Thread: JAPANESE Culture & Language Help

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

JAPANESE Culture & Language Help

I'm working on a Tri-Wizard story where a Japanese school is invited to participate. This tounament is a very big deal because it is the first time wizarding schools outside of Europe have been allowed to participate. The other school will be no problem, because it will be somewhere in North America. But when I decided to include a Japanese school, I got to thinking about how Eastern Magic differs from Western.

*Do Japanese student have different subject than students in Europe? What would those subjects be?
    *Do the students use wands, or just ones made in different style? Or would they be more likely to staffs, or some other to?
    *I'm pretty sure that East Asian students don't use Latin spells for their magic. Do they use Chinese for their spells?
    *Do think think there are some Japanese wizards have integrated into large cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto? Or would they live in smaller, more remote villages? Remember, Japan is mostly urban and has one of the highest poplation dencities in the world.
    *Do you think the students consentrate on more subjects than others, subjects that might be considered more western.
    *What could some classes be at a Japanese school that wouldn't be at a school like Hogwarts?
    *How do you think they would behave socially towards the western students?
    *What would the teacher be like? Students in Japan are very respectful of their teachers. Do think they would have more teachers than just the headmaster.
    *I heard one custom where the younger students serve the older ones in the idea that they will learn. Do think they would bring some first years along for this purpose?

And any other cultural and language help you guys think would be relevent.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

lunaselenia
    *Do Japanese student have different subject than students in Europe? What would those subjects be?

Well I don`t think that all of the subjects are different, but I think that some new subjects will be appropriate, like The dueling class or something like that, or maybe katana lessons.

*Do the students use wands, or just ones made in different style? Or would they be more likely to staffs, or some other to?

It would be more simple that they use wands. But, maybe they have a unique stile of wearing them. Like a samurai is wear his katana.

*I'm pretty sure that East Asian students don't use Latin spells for their magic. Do they use Chinese for their spells?

Well if they are Japanese they will use Japanese language. I will suggest that that you use simple words for example Wind-kaze so i will give you one useful link to translate from English to Japanese http://www.dicts.info/ Just be sure to use romanji Japanese other wise you will come up with kanji.

*Do think think there are some Japanese wizards have integrated into large cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto? Or would they live in smaller, more remote villages? Remember, Japan is mostly urban and has one of the highest poplation dencities in the world.

Well the wizards can`t run away from the muggles. So, they probably live in the cites, or in the mountains if they don`t like muggles much.

*Do you think the students consentrate on more subjects than others, subjects that might be considered more western.

I don`t think that I understand that question.

*What could some classes be at a Japanese school that wouldn't be at a school like Hogwarts?

Well maybe the classes will be pretty much the same, but i think that the the students will be a lot different from Hogwarts students. For example they will rise and bound every time a teacher enters the class, or whenever they see an elder in the corridors or in the street.

With respect. They will be polite and silent most of the time, mostly because they are not familiar with English language.

*What would the teacher be like? Students in Japan are very respectful of their teachers. Do think they would have more teachers than just the headmaster.

O definitely they will have more strict teachers than the Hogwarts ones. They will be much more demanding and they will punish the students much more severely. And they definitely will have a headmaster. A school without a headmaster is no school. Somebody need to take care of all the administration, and that is a Headmaster or Deputy Headmaster.

*I heard one custom where the younger students serve the older ones in the idea that they will learn. Do think they would bring some first years along for this purpose?

Well they might. But, only the first year students that are much more willing to teach new things, not all of them.

And now something that came across my mind when i think about Japanese students. They will have to do all the things by them self. Example they do the beds at the morning, cleaning they desks after class, laundry on the weekend and stuff.

Hope I was helpful, and sorry for my English i still need a translator when it comes for some words.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Thanks for the help! It's actually kinda fun trying to imagine how cultures outside Europe percieve magic. I'm working on the school from North America, either the United States or Mexico, I know both cultures pretty well, but Japan is taking a lot more effort to work out.

I should research the possiblity of strictly Asian magic class. Oh, how we suffer for our art!

That's a cool idea of how to carry the wands. The would probably be made in a very different style though. In my stories, American wands are long, thin, wrapped in silk, and they also incorperate stones. I should start thinking about how Japanese wands would be made.

I wonder if the student say their spells in Chinese because in the western world, LAtin is considered a cradle language. I know that the kanji system originated in China, and now most east Asian languages use it. That's why I wonder if the Chinese language is the root of Asian spells.

I think you misunderstood me before about the headmaster. What I meant to say was, since the students have such respect for their teachers, would they bring more teachers to Hogwarts with them than just the headmaster like they did in GoF.

Thiese are all useful things to know about Japanese students. Since they do all these chores themselves, their school probably doean't use house elves, right.

Wow, my writing prof was right! When you create characters, you have to know them right down to what their favorite flavor of ice cream is! It's a lot to think about. Thanks for the help. Anyone else want to add imput or opinions.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

lunaselenia
    Any time... As for the wands I have one idea that just came up to me... Make them normal, but add to them some kanji emblem that describes your character. For example if your character is called Orihime (female name) you can add kanji that represent her like Hime (meaning-princess). Just some random thought.

And as for the professors, it is my fault, I didn`t understand the question. But , you can send another professor with them, like some sort of helper for they Headmaster.

And one more thing, will you write the spells in Latin or in Kanji (hope that you know what I mean).... For example will you wright wind like kaze (Romanji) or like 風 (Kanji).

Fly to Dawn
    Do Japanese student have different subject than students in Europe? What would those subjects be?

Well, subjects Muggle!Japanese students have that European/American students don't have is Chinese Classics, but as that's pretty much like Europeans learning Latin, I don't think they would have that in the Wizarding World. Katanas could be considered Muggle things (I mean, they are muggle weapons), though - although Godric Gryffindor did have a sword, we know that in the Wizarding World wands and spells are used to kill, rather than swords and other Muggle weapons. So, perhaps Katanas weren't used in the Japanese Wizarding Society.

J.K. Rowling bases the HP series on lots of myths, legends, and general stereotypes and ideas Europeans have - wizards wearing robes, having wands, using cauldrons...her method of creating the Wizarding World in England/Europe can't be directly applied to a Japanese Wizarding Society. Witches and wizards themselves are a concept not found in traditional Japanese cultures - the nearest Japanese myth/legend I can think of which concerns a super-human-ish character is Shotoku Taishi, but then, he is a historical figure as well, although recently historians have begun to doubt his existence. They are the Onmyoji, of course, who use their magic/powers to banish curses and Oni (Demons) and other supernatural creatures, and they use Fuda (pieces of paper) with Okyou written on them. Okyous are somewhat Buddhist in nature, but they could definitely work - the Japanese Wizarding Society would become awfully primitive, however. If there was a Japanese Wizarding World, I suspect it would be pretty different from the one in Europe.

See above.

As Chinese is the basis of the Japanese language, maybe yes, or maybe Japanese people would use old Japanese (used around the Heian era, maybe?) instead. I'm thinking about the Okyous here. But yes, Chinese is a very good option.

Well, Japan is mostly covered in trees and mountains - as lunaselenia said, mountains would be a good option.

Do you mean that the students would concentrate more on subjects that were western, or concentrate less? Japan was in a state of seclusion in the Edo period (17th-19th Century), and their only contact with the rest of the world was through two tiny ports - and they only traded with Holland and China. After Japan opened it's gates, they did turn towards Europe and tended to copy and adopt European values, traditions, and culture, but up until then, they mostly looked to China for inspiration. (Although Christianity came in through Portuguese and Spanish ships earlier than that.)

Of course, this is all the Muggle side of history - as I said before, if you do want to create an original Japanese Wizarding World you do need to think about what is Muggle and what's not. Magic and sorcery aren't things that are found in Japanese stories and legends, and for that reason it would be hard to create a Wizarding society in Japan.

See above.

If we're going with Edo values, then they would be scared :-P
    The Japanese are generally shy, tend to keep themselves to themselves and go around in groups. I am Japanese myself, and this is the aspect of Japanese people I dislike most. I don't think they would try and make friends with the western students - if the teachers told them to, for the sake of their learnings, they would perhaps try and (awkwardly) bond. It depends on the period you're basing your Japanese society on here, but whatever the period, they would be awed.

They would be stricter for sure, perhaps more polite, and with a zero sense of humour and sarcasm. (No, seriously.)

Well, it's not actually 'serve' - in modern days the younger students are generally respectful towards the senior students, a custom that's been in the Japanese society for a long time. The concept of junior students 'serving' their senior students is very Japanese, but they don't, for example, make tea for them or wash their clothes or anything, like a personal servant - one thing it's far from is personal. I don't know how it's relevant to teachers bringing younger students in, though.

Erm, did I cover everything?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Well, Japan is mostly covered in trees and mountains - as lunaselenia said, mountains would be a good option.
    So the students who are from large cities would probably me in the minority. Oh, well, that just makes it more interesting. A few wizard families scattered in these small remote villeges. Oh, now my head is swimming with possiblity.

They are the Onmyoji, of course, who use their magic/powers to banish curses and Oni (Demons) and other supernatural creatures, and they use Fuda (pieces of paper) with Okyou written on them. Okyous are somewhat Buddhist in nature, but they could definitely work - the Japanese Wizarding Society would become awfully primitive, however. If there was a Japanese Wizarding World, I suspect it would be pretty different from the one in Europe.
    Yes, it is quite a challange coming up with a Japanese wizarding world. There is almost nothing on the internet, and so far, a lot of my ideas are coming anime show at three in the morning. That's why I wanted to start this thread now. I wanted to get a good basis for the knowlage before I start to write. But if you guys ARE Japanese, I'd also love some of you opinions on what YOU believe the Japanese wizarding world is like.

Also, witch and wizard seem like fairly European words to me. Do think they would call themselves sorcerers and sorceresses. I know a few of the American students call themselves shamen.

we're going with Edo values, then they would be scared :-P
    They would probably be a bit tradtional, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're Edo. Remember, Japan probably has Muggleborns too. I would say the pureblood students would be bordering on Edo, but everyone else would be fairly modern.

P.S. I probably should have mentioned this earlier. This is going to be a next generation fic with Albus, Rose, and Scorpius in their fifth year. But then, the wizarding world is fairly primative. This might all be a good basis.

I don't think they would try and make friends with the western students - if the teachers told them to, for the sake of their learnings, they would perhaps try and (awkwardly) bond.
    Oh, yes. This WILL be fun. The Japanese students won't want to talk to anyone and the Americans won't shut up! Beautiful. It will already be akward since the Tri-Wizard Champions have to spend so much time together. But I'm guessing they won't be inviting each other to the Yule Ball.

As for the wands I have one idea that just came up to me... Make them normal, but add to them some kanji emblem that describes your character. For example if your character is called Orihime (female name) you can add kanji that represent her like Hime (meaning-princess). Just some random thought.
    I LOVE this idea. Especially since I'm already having so much fun thinking of names for the students. Even if I'm going to write a few of their names into the story, I'm going to think of names for all of them. Remember, know your characters down to their ice cream!

So far, I only have two names I know I'm going to stick with. One 7th year, Yuki Onna (yes like Snow Woman, I got insperation for JK's Fleur Delacour), and she is at majors odd with the Tri-Wizard Champ from (Still no name. Any ideas?), Chiharu Sakuraba. I like the idea of combinding the winter and spring element.

Thanks for everyones help. It fragmented still, but it's definantly starting to come together.

Brand New Story!