logical. She is also much to loyal. I view cats as more cold and calculating. So, I would view her as something smart but amiable. This would probabaly be a dolphin? They are very smart and very cute, but I think they are to subordinate than I would view Hermione. Plus, it would be hard to be an animagus that dies in Oxygen...So, possibly a raven. According to this site ( http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Featur...artanimalssome ), they are described as having problem-solving skills. And what else does Hermione do in SS on Snape's Challenge? Also, but far less glamorous, is the Prairie Dog, which apparently has an immensely complex language. They also have diffrent dialects of their language in diffrent areas of the world. Plus, I view prarie dogs as quite homly, like Hermione.

5 points to Slytherin

mald1983
    I have wondered this myself a few times when thinking of Hermione's character. However, I thought that the most logical animagus for Hermione would be an otter. The reasons are quite simple.

1. Otters tend to be reasonable animals with a playful side. Although Hermione tends to stick to the rules and lecture others on the rules, she had been known to "cut loose" and have fun every now and again.

2. Otters have long front teeth to help them tear fish, crustaceans, water birds, frogs and voles, all of which consist of their diet. Hermione had very large front teeth until the fourth year when Draco M. made them overly large and she had them charmed to smaller ones.

3. Otter also refers to an automated deducing system that researchers have studied in recent years. It might be a leap, but I do believe that Hermione is fairly deducing in life and her logic sets her apart from other characters in the books.

4. The last point: her patronus is an otter. I know it's obvious, but it matches who she is. She even states that she thinks the patroni are cute (in OotP during the DA lesson on the Patronus charm). Because of this, one can deduce that she likes otters.

As mecredi stated, "Hermione would clearly be something very intelligent, logical, and emotional." Otters fit this description because they are somewhat intelligent, logical, and emotional creatures. Their emotional sides, however, are shown in "playful" ways.

Also, I agree with mecredi that Hermione wouldn't be a cat. Although she is an independent person to some extent, she isn't calculating or cool toward others. She's generally friendly but mostly a know-it-all.

Also, I agree that she wouldn't be a dolphin. Although she's intelligent, I don't think her intelligence would be her only characteristic to appear in her animagus form. And I doubt she would be anything that would fly since it's implied that she's scared of heights. Ergo, flying would not be something that would appeal to her inner being.

As for the Prarie Dog...it could be possible. Aren't Prarie Dogs and Otters related in some sense since both of them are viewed as members of the cat family? I can't remember if that's true or not, and it's been nearly a decade since I studied mammals.

Anyway, that's what my theory is on her animagus form.

5 points to Gryffindor

anAnachronism
    I thought that the most logical animagus for Hermione would be an otter.
    4. The last point: her patronus is an otter.
    Are patronus's and animagus forms the same thing though? I thought the point of a patronus was to protect while the Animagus was a direct reflection of the person. To be honest, I could picture Ron as an otter more easily than I could picture Hermione. (Perhaps that's why she finds it protective?)

Hermione would clearly be something very intelligent, logical, and emotional.
    Agreed. I also think that her animal would not be too glamourous. An otter Patronus is far from magnificent, especially when compared to Harry's impressive stag. Other things we know about Hermione is that she is very practical and fussy. In fact, there are times when she's with Ron that she directly resembles Molly Weasley, such as telling him not to chew with his mouth full.

One option would be a horse. Intelligent creature. Practical for travel. Also powerful (you don't want to be on the receiving end of their kicks). A small problem is that horses are shy while Hermione can be quite bold.

In the end, you really have to pick the animal that would be the most use in your fic (an underwater animal would be rather difficult to use unless there is a lot of deep sea fishing involved). Exotic species seem rather out of place as Hermione is a very down-to-earth girl.

One last note, remember McGonagall's cat's markings? And Rita Skeeter's beetle's glasses? Whatever animal Hermione becomes is sure to bear bushy hair or another one of her distinctive features.

phoenix165

Hermione's parents

In my story, Hermione's mother dies and her father is physically handicapped for life. How do you think she'd deal with this?

Thanks,
    Phoenix

Periwinkle
    You know, I've always believed that Hermione and her parents aren't very close. They are Muggles, after all, and can't relate to Hermione when she talks about Hogwarts and the Wizarding world. And although being raised by Muggle parents, Hermione has settled in comfortably as a witch and there would be few topics for her to discuss openly with her parents.

So, that affliction wouldn't hurt Hermione as much as others in the same situation. But that main feeling that would be going through Hermione is guilt. She's be guilty. For not paying attention to her parents. For not being there for them. For ignoring them and not being the best, perfect daughter.

She would be upset, naturally and it would take some time for her to deal with that situation.

miss padfoot
    In my story, Hermione's mother dies and her father is physically handicapped for life. How do you think she'd deal with this?
    Though Hermione and her parents don't seem close to each other like Anna said, they're still parents and daughter. After Hermione came to Hogwarts, their family probably fell apart a bit because Hermione seems to spend a lot of time (even during the hols) with the Weasleys and stays at Hogwarts during the Christmas break to give Harry company, she still thinks of sending an owl to her parents after she became a Prefect. So, we know, that in spite of their differences, Hermione loves her parents very much.

Having said that, Hermione would probably be very upset if something happened to her parents, and especially if it was done by the Death Eaters. She would feel terribly guilty because it was magic that did that to them. And, both her parents are affected at the same time, so that would just double her sorrow.

But, Hermione wouldn't stay like that forever. The pain would still be there but she would eventually move on and probably seek revenge against those who did that to her parents.

Hope that helped!

5 points to Hufflepuff

doubleraven
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix165

Thanks,
    Phoenix
    We can see that Hermione is very loyal and devoted in her other relationships, particularly to Harry and Ron, so I think that even though it might seem as if she isn't close to her parents, I think she would still return home to grieve for her mother and care for her father, at least for a little while until some other arrangements are made. I sometimes think that it has to be difficult for Hermione to not be able to really discuss with her parents what her life is like because she knows that they really couldn't understand. She'd probably feel regretful that she hadn't spent much time with them, particularly her mother now that she's gone. She might wish that she'd tried harder to bring her two worlds together.
    I could also see her trying to find a magical way to cure her father, and not accepting that his handicap is permanent. She's a very intelligent and determined girl and I think that now that she's more involved in the wizarding world she wouldn't just accept a Muggle diagnosis as fact- assuming that her father went to a Muggle doctor.