Thread: Becoming a Death Eater

Hybrid View

Ron x Hermione

Becoming a Death Eater

In my story, I have a man that had wanted to become a Death Eater, hiding this secret from all who know him. He ends up being murdered by the Death Eaters for not being able to complete one of the tasks that had been set for him [murdering someone he loved] to test his cowardice and loyalty. I can't remember if I've just read this sequence many times over in fan fiction or not, but how exactly does one go about becoming a Death Eater?

What I remember is them having to perform a few tasks [numbers vary, one to three or so], usually them being something like killing someone and the tasks becoming harder and harder with each murder, ultimately it being someone they love, like a parent or wife/husband. If they end up doing everything that is asked, they become a Death Eater. If not, they are killed or otherwise blamed for another attack and tortured. Is this how it works or is this a common fan fiction occurence? And if it is a common thing used in FF, how exactly do people become a Death Eater?

I don't want them to have the Dark Mark, either, until the tasks are finished and it is official that they actually are said DE. Would this work?

~Lindsey

MistressOfTime
    I believe that the idea of completing "tasks" as you have mentioned isn't a Canon quality, it's most definitely a Fanfic feature.

I can't remember if I've just read this sequence many times over in fan fiction or not, but how exactly does one go about becoming a Death Eater?
    It must be Fanfic, because I don't recall reading anything specific about it in the books. Honestly, I think Voldemort would prize Pureblood status and loyalty over how many people one could kill.

Is this how it works or is this a common fan fiction occurence? And if it is a common thing used in FF, how exactly do people become a Death Eater?
    I personally haven't read any Fics that include one becoming a Death Eater. However, since we don't know anything Canon for sure, you have free reign here. As long as it flows and makes sense, and the actions are Canon-compliant, I don't see why you couldn't write a sort of "test" for them.

I hope this helped a little bit. Good luck!

--Joy.

Pafoo
    Well, we know almost for a fact that Draco is pretty much completely incapable of murder. And he's a Death Eater. So the whole "kill someone you love thing" is out. I agree that it probably centres around blood status and loyalty.

Emery

Ron x Hermione
    The Death Eater in my story isn't Draco, it's an OC by the name of Christian, and he wanted to hide all fact that he wanted/is becoming a Death Eater.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I think Voldemort would prize Pureblood status and loyalty over how many people one could kill.
    That's very true, I didn't even think about that! Voldemort was a very accomplished Legilimens, and if the DE-in-training didn't know that and his true loyalties weren't actually to him, V would know right off the bat and do away with them. But if their loyalties were to him, V wouldn't hesitate to choose a one or a few tasks to test this. I'm definitely going to incoporate some of the loyalty issues into my story. Thanks you two!

~Lindsey

Lurid
    Hey Linds,

Think about what Voldemort considers:

Purebloods
    He hates Muggles (therefore, they could be used as initiation material)
    He has certain people indebted to him (e.g. Lucius, and therefore Draco)
    People he can use as tools (e.g. Draco in HBP, Rookword had connections at Ministry)
    People set on spiting another (e.g. Barty Crouch Jnr to BCSnr.)

Completing set tasks is almost certainly a FF thing. I don't think being able to kill is a prerequisite, and his followers would be tiffed if they all had to kill someone, and Draco didn't.

Here's the Lexicon page. I can't find anything TOO helpful. There's nothing about transforming them. But it may spark an idea for you.

I think because it's so open to interpretation if you wanted to go with the tasks as your storyline, you'd be more than able to. There's no boundaries love .

Good luck!

Ron x Hermione
    Ah, Steph, you're amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurid
    He hates Muggles (therefore, they could be used as initiation material).
    That's genius! I was still having problems on who my character was going to murder for his initiation, seeing as how I was never really going to state my time period (Harry Potter Era or Marauder Era or earlier), so killing um, killing, say, Luna Lovegood while she's in her seventh year at Hogwarts during the 1940s would be a little odd. Now I won't even have to make a big deal out of the awkwardness this opposes toward the character, since my OC is rather well-known and would most certainly have been acquainted with some of the people he may have been forced to kill in the Wizarding World. This would be nothing for him to do, killing a Muggle.

Now that I've worked that out in my head, I think I'll definitely use this idea, dear. Thanks so very much for your input!

~Lindsey