Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger

Mistletoe

Hermione Granger

Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw? What would Hermione do, say, Ron told her how he felt? How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by Voldemort? Do you think that Hermione is the revengful sort? Why do you think she and Ron fight constantly, but she doesn't have the courage to come out and say how she feels?

Discuss anything and everything about Hermione Granger here.

avada_kedavra_this
    *claps* Oh, I love Hermione.

Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?
    I think the simple answer to this is that she's just meant to be a Gryffindor. Yes, she does have a thirst for knowledge and takes learning seriously - but she has many Gryffindor qualities as well. Clearly she can be brave, after all, even putting up your hand in class can be scary to some people, and she does that without a problem. She tells people what she thinks (and can think too much at times), and she does disregard rules when she thinks it's necessary. People tend to think that because Hermione has intelligence she should be in Ravenclaw, but that's only because Ravenclaw's 'claim to fame' is intelligence. Hermione is more than just smart, with the 'more' bit being the Gryffindor part. I think that we still have a lot to see from Hermione Granger.

cherryandphoenixfeather
    I think Hermione is in Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw because she is so loyal, not to mention brave. When Harry and Ron fight, she doesn't choose one side or the other, but stays with them both. Also, whenever they're about to fly into the face of danger, who's there beside them? Hermione, naturally. She didn't shy away from the Department of Mysteries, knowing full well that it was going to be seriously dangerous. She stayed with her friends. It's that sort of bravery and loyalty that make her an excellent Gryffindor.

Hermione and Ron's relationships is one of the more interesting dynamics of the books. It consistently fascinates me how the two of them manage to remain friends despite the constant fights. I think that the two of them take each other for granted, to be honest. It's a given fact that Hermione will always be there to help Ron, and I think she resents that he always is leaning on her. She's more than happy to let him, but I think she resents that it's taken for granted. Also, I think Ron resents the fact that she's always helping him. It's who she is, and she does it because she cares for him, but maybe if she'd let him stand on his own a bit more the two of them wouldn't fight so much. Hermione's overbearing tendencies are what lead to the fights between them so much. She takes most everything to extremes, and that's hard to deal with.

Why doesn't she ever tell him how she feels? It's hard to say. Hermione is very brave, but I think she cares for Ron so much that she's afraid he might reject her. All he ever tells her is that she's bossy and rude, and I think she believes that he may not truly care for her.

Vengeful? Of course she gives in to the call of vengeance--her flight of attack canaries showed us that, as did her vendetta against Rita Skeeter. Hermione's a very passionate person, and I think that when someone wrongs her, she wants revenge on them. She's got a lot of pride and a lot of skill, and the two combined make for a rather unattractive side of her personality.

If someone she loves was killed by Voldemort, I think she would weep and sob for a few days, then go off with a lust for revenge. No matter how smart and logical and cool our Hermione can be, at heart she's a wildly passionate person--and she loves deeply. I believe that she would do anything to avenge her fallen loved ones.

That leads me to an interesting question. Do you believe Hermione is capable of using an Unforgiveable?

5 points to Hufflepuff

Starmaiden
    Why exactly do you think Hermione was originally Sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw?
    They asked us this during the get-to-know-the-other-House project. I think the answer has to do with what you value the most. Me, I had wanted (of course) to be a Gryffindor, but I decided that I'd rather learn than be "courageous". After all, heroism is nice, but bravery can get you killed. I think Hermione would say that courage is far more important than book-learning in the end. What is it she says to Harry at the end of Book 1 -- well, Movie 1, which is the same idea -- "Brains! Cleverness! It's you..." something about how courage is more important than anything in books.

What would Hermione do, say, Ron told her how he felt?
    She...would blush and tell him she felt the same way, and she'd waited long enough, and hadn't he put her through enough trouble already? but without meaning it in a bad way. And they'd both know it.

How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by
    Voldemort?
    Cry. Move on. Fight back. Learn everything about the death that she could, so she could use it against the Dark Lord.

Do you think that Hermione is the revengful sort?
    Yes! Look at her attack-canaries! And she didn't even tell Ron why! And she took proper vengance on Rita Skeeter.
    And no. She lets Malfoy go a lot, when the boys would curse him into oblivion. "He's not worth it!"

Why do you think she and Ron fight constantly, but she doesn't have the courage to come out and say how she feels?
    She's afraid of rejection. She's afraid it'll ruin their friendship. The usual reasons, I think, that a lot of girls hide crushes. And because she overestimates the male sex and thinks that Ron should be able to tell. (Harry can, but then, Harry didn't realize that Ginny still wanted him...)

Is Hermione capable of an Unforgivable?
    Only if under extreme stress and emotion; say, in that scenario when she found that a loved one had been killed. If the killer stood before her, I think she would be able to cast an Avada Kedavra -- but not necessarily a Cruciatus or an Imperius. The latter two require real will to hurt and to torture. The first only requires one powerful blast of emotion, and Hermione's a powerful witch.

5 points to Ravenclaw

Mistletoe
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryandphoenixfeather
    That leads me to an interesting question. Do you believe Hermione is capable of using an Unforgiveable?
    Interesting, interesting... Honestly, I don't think Hermione wouldactually do it. She might find her self emotional and angry enough to have the want to do it, but I doubt she ever would.

Hermione thinks before her actions. Even though she can be a tad bit rash, it's never to the extent of breaking a law, it's usually in the sake of her friends, or the ones she loves.

She may want to hurt someone who has hurt one of her loved ones, but I do not think at all that she would use an Unforgivable, just because she knows the consequences. She knows that she can be jailed for using them, and she would never forgive herself for doing it, no matter how much she loathed the person on the receiving end. She can get very, very angry in the sake of her friends, just look at Malfoy's punch

Never use an Unforgivable though...

Magical Me

I think Hermione's bravery overcomes her intelligence. She does things that are against her better judgement in dire situations and at the request of her friends. The more intelligent you are the more brave you must be to lead yourself into danger, because the highly intelligent have the burden of being able to consider all consequences.

I have a hard time thinking that Ron will ever come out and tell Hermione how he feels. I don't think this is Jo's perferred method of getting people together (see Harry and Ginny). In addition it always seems to read insincere in fanfiction. If he did though I think she would be very gracious. Ron would undoubtably be very nervous and embarrased and so I think she would try to make him more comfortable and would be very honest and upfront about her feelings. Hermione has really been waiting for him to see and acknowledge her all along.

How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by Voldemort?

Action. Although I do think she would grieve considerably more openly than Harry has. In addition she would feel frightened in addition to angry. I think Hermione would need someone to lean on.

Hermione is definitly vengeful to an extent. I don't think she would necessarily hunt down and kill whomever killed her loved one, but I do think she would be relentless in her pursuit of information having to do with the murder. Hermione wants all the facts. She also needs to always be doing something in the face of a delimia. I have a hard time seeing her taking physical revenge against the killer, but, then again, I have a hard time seeing her leaving it to someone else. I have a hard time seeing her use an unforgivable curse. I'm not sure anger and grief would be enough to push her there as it has Harry. In addition, the power to use unforgivable curses is in the power to hate which Hermione probably has no greater supply of than any other witch or wizard of lesser skill.

Why do you think she and Ron fight constantly, but she doesn't have the courage to come out and say how she feels?

Hermione is WISE. She knows that Ron has to come around to his feelings about her. She isn't the type to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Still, she's human and I think her elevated feeling for Ron make it hard for her to dismiss the frustrating and infuriating things he does. I think she fights with him because she can't help it. It's an outlet for all the feelings she can't express to him. She'll let Harry get away with being a prat from time to time, but she has too much passion for Ron to give him the same.

5 points to for your Future House

Oppungo
    Oh, I love Ron and Hermione's relationship! I think they came pretty close to it in HBP when Hermione invites Ron to Slughorn's party. It depends on the situation, but Hermione would probably blush and concentrate on something else so that she didn't show how excited she truly was. Of course, later when she was alone, or maybe with Ginny, she'd squee a little bit! But it would depend on the situation, for instance if Ron kissed her, she'd definitely kiss him back, but I don't think either would be very forward with each other until later in their relationship.

How would Hermione react to finding out that one of her loved ones was killed by Voldemort?
    Of course she'd be upset, she'd probably cry and mourn for them. But after that, I think she'd want vengeance. Hermione's not one to sit at home and wait for something to happen, she'd go out and make it happen, especially if it involved someone she loved.

Yes. If she thinks something is unjust, she'll try and do something to stop it, whether it be elf-rights or someone taking her guy.

Again, I love Hermione and Ron's relationship! Because that's just who they are. You know how the boy who always pulls your hair in the playground does it because he likes you - it's the same kind of psychology with Ron and Hermione - you always tease the one you like!
    I think she doesn't tell him because she's scared he doesn't feel the same way (however glaringly obvious it may be to the rest of the world!), and she doesn't want to lose his friendship. I think they're both just kind of waiting for the right time.

Do you believe Hermione is capable of using an Unforgiveable?
    No. I think she may think that she wants to - but I don't think she would. I really don't think she'd be able to kill another person or cause them harm - remember when she refused to let Harry curse the Death Eater turned baby? So no, I don't - I think she'd probably find more inventive ways of revenge than that!

5 points to Gryffindor

lady-rhian
    Oh, Hermione. My favorite Trio member.

I agree with most of the above posts, especially the opinions posted by cherryandphoenixfeather.

I think many of us forget that Hermione is no longer the idealistic little girl she once was. While she undoubtedly still holds on to the idea of SPEW, she has become less and less concerned for the rules than she was in the first four books. While she keeps Harry and Ron in line (to an extent), her actions have become more impulsive. Is she vengeful? Absolutely. The canary incident with Ron is, by far, the best example. She has also exacted revenge on Rita Skeeter for the past two years through blackmail.

Hermione using an Unforgivable - a very interesting idea, and I thoroughly believe that she would be capable of doing it and, moreover, meaning it. Yes, she stopped Harry from cursing the baby Death Eater. I also agree with those who say that she knows the consequences of an Unforgivable and would potentially come up with more creative ways of revenge. However, we must look at the situation.

With every book, the stakes for the eternal good vs. evil battle have been raised. Before Order of the Phoenix, they knew that Voldemort was evil. They did not know about the Prophecy. They did not know about the horcruxes. And these two pieces of information drastically impact Hermione's potential for using an Unforgivable.

In the final book, we can assume there will be battles, including the much anticipated final battle. There will also be multiple deaths in book seven - JKR has confirmed it in interviews (she recently told reporters that two characters had died who she did not originally intend to). The Trio's actions before cannot be used as a standard for what they will be. The situation before was very grave, indeed, but the Prophecy and the horcruxes have raised the stakes exponentially. Hermione Granger has always been capable of grasping a situation and forseeing future trouble - remember after Umbridge's opening speech in OotP when she explains to Harry and Ron what the speech's undertones meant (and McGonagall's later comment to Harry "Well, I'm glad you listen to Hermione Granger at any rate."). While the Hermione we know, in a rational skirmish, would perhaps try other methods of disarming opponents and exacting revenge (if need be) in more creative fashions, what she will do when it's all on the line is up for grabs. Due to the allusion of multiple deaths in book seven (and the incredible likelihood of one or more Weasley victims), I think that Hermione will have enough fire lit in her to be able to use an AK against a Death Eater if the situation demanded it. The final battle is winner takes all. Period. End of story. No room for compromise. Her best friend's life is on the line, and if he fails, the entire wizarding world is doomed. We know Hermione Granger as a girl who will do what is necessary to achieve her ends. She'd use an AK against a Death Eater.

10 points to Ravenclaw

whittyleah
    I think that she isn't just smart but brave. She can use her intellect in a stressful situation. For example in the Philosopher's Stone, she used her intelligence quickly to help her friends.

I think feels the same way about him, but she was waiting for him to make the first move. So, she welcome his feelings. But then, they are in a war so she may turn him down to keep him safe from losing her. I don't see her as one to just start snogging him. I think she would want to take it slow and build their relationship.

She strikes me as someone who would go into shock at first. She wouldn't talk much and try to act of though nothing was wrong. But then she allow herself to accept it and deal with her emotions in a set way.

Do you think that Hermione is the revengeful sort?
    I don't know... If she had everything taken away from her, all her loved ones killed...maybe. I see her as someone who accepts reality and realizes that there is nothing she can do change it. I think she would try to bring the bad person to justice, but not be their judge and jury.

I think that they are just different people and they fight because of it. And now that they are a little older there is a bit of sexual tension... I think they are both a little afraid of what an intimate relationship would do to their friendship, so that does spur them on a bit.

Do you believe Hermione is capable of using an Unforgivable?
    To protect someone she cares about, yes. If she could stop them and bring them to justice without using one then she would do that.

5 points to Gryffindor

oneslyslytherin
    Yay Hermione.

In TSS, at the Sorting Ceremony, the Sorting Hat sings about all the houses individually. [I]You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindor apart[I]. Hermione demonstrates extreme nerve, considering she's always the goody two shoes who will break the rules for her friends and other's safety and happiness. Hermione is also very courtious and honorable throughout the whole series thus far. She cares about her friends deeply, and demonstrates so on numerous occasions. Gryffindors overall seem to be the "best all around" if you will, and Hermione is not only extremely book smart, she's loyal, cunning, daring, and unafraid of work and hardship. Ravenclaw, on the other hand, is described as, Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, If you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind. Ravenclaw's only claim to fame is their smarts; Hermione goes above and beyond being smart. I think that's why Hermione wound up in Gryffindor over Ravenclaw; she's not just smart, she has depth.

5 points to Slytherin