Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JAPANESE Culture & Language Help

SiriuslyMental
    This is so funny to read, because where I work (Disney), the Japanese guests are our loudest and most enthusiastic. They definitely smile the most and take the most pictures, and they're always so excited, I s'pose because in Japan they are not allowed to actually touch the characters, where they can here. The last thing I thought them to be culturally was quiet and reserved!

One thing that might be noted - many Asian cultures (Japenese included) are very big on gift-giving. Very, very big. As a courtesy thing.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    That actually might be something to consider. I'm sure the student from old wizarding families might have the same free of westerners as the did in the Edo period. But some of the more modern student might actually be excited. C'mon, it Hogwarts! They would be able to do things here that they would never be allowed to do back home.

And since such open friendships are encouraged, some students might jump at the chance to make friends with the western students. I know whenever my old school Japanese exchange students, they were always really talkitive and wanted to go out an experience everything there was to offer.

Oh, NOW we're going demention!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fly to Dawn
    Yuki OnnaThis Names a keeper) 7th year, very pretty, hates Chiharu for being selected as TriWizard Chamption, doesn't believe she is worthy.

Chiharu Sakuraba: I'm not married to Sakuraba, so suggestions would be great. Chiharu is a powerful witch, but her face is horrible disfigured, the other students say it's from the pureblood mania that will eventually destroy all purblood wizards.

Chiharu's friend: nameless for the momentSome of my possibles are Aimi, Akira, Hiromi, Hitomi, Miho, Miyako, Natsumi, Tomomi

And then, we have six more boys to name as well as the three other girls. Go nuts!

And then there are our little first year helpers. For the girl, I'd love to use a ko name, even if they are a little out of date know. Just to further enphisis who she in amoung this school: Hanako, Kameko, Kimiko, Kiyoko, Maiko(also the name for a quisha in training), Natsuko, Sakiko

And for the little boy: maybe Yoshihiro, but my sleeping pills are kicking and I'm call it a night.
    For the kanji of 'Onna', I was thinking along the lines of a kanji for 'On' and a kanji for 'Na' put together. (Like Sakuraba is 'Sakura' and 'Ba' - garden.)

For the other names, 'Aimi' isn't one I've heard before - it sounds like the name 'Ai' + 'mi', so it's probably very modern, and it's not one I'd use. Eriko, Akiko, Risako, Ayako, Momoko, Toko and Yuko are Ko names that are quite modern; Yuiko is a favourite of mine.

(Also, Akira is used more as a boy's name more than a girl's.)

Other name suggestions: Kenichi, Shunnichiro, Kouichi, Heizaburo, Koshiro, Ryuutaro, Shuuhei, Ichirou, and Shinpei are solid boy's names. Some girl's names off the top of my head are: Asami, Fumi, Kayo, Natsuki, Chinami, Moe and Yuki.

This is so funny to read, because where I work (Disney), the Japanese guests are our loudest and most enthusiastic. They definitely smile the most and take the most pictures, and they're always so excited, I s'pose because in Japan they are not allowed to actually touch the characters, where they can here. The last thing I thought them to be culturally was quiet and reserved!

One thing that might be noted - many Asian cultures (Japenese included) are very big on gift-giving. Very, very big. As a courtesy thing.
    We aren't allowed to touch the characters? o.O
    I haven't been to Disneyland for a while, but I think we could...erm, or maybe I'm thinking of the one in France? (I've lived in England for most of my life, and I may be getting mixed up here...>.>)

And yes, we are big on gift-giving, but it's more of a politeness/courtesy thing than actually wanting to give and love. (I'm sounding very disapproving of my country here, sorry...I dislike Japan >.<)

Also, some Japanese people are very hyper, but it tends to be when around/with people they know...

That actually might be something to consider. I'm sure the student from old wizarding families might have the same free of westerners as the did in the Edo period. But some of the more modern student might actually be excited. C'mon, it Hogwarts! They would be able to do things here that they would never be allowed to do back home.

And since such open friendships are encouraged, some students might jump at the chance to make friends with the western students. I know whenever my old school Japanese exchange students, they were always really talkitive and wanted to go out an experience everything there was to offer.

Yes, it just depends on what kind of people they are. Some people can be very interested in the Western society, while others can be a little shy - although if they've been selected to come to Hogwarts, they would probably be in the former category.

As for school names...erm, Somethingsomething Jyuku might be nice. (Jyuku = Academy/school) Perhaps something to do with the place the school is in, or the founder's name.

I'll be back with thoughts for the school structure

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Wonderful!!!

I can't believe how popular this thread has become. I'm going to have to start a whole 'nother writing notebook just to keep track of everything we've discussed. It seems like a lot of work, but it's also so exciting. I did think people would be so interested in wanting o expand this thread. And now the writers on the site really might get a general idea of what magic school is like in Japan!!!

Let's keep it going!!! You would have read Harry Potter if you didn't have a huge imagination!

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Ankh of the Night
    Hm, I don't know much about the actual culture, but, like someone said before, Jo got a lot of her ideas fro mythology and folklore. Well, Encyclopedia Mythica(pantheon.org) is my bible. It has almost everything on mythology there.
    Good luck with your story. I can't wait to read it!
    -Ankh

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Thank you for posting that link. It provided me with a wonderful amount of information. Most Japanese mythology revolves around the Shinto gods, so I'm currently trying to see if there's a way of working all that into my story. I'm also trying to read a lot of Japanese folklore to see if I can come across any stories involving magic.

Also, we've been using this thread to discuss what we think Japanese magic and a Japanese wizard school would be like, in the wonderful little playgrounds called our imaginations. Feel free to contrib!

Give Molly an exersize to use her imagination, and Molly happy. VEEEEE-ERY happy!!!

Brand New Story!

Ankh of the Night
    Glad I could help!
    Another thing- you know how Hogwarts students use quills and parchment? Well, you could have them use bamboo pen or brushes on rice paper (which, actually, is not made from rice at all, but the name makes me hungry!)
    This is actually traditional Chinese writing materials, but since the language and such originated in China, you should roll with it!

Also, I my dad knew some students who had things like pencil cases with manga characters on them saying something in English. Only it was meaningless and random phrases like "Gold paint cans!" since they can't understand it.
    It would be cool if you made a reference to that!
    -Ankh

Fly to Dawn
    Another thing- you know how Hogwarts students use quills and parchment? Well, you could have them use bamboo pen or brushes on rice paper (which, actually, is not made from rice at all, but the name makes me hungry!)
    Personally I'm not too sure about this - I've never heard of rice paper being used. The brushes (pens) would, however, probably use bamboo and animal hair.

Ankh of the Night
    No, it's true. It's actually made from a kind of tree, but is commonly referred to as rice paper. I have a Chinese brush painting book. It's one of the "four sisters" of Chinese painting.

Fly to Dawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankh of the Night
    No, it's true. It's actually made from a kind of tree, but is commonly referred to as rice paper. I have a Chinese brush painting book. It's one of the "four sisters" of Chinese painting.
    Sorry, got a bit confused there. I didn't mean that rice paper was never used in China; in Japan a paper made from hemp was more common...but I've just checked, and the term 'rice paper' is also used to refer to paper made from hemp, so kudos to you