Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cedric Diggory

leahsm2
    We see what happens to Cho after Cedric's death, but not his parents. Do you think they were able to get over their loss?

youaremylifenow
    Its doubtful that Cedric's parents would get over his loss. Losing your child is probably one of the worst things that could happen to you. If you ask one of your parents, or a parent in general, they'll most likely tell you it would the end of their world.

Its not like Cedric was a problem child, either. He was a golden boy; polite, kind, and always the gentleman. So you'd think that his parents would be that much more devasted. They were not only losing a son, as if that weren't enough to kill someone, there losing a boy of dying breed. It gets harder and harder to find all-around good guys, and Cedric was one of those.

Cho loved Cedric, but didn't love him like his mother loved him. She hadn't known him for his whole life or given birth to him.

The guilt for Cedric's father might have it made harder to get over the loss. I'm assuming he felt guilty because it seemed that pressured his son a little bit. If he hadn't encouraged Cedric to enter the Tournament, then he'd still be alive. Its mostly speculation on my part, but it seems pretty plausible.

youaremylifenow
    I'm sorry for double-posting. It's been like three months since somebody's used this thread and I was the last one.

I have some questions about Cedric's mannerism. Cedric, to me, seems like a gentleman. Would he, do you think, hold doors open for girls? Or sit when a girl sits and stands when she stands? (my best friend actucally does this. It gets really annoying because I feel bad to stand up because he refuses to sit down. He says he learnt it in another lifetime and just can't break the habit.) Or put his robe down on a puddle, so she wouldn't have to step in water?

What do you think some of Cedric's flaws were? He wasn't described as very smart. Do you think that maybe Cho could have tutored him (I realize the two-year age difference, but still)?

Do you think Cedric would have had strong views on anything? Like war? Or the rights of houselves or something? Do you think he had it in him to be an activist?

Thank you in advance for your opnion.

-Alex

Inverarity
    Would he, do you think, hold doors open for girls?

Probably. But he might hold them open for boys too, just to be polite.

Or sit when a girl sits and stands when she stands? (my best friend actucally does this. It gets really annoying because I feel bad to stand up because he refuses to sit down. He says he learnt it in another lifetime and just can't break the habit.)

That's pretty old-fashioned. Cedric was a gentleman and a Hufflepuff, but not a Victorian squire. I suppose you could say that's how he was raised, but he was more likely like most other teenagers at Hogwarts, albeit more well-mannered than most.

Or put his robe down on a puddle, so she wouldn't have to step in water?

What, a witch can't clear a puddle on her own? He'd probably help her over or around it, but putting his robe down strikes me as a little much.

What do you think some of Cedric's flaws were? He wasn't described as very smart. Do you think that maybe Cho could have tutored him (I realize the two-year age difference, but still)?

He wasn't described as not smart either, and he was a Prefect and a Quidditch captain. He might not have brilliant, but I doubt he was slow.

Flaws? Maybe he was conceited. After all, he knew girls liked him and that he was quite a catch. You could always give him a secret as well. Maybe he was hiding the fact that he was gay. Or maybe that "perfect gentleman" act went out the window in private, and Cho didn't want to admit that he was grabby. But if you don't want it to be anything that would tarnish him, you could give him some more mundane flaw. Perhaps he tended not to pay attention when he should, perhaps he had a habit of daydreaming, perhaps his relationship with his father wasn't great (which would make his death all the more tragic for his parents). Maybe along with being a gentleman, he was also an old-fashioned sexist.

Do you think Cedric would have had strong views on anything? Like war? Or the rights of houselves or something? Do you think he had it in him to be an activist?

He probably did have it in him to be an activist. I'm sure he'd have joined the D.A., if he'd lived. I doubt he'd have immediately joined Hermione's campaign for house-elf rights, though he might have been convinced of the rightness of it. I tend to think, though, that he was the sort of guy for whom things had always come a little too easily. He was handsome, likeable, smart enough, athletic, came from a decent family... so maybe he didn't have strong feelings because he'd never experienced real hardship.

Evester
    Yes. It's simple, polite, most people do it anyway. And like Inverarity said, he'll probably do it for anyone- teachers, boys, Filch... lol.

Or sit when a girl sits and stands when she stands?
    Umm, that's a little extreme for this day and age. I could see him standing to greet someone, and standing when they left, but perhaps not every single time the girl does it.

Way too extreme.

Excuse me, but who exactly described him as not smart? The Weasley twins, I believe, and can you imagine them saying anything nicer about a strong Quidditch opponent? They didn't like him because he beat them in Harry's third year. And I believe that Oliver Wood even stood up for Cedric, saying that he had "put together an excellent team" or something. So you need to take into account people's personal prejudices. Cedric was brilliant, he could be nothing less to be chosen as the Hogwarts champion in the TriWizard. So I really can't see Cho tutoring him as plausible. (And by the way, it's only a one year difference between them- Cho was a year above Harry and Cedric was two above Harry.)

Now for flaws, I agree that he could be a little conceited, but he was always described as rather reserved, so he would not be a Sirius or James type personality. In my story, his main flaw is that he is too trusting or a little too eager to please, which inhibits some of his own ambitions.. So him having a bit of a tiff with his father is plausible. As for secrets he's hiding, you can really make up anything, there is no canon supporting one thing or another, so you have free reign.

Another thing, I have always imagined him as being rather rich, or his family as rather rich, so perhaps another flaw could be him failing to relate to people of less social status. But certainly not in a mean way, perhaps just in a disconnected way, a disinterested way. But then again, he is a Hufflepuff, so he is supposed to be kind. O_o

I also agree with Inverarity here, about him not really having strong views. I do think he would have joined the DA, and I don't think he would have been interested in SPEW. I am assuming he was from a Pure blood family, and that he would have grown up with elves, not have been shocked like Hermione. And remember Amos Diggory's behavior around elves in GoF. That was his job, I don't think he would have instilled other opinons in Cedric at home. I think to Cedric, house elves would just be something usual, something normal, like most other wizards thought. (So in Hermione's opinon, another flaw!)

As you can see, I love talking about Cedric, especially as he is my main muse right now with my WIP. He's a fun character, and I try to make him normal- not having glaring flaws, but not being perfect either.

~Eve

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

I am a firm believer in creating flaws in characters. Every real person has character flaws (I'm impatient, can hold a grudge forever, and three steps away from being clinically manic (although I actually like that about myself)), so for a character to seem real, they need flaws as well. Even someone as seemingly perfect as Cedric.

I rather like the idea that Inverarity had about him being slightly sexist, even if it did always surface. I doubt Cho would have seen very much of it, sense he was in love with her and Cho does seem a bit feminine, but maybe more against Fleur. I always believed Fleur had a somewhat bad temperment, and if Cedric said something to insult her (maybe about being a girl and competeing in the Tounament), I could easily see her retaliating.

Also, I like the idea of him having a poor relationship with his father. Kids like that were a dime a dozen at my old high school. They work and work and try to be the best at everything in order to please their parents, but it is never enough. I can really see Cedric as being one of these kids. And it would make his death all the more tragic.

Wow, when you give Cedric a human side, he suddenly becomes a much more interesting character. I'll post again if I think of anything else.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Double posting to pose a question about a detail I can't quite recall from GoF.

After being named the Tri-Wizard champion, did Cedric still play Quidditch for Hufflepuff? Is he still expected to perform his duties as a prefect? I know he would have been excused from his end of the year axams, but I also wonder about these other things.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med

After being named the Tri-Wizard champion, did Cedric still play Quidditch for Hufflepuff? Is he still expected to perform his duties as a prefect? I know he would have been excused from his end of the year axams, but I also wonder about these other things.
    The Quidditch Cup was canceled that year because of the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

He was still a Prefect, because he was using the Prefect's Bathroom.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

The Gentleman, Cedric

Oh yes. I think he would. It's just the polite thing to do, no matter whether it's a girl or a guy, if they are coming on behind you and you just let the door close in their face, it's rude. I cannot imagine Cedric being rude.

Or sit when a girl sits and stands when she stands?

Maybe not everytime she stood up, but when a girl joins him at his table or stands up to go I think he would. And I think he would pull it off very nicely. Sometimes guys try to do this (stand up, sit down when girls get up, sit down) and it's akward as anything. I think Cedric would smile, stand up and help the girl out of her coat or something. Maybe the coat thing sounds old fashioned or too mature, but I think of him as being very mature. Maybe it comes with the honest, humble, demanding-a-rematch-for-a-game-he-won type fair, personality.

I have never heard of real people doing this. Ever. Not even back in the time of Jane Austen, when being polite was an art. If it was a huge puddle and he liked the girl in question, I can imagine him taking her hand and helping her jump over it, but more for the sake of the giggles that would come from it then because she needed his help.

What do you think some of Cedric's flaws were?

That is a hard question. Maybe a weak self image? That would explain why he is so modest and yet so talented. He is constantly trying to prove himself... to himself!

Do you think that maybe Cho could have tutored him (I realize the two-year age difference, but still)?

He may be from Hufflepuff- Duffers according to Hagrid (Gryffindor-biased Hagrid)- and Cho may be from Ravenclaw- the house that prizes intelligence- but I don't get the idea that Cho is the most talented witch in the bunch, and from no word in any of the books do we find that Cedric is anything less than Outstanding grade level. If any tutoring were to happen between them, I think it far more likely that it would be him tutoring her.

He may have had passionate ideas on many things, but I would think House-Elves would not be one of them. Hermione's thing on Elf rights seems to be entirely unheard of, totally out of the box, way out there thinking in the Wizarding World. I don't know where he would have developed any strong views on War, it seems that most people who have them have lived through a War already to gain those views.

This is all just my opinion. I hope it helps.

Now I have some questions.

What do you think attracts Cedric? Why did he decide to go out with Cho? What is it about her that makes old Ceddy boy's heart beat faster?

Really, I have never liked Cho's character too much. I am confused as to why Cedric, or Harry, for that matter, would like her.

We know that Harry's infatuation was based mainly on looks- could Cedric have liked her for the same reason- because she was pretty?

Well, ta ta!

-bookworm

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwartsbookworm

I defenatly think so.

\Or sit when a girl sits and stands when she stands?

I guess it depends on the situation.

I've never heard of anyone doing that these days, so I'd defenatly say no.

What do you think some of Cedric's flaws were?

I always have thought Cedric to want to please everyone, so he might give into peer pressure sometimes (not pressure to do anything illegal, but maybe he would just give into people.)

Do you think that maybe Cho could have tutored him (I realize the two-year age difference, but still)?

I doubt she would have tutored him. We never are told that Cedric is a genius with a mega-high IQ, but he is still described as intellagent.

I never thought that he'd join SPEW because of what he's exposed to at home, and I really can't see him in politics, but he does seem to be the character to have very strong opinions and to want to voice them.
    I hope this helps, and I would love to read your fic when it's done.