Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger

Mind Games
    Gryffindors do not have to be loyal.
    I do think Phoebe is right when she says Gryffindors do not have to be loyal. Look at Peter Pettigrew. He obviously didn't turn out to be very loyal, but he was still in Gryffindor. Sure, some Gryffindors value loyalty and friendship. But those are more Hufflepuff traits than anything else. Sometimes I think people get this confused because we see Harry, Ron, and Hermione more than any other characters in the books, and they are all loyal and value friendship. While we do see some very strong friendships and loyalty from Gryffindors, not all of them are necessarily this way.

However, I also disagree with Phoebe, because I definitely think Hermione belonged in Gryffindor and was not placed there just to be with Harry and Ron.

Ask yourself this. Why was Peter sorted into Gryffindor? He's not brave. He only looks out for himself and he's considered the most cowardly character in the books. But he was sorted into Gryffindor because he wanted to be. I feel that when it comes to sorting, the hat is more of a guide than anything else. You choose your house in the end.

The same goes for Hermione. She chose Gryffindor over Ravenclaw. In the fifth book, she mentions that the hat did consider putting her in Ravenclaw. And at the end of the first book, she confesses to Harry that bravery and courage mean more to her than books and intelligence. She was definitely Ravenclaw material, but in the end, she valued the Gryffindor traits more than anything else.

Beth: Good point. 5 points. - awarded

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    [shrugs] I just still feel she's a Ravenclaw at heart, but that's just me...

I'm writing a story and I need to know:

How do you think Hermione would react to a Death Eater who she knows is more messed up than actually evil, has saved her life, and she respects if not likes killing Ron, even though he didn't want to? In my story she gets captured by the DE and he has to guard her, so it's just the two of them.

Weasleyboyfreak
    Hey,
    I am writing a new fic and I was wondering if all you amazing people would be able to help with my Hermione characterization?

Here are the questions I need help answereing:

1. How would Hermione react, in your oppinion, if her husband, aka Ron, has been missing for six months after going on an Auror mission? Keep in mind that he never told her that he was leaving and that he only wrote her one letter to let her know she was alive. Would she be a sobbing mess? Would she break out in tears when something reminded her of him? Or would she even go as far as to think he is dead?

2. The next question is, how do you think she would react when he returns? Would she welcome him with open arms and then get angry? Would her love over power the anger towards him? Would she even get frustrated enough to slap him?

3. Along with this mix, what happens if Hermione was pregnant and Ron didn't know about it before he left? How would she react in this situation?

If you have any comments, questions, or answeres please let me know! I would really like some other oppinions on these situations.

mecredi
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasleyboyfreak
    Hey,
    I am writing a new fic and I was wondering if all you amazing people would be able to help with my Hermione characterization?

In the earlier books I think Hermione tended to go into hysterics under duress. I feel like once she was older she would feel as bad inside, but she could pull it together on the outside. She might break down for a bit, but Hermione is definitely a practical type of person. She wouldn't let this govern her life for too long.

If she was pregnant, I kind of like the idea that she would wait until she had the baby and then try and go find him. I don't imagine Hermione to be the kind of person that would just accept a situation like that. Of course, she would spend her entire pregnancy doing research on whatever she might do to find him.

I think rationally she would accept that he was probably dead, but suprisingly I think she can be kind of completely irrational when it comes to emotions. I feel like she doesn't really understand them, so she just freaks out about them. She probably would still have that hope left inside. I doubt Hermione would do the whole, "going dark" thing and say, "Oh they killed my husband let me become an Order's Bellatrix and go crazy and kill people."

cmwinters

1. How would Hermione react, in your oppinion, if her husband, aka Ron, has been missing for six months after going on an Auror mission? Keep in mind that he never told her that he was leaving and that he only wrote her one letter to let her know she was alive. Would she be a sobbing mess? Would she break out in tears when something reminded her of him? Or would she even go as far as to think he is dead?
    I don't think she'd break out into tears or be a sobbing mess. And it might depend on the state of their relationship right before he left. If they were arguing as he walked out the door, she might panic because she's generally got a low self-esteem, and might think he was leaving her. If he was all lovey and sweet when he left, she's significantly more likely to believe that something happened to him.

In that case, I think she's likely to stoop to just about any measures to locate him, up to and including potentially questionable magic. Say, for example, there's a tracking spell you can cast using blood, and say that the Ministry considers Blood Magic to be Dark Magic. I think she'd absolutely cast the spell. Hermione can be quite ruthless and cunning (she Obliviated her parents MEMORY of her very existence, and this is a plan that took her many weeks to pull off because she had to plant the idea that they wanted to be in Australia over time), and if she thought he was in danger, canonically she'd be a "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" kind of gal.

2. The next question is, how do you think she would react when he returns? Would she welcome him with open arms and then get angry? Would her love over power the anger towards him? Would she even get frustrated enough to slap him?
    I think it would really depend on exactly how he acted the minute he got home. If he comes in all scraggly and he's like "Oh my God Hermione I'm so sorry, we had $secret_mission and I didn't even know about it until we left, and then $bad_thing happened and then I was holed up in a cave hiding from Voldemort's long-lost twin brother and then we were on the run," she's likely to initially yell at him with something like "oh my God you scared me" but let it ride eventually—and probably sooner rather than later.

If she comes across him at Diagon Alley, chatting it up with friends like nothing's wrong, she's likely to slap him.

3. Along with this mix, what happens if Hermione was pregnant and Ron didn't know about it before he left? How would she react in this situation?
    I think she'd contact the Weasley family, and if none of them have heard from him, I think she'd be more likely to use the questionable magic to find him, except if so doing would potentially harm the baby, in which case I do not think she'd do it.

But she'd go to someone else to do it. In a heartbeat. And swear them to secrecy about it.

rainydaze
    Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?
    I think its because of how she's willing to apply her knowledge and wit. While Ravenclaws are great for studying and learning, they aren't necessarily the type who will help you in a life/death situation. Like Cho: she was smart and all, but was she the one who helped FORM the D.A., an organization that was directly against the rules? Sure, Ravenclaws participated, but Hermione was the only one actually willing to be the first to stand up to Umbridge, and the problems that Umbridge was causing for her education

At least, that's how I see it. Hope it helps!

Weasleyboyfreak
    Thank you all for you help! I think I've got enough to fix my minor problem!

A.H.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Gruzelieur
    How do you think Hermione would react to a Death Eater who she knows is more messed up than actually evil, has saved her life, and she respects if not likes killing Ron, even though he didn't want to? In my story she gets captured by the DE and he has to guard her, so it's just the two of them.
    Well I think she'd certainly be cautious at first but eventually friendly.
    If he saved her life she might give him the bennefit of the doubt because of it. If he reveals some sort of secret about why he joined Voldie in the first place she might even begin to trust him.

Hermione is a very cautious and smart girl, who would never make an impulsive decision or action. That said I think it would take alot of time, but she could definately learn to trust some one even if they don't have the greatest past.

The only thing I could see going wrong with writing this is taking things to fast. Also I didn't under stand what you said about Ron.. did the DE kill him?

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Yes, the DE killed Ron (I meant to make that clear). But what he says about it is that it's a battle, and you've got to kill or get killed, and if he hadn't avada-kerdavra-ed Ron, then Ron would have at least captured him and taken him to the Order for questioning etc.

My view is, that although Hermione, on the outside, seems quite hardened, in control etc, inside she's as emotional as she always was. And in a situation like this, I don't think she'd be able to hide her emotions. Of course, Hermione is quite proud, and may not want to show her feelings in front of Death Eaters, but I think, in a situation like this, she'd be too distraught to care.

Does this seem IC?

tbsbooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe
    Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?

I think that Hermione was originally sorted into Gryffindor because the sorting hat saw how loyal she was. Think about it, what other friend is as Loyal and fierce (besides Ron) to Harry? I think that sorting hat saw that inside her and chose Gryffindor for this and probably a lot of other reasons!