Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger

scdrumlinepit
    Err, I don't recall any "Attack canaries." Was that in HBP? *will look it up later*

Anyway, I have a question about Hermione. I want to know what she would say in a situation like the one in my story, since I don't think "GET BACK HERE AND FIGHT YOU FILTHY COWARD!" would work.

Ok here it is: It's after they all graduated from Hogwarts. Voldemort's dead, but Death Eaters are still rampant. Hermione's an Auror, undercover as a Police member in a pirate colony. She's disguised as a pirate and everything. She's chasing a criminal through a crowd. What would she possibly shout at him? The above quote sounds more like Moody, if you ask me.

Mistletoe
    I don't think Hermione would be shouting at anyone while she's in a crowd. I think she would probably run and catch him and then act angrily calm towards the person. Think attack of the canaries. (It was when Hermione ran off into an empty classroom and then Harry goes after her, and in frolick Ron and Lavender. She makes the canaries go attack Ron. Rather comical.)

She is really calm when she's angry, she only lets her emotions go when shes fighting with Ron. Maybe she would cast a spell at the person to slow them down? Be very indiscrete about it and then when she actually faces them, she would be very calm. But it's the kind of calm that is so much worse than having someone yell at you. You know what I am talking about?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Reading the responses about Hermione made me go look up the Sorting Hat's first song on the Lexicon:
    You might belong in Gryffindor,
    Where dwell the brave at heart,
    Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
    Set Gryffindors apart;
    You might belong in Hufflepuff,
    Where they are just and loyal,
    Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
    And unafraid of toil;
    Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
    if you've a ready mind,
    Where those of wit and learning,
    Will always find their kind;
    Or perhaps in Slytherin
    You'll make your real friends,
    Those cunning folks use any means
    To achieve their ends.
    When you think about it, Hermione could be in just about any house: more than any character, perhaps, she has all of these qualities.
    As previous posts have pointed out, Hermione demostrates bravery, daring, and nerve, and not just in dangerous situations: it takes courage and conviction to break the rules she broke second year (stealing stores, mixing the Polyjuice Potion, putting Crabbe and Goyle to sleep) in order to figure out who was opening the Chamber of Secrets and hurting students. It took daring and nerve to go back in time during her third year and save Sirius and Buckbeak. And certainly she demonstrated incredible bravery during both the battle at the MoM, and the battle at Hogwarts.
    But Hermione also demonstrates the courage to be herself. She comes off as bossy, bookish, sometimes a bit arrogant and aloof. But she doesn't change who she fundamentally is in order to fit in or be liked: she reads her books, makes her timetables, raises her hand higher than anyone else. Some people might suppress their true selves in order to fit in better, but Hermione never did.
    Hermione obviously demonstrates the wit and learning of a Ravenclaw: after all, she checks out huge tomes from the library for a bit of light reading! She also demonstrates how clever she is when she solves the Potions riddle during her first year; the identity of the monster in the Chamber of Secrets in year two; and the time-traveling adventure of year three.
    Hermione has many of the Hufflepuff qualities as well. She demonstrates how concerned she is with fairness and justice with her campaign for house-elves rights. She is obviously a very true and loyal friend. And she is not afraid of hard work: she works hard whether she is in class, doing her homework (how many rolls of parchment?), studying for O.W.L's, helping others (Hagrid), or breaking rules (think about how long that Polyjuice Potion took!).
    Finally, you could argue that Hermione uses whatever means to achieve her ends, a very Slytherin quality. Again, I think about how hard she worked to get to the bottom of the Chamber of Secrets mystery: she stole stuff, cooked up a potion in the girls bathroom, and knocked out two fellow students with a sleeping potion. And then there was the Confundus charm she used to get Ron on the Quidditch team, not to mention the fiasco with McLaggen at Slughorn's party: both very sneaky ways to achieve what she wanted. Slytherins are also ambitious (as per another song by the Sorting Hat) and Hermione's hard work seems very ambitious to me.
    Hermione certainly has a lot of the other house qualites; but then most people do, we are not just one-sided cardboard cut-outs, we are multi-dimentional human beings, and so are JKR's characters (one reason, perhaps, they are so appealing!) So why Gryffindor, then? Because Hermione's courage defines her: she has the courage to be herself, do what's right and necessary, work hard, remain loyal and true, and accomplish her goals.
    I also think we will see a major demonstration of Hermione's bravery in the final book. Whether that will involve an Unforgivable Curse will have to be answered in another post - this one is too long already!
    ~Gina

5 points to Ravenclaw

GringottsVault711
    I've always had a very simple explaination for Hermione's sorting as a Gryffindor instead of a Ravenclaw.

Yes, she's very smart, witty, knowledeable, well-learned, etc; She places importance on knowledge and learning. And she loves school. It's reflected in her worst fears: Failure and expulsion.

But she is willing to put all that on the line for what is right. Not only is she willing to put her life in danger, but she's willing to get in trouble for it.

Being sorted is not about being smart, loyal, brave or ambitions -- you can be all four it's about what comes first. And the truest virtue is not always the most obvious.

Just like Ron faces his fear of spiders in hopes of curing Hermione, Hermione faces her fears for the greater good. I honestly think her arranging the meeting in the Hog's Head and orchestrating the founding and meetings of the DA are one of the strongest symbols of this. There was never a greater danger of losing her place at Hogwarts than during Umbridge's reign, but she kept going. And I just love her questioning Umbridge in class, . First Year!Hermione probably never would have done that. Which is another point -- sometimes the Sorting Hat sees something in you that you haven't quite grown into yet. And being in the House nurtures that in you.

Hermione Weasley xx
    Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?

Hermione seems to be the eptimome of intellegence, doesn't she? Our favorite bushy-haired bookworm has a thirst for knowledge, loves to read, and is able to memorize entire books. So why wasn't she sorted into Ravenclaw? It's simple. She's not only smart and wise. Hermione is beyond that. When people think of Hermione, they think of intellegence. They think of books. But that's not all she is, is it now? Think of all the other things she's done.

First off, she attacked McLaggen, if you recall. He was saying horrible things about the Weasleys, I do believe. He seemed to have an absolutely horrendous temper. Those are the obvious reasons behind her attack. But you know what about that strikes me as non-Ravenclaw? It wasn't sensible. It wasn't all too wise. From a certain stand point, it might even be considered cheating. And you know what made her do it? Friendship. Even though it wasn't the smartest choice, she did it for her friends; that's not a Ravenclaw-like quality. That's a Gryffindor. It was even brave, come to think of it--how many people would confound someone just like that? And, even better, for their two best friends?

Isn't it obvious (-coughchokesplutter- xD; If you're a shipper, you might understand...) that Hermione would do anything to protect her friends? She would lay her life on the land for them. She would do whatever she could to protect them. And although those decisions may not always be sensible, they are brave.

"Books and cleverness! There are more important things. Friendship and bravery."
    But we've come to see that, despite all that, she is not just 'books and cleverness' as she so proclaims. She is friendship and bravery. If she was all books and cleverness, she might have been in Ravenclaw. But she's not, she simply isn't. She is friendship and bravery and she would risk her life to save her friends'. If you recall, even in first year, she lied for the two people that weren't even her best friends yet, although they had saved her. And it may have been a lie, it may not have been a sensible choice, but it certainly saved Ron and Harry. It's simple, isn't it? Hermione is not a Ravenclaw.

She's a Gryffindor, through and through.

What would Hermione do, say, Ron told her how he felt?

Even the H/Hr and D/Hr and all Hermione/with someone else besides Ron shippers hopefully know that it is, indeed, R/Hr. That is canon. No matter what happens in fandom, R/Hr has proclaimed itself both in the books and through J.K. Rowling herself. She's said it. How much more evidence can there be? In this case, Hermione has been in love with Ron for some time. There has been plenty of evidence which eludes to this fact...it's just there. So what would Hermione do? Well, there are plenty of options.

She would, of course, be thrilled. Perhaps she doesn't know quite why she's in love with Ron, but I'm very sure she knows she is. I think she would look/act delighted. It honestly depends on the way he expresses it to her. For one, perhaps if he told her he loved her, she might tear up at his words. If he told her he fancied her/wanted to date her, she'd probably agree. Blush, too, especially if someone was nearby -- recall the bit in Herbology with Ron and asking him to be her date? I somehow have this notion that it might be her who asks him out, though.

How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by Voldemort?

She would cry. I mean, what else would you expect from someone? It depends also on who it was, although for any of her loved ones there would (of course) be tears. But really, even in the face of such a tragedy, I don't believe Hermione would go up to Voldemort right there and attempt to kill him. Even beneath it all, she is often quite sensible. She wouldn't go absolutely mental; she would cry, she would be in pain, but I think a part of her would still remain calm.

Do you think that Hermione is the revengful sort?

This is a simple answer: no. No, I don't think Hermione is the revengeful sort; she wouldn't go and seek someone out for vengeance. Hermione isn't like that.

Why do you think she and Ron fight constantly, but she doesn't have the courage to come out and say how she feels?

I think a lot of their bickering comes from built-up sexual tension. And also because they are both pig-headed and stubborn in their own right. But they always end up making up. And, as it turns out, some bickering is healthy in a relationship -- imagine that? ; D About not having the courage, I think she's afraid Ron wouldn't go out with her. I mean, sensible, top-of-her-class Hermione Granger has some fears of her own. I think she's terrified of rejection. And what would happen then? Would their friendship collapse? Those might be some of her fearful questions. But it's going to happen. xD Book seven, book seven, hurry up.

Oh, and just to clarify: Hermione is my favorite member of the trio.

5 points to house upon Sorting

Gryffinpuff
    Quote Originally Posted by GringottsVault711
    Yes, she's very smart, witty, knowledeable, well-learned, etc; She places importance on knowledge and learning. And she loves school. It's reflected in her worst fears: Failure and expulsion.
    I think this adds to her rightly being placed in Gryffindor house. Her worst fear is failure, and yet she keeps pushing herself, setting herself up for a fall. People can be truly gripped by a fear of failing, to the point of inaction. If you don't try for something, there is no chance of failing. Set low standards, and chances are you will meet them. There is the psychological theory of learned helplessness. If I fail at something once, I will fail at it again, so there is no point trying. Hermione would likely has these fears deep down, and yet she's willing to bravely take those risks. Shes willing to put herself out there as the smartest witch of her age, even though the fall from that pedestal would be dreadful. Add working with Harry for the greater good to her plate, and you've got the makings of a truly brave and heroic person

Aquilus Luna
    Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?
    I think that one reason Hermione was sorted into Gryffindor is because although she is smart and loves to learn, Ravenclaw is a house that values knowledge and learning above all else. While Ravenclaws would probably turn to their knowledge to help them in tough situations, Hermione realizes that there are other ways to solve problems. We see constantly during the Harry Potter series, times when Hermione uses bravery and courage to do things not many people would do, for the sake of solving a problem, or helping out a friend (brewing polyjuice potion, helping Harry on all his quests, starting the D.A., etc) Hermione knows that just being the top student in her year won't help her do a lot of things. She's willing to go above and beyond what others would do to accomplish what her mind is set to do, and for her it's only an added bonus that she is smart and intelligent.

What would Hermione do, say, Ron told her how he felt?
    First of all, Hermione would obviously be very pleased that Ron reciprocated her feelings toward him. She would probably be a bit embarrassed too, as she has not had much experience with things such as that, and Ron has been one of her best friends for years, so the sudden change would probably be a bit strange for her. I also think, that should Ron admit his feelings for her, while they are helping Harry in his quest to find Voldemort's Horcruxes, she would make sure he knows how she feels toward him, but try and keep any relationship that may develop between them from interferring with helping Harry. Despite this, I'm sure that she wouldn't let any feelings between them remain undeveloped as she has obvioulsy liked him for a long time.

How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by Voldemort?
    Hermione would certainly be crushed, as would anyone faced with such a situation. I think that though she would be upset, she would take that as even more of an opportunity to help Harry defeat Voldemort. I think she would become even more determined than she already was, as she would have an even more personal reason to aid in Voldemort's defeat. I also think that she would understand how Harry feels, having his parents both killed by Voldemort, and would be more sypathetic and understanding of any risks Harry is willing to take to ensure that Voldemort is defeated.

Jo has already shown multiple times during the series just how revengeful Hermione can be. We see this when Hermione takes revenge on Rita Skeeter during the fourth book. Hermione we discover is not only revengeful, but determined too. She doesn't just plot revenge or think about it, but goes through with her plan, regardless of the consequences. She doesn't seem to feel any remorse about taking revenge either. We see another good example of taking revenge in book 6 when she sets the canaries on Ron. We see just how much Hermione's can be bent on revenge, especially when her emotions are envolved. Hermione shows another example of revenge by taking McClaggen to Slughorn's party. She proves she is willing to take revenge, even at the sake of taking advantage of other people, otherwise not involved.

Why do you think she and Ron fight constantly, but she doesn't have the courage to come out and say how she feels?
    For exactly the same reason so many people don't show their feelings. The relationship she has built with Ron thus far in the series is more comfortable and less confusing than if she admits her feelings to him. Right now, she knows where they stand and it's easier for her, than having to delve into unknown territories in their relationship. Hermione is probably also scared of rejection. If Ron rejects her, what will happen with the friendship they've built over the years? With all of the fights Ron has with her, she is probably confused about what he feels for her. She isn't sure if Ron is acting how he is, for the same reasons she is, or if he's just oblivious to her feelings. Hermione also doesn't have any experience in admitting her feelings to others without the assurance they feel the same. With Hermione's relationship with Victor, he approached her first, giving her the assurance she needed to build a relationship. With Ron, that hasn't happened.

5 points to Hufflepuff

Dumbledore Prince
    We know that Hermione has the traits of a Ravenclaw. But she is willing to break the rules and she's got courage (even though it's not entirely noticeable).

But the most important part is loyalty. She has remained loyal to Harry - to Harry in particular; ever since she joined the trio.

Book One: She helps Harry and Ron to escape from trouble after the troll encounter. She helps Harry to cross the fire-barrier to reach the Philosopher's Stone.

Book Two: Hermione (and Ron) stay loyal to Harry even though the whole school thinks that he's the heir of Slytherin.

Book Three: She maintains an amicable relationship with Harry even though she is in conflict with Ron.

Book Four (the most important): She remains friends with Harry after he is named the fourth Triwizard champion; even though all other students including Ron suspect him of foul play.

At this point, I was admiring Hermione's loyalty.

Book Five: Ron and Hermione (along with a few others) stick with the theory that Voldemort has returned. They fight Ministry persecution. Her idea of starting the DA (although it was Ginny who came up with the name) is a shining example of her loyalty to the Light side.

Book Six: Hermione doesn't let her platonic relationship with Harry sour in any way despite being hostile with Ron over the whole Won-Won/Lav-Lav thing. If she is perfect, she must realise that Ron's relationship with Lavender is just a passing phase. But she doesn't ... and that leads to the bird attack and a whole lot of other minor incidents.

What would Hermione do, say, if Ron told her how he felt?
    Initially, she would be awkward. She would probably stutter a bit when Ron admits his feelings for her. I can see her getting over the initial awkwardness pretty soon.

She would break down and cry, I suppose. Especially if the person who dies is one of her parents, or Harry, or (even worse), Ron. But she did cry over Dumbledore's death ...

She is clever enough to realise that she must rise above revenge, no matter what the circumstances are.

Such bickering is common between two people who have fallen in love, and not realised it. The Ron/Hermione ship seems to remind me of the Hawkgirl/Green Lantern ship in Justice League.

I suppose the reason why they bicker so much is because their intelligence levels (and , at times, common sense levels) are different. We're back to the 'opposites attract' cliche here, aren't we?

I belive that Hermione doesn't have the courage to say how she feels because she is afraid of Ron's reaction - will he reciprocate or reject her? Of course, I think Ron will have realised something about Hermione's feelings towards him after the little chat in the Greenhouse.

A question to the mods: Is this considered as an essay? I hope not, because it's just a lengthy answer to a set of questions.

Response from GV711: You're responding to a topic/discussion. Therefore, it is not considered an essay.

5 points to Gryffindor

Sam
    Do you think that Hermione would become jealous of a girl if that girl was Harry's girlfriend? Would she try to turn Ron against this girl? (her name is Amy until I can think of a better one). I don't want to make Hermione OOC, but she's closer to Harry than she is to Ron. Would she try to get this girl away from Harry ?

What if this girl appears perfect to Hermione? What if Hermione thinks that this girl is trying to steal Harry away from her and Ron?

Periwinkle
    No, I very much doubt that Hermione is the jealous type. She can get upset, dissapointed and sad, maybe a little angry but she's not going to seek revenge. I believe she's the type of person that would go the cold, but polite way.

Does Hermione like Harry? If so, she would get upset, but she would not turn Ron against her, nor try anything similiar. She's just not that type of person. If Hermione liked Harry and Harry got together with 'Amy', Hermione would respect that, in my opinion. If she does not like Harry, I don't see why she would hate the girl. Does Hermione have reason to dislike Amy? Has Amy done anything to offend Hermione?

Keep those questions in mind when writing this and good luck!