Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diseases

MarauderMaiden

Cancer in Wizards

Cancer in wizards is something I think that would exist, because wizards and Muggles have the same basic makeup- they're all humans, after all. However, I think that they would call it by another name (probably because when it first showed up in wizards, the Pureblood maniacs wanted to sever all ties with Muggles). Or maybe they aren't sure what causes the death when the wizard in question has cancer, so they make something up, like "So-and-so probably died from Mad Hippogriff Disease," etc. I'm not sure how well they can autopsy those who've died, so maybe that wouldn't even be a possibility, but I think that it's surely possible that cancer is not a well -known disease in the wizarding world.

I can't really think of anything else that would have the character waste away without her friends knowing, so you're right, cancer is probably your best bet. Maybe she is Muggleborn or Half-blood, so she knows what she is dying from, but her friends wouldn't really notice unless they really read into it.

Hope that this helped a little! Good luck with your fic, I hope everything works out!

PadfootnPeeves
    For cancer, you can, like someone else said, just make up a new name for it. You could translate it into another language, or write it backwarsd so it looks different. Most people won't recognize it- it took me years to figure out that the Mirror of Erised's script was backwards

If the cancer thing doesn't work out, you could have the character be poisoned. If they had one of those longer poisons that kill more slowly, then they would (obviously) know they were dying. And they could keep it a secret if they wanted; they could just say they had a fever or whatnot.

thegirllikeme
    Cancer in wizards is something I think that would exist, because wizards and Muggles have the same basic makeup- they're all humans, after all. However, I think that they would call it by another name (probably because when it first showed up in wizards, the Pureblood maniacs wanted to sever all ties with Muggles). Or maybe they aren't sure what causes the death when the wizard in question has cancer, so they make something up, like "So-and-so probably died from Mad Hippogriff Disease," etc. I'm not sure how well they can autopsy those who've died, so maybe that wouldn't even be a possibility, but I think that it's surely possible that cancer is not a well -known disease in the wizarding world.
    That was actually my idea, that it would be what the Muggles called cancer, but the wizards would call it by a different name and it would be so rare that no one had really studied it enough to find a cure for it. I figured that at the beginning of wizards, this disease probably wasn't around, but as they started marrying Muggles it would have started. This person, though, is mainly pureblood (both their parents are wizards, but it wouldn't be too much trouble to work Muggle blood into their genes. Everyone, except perhaps the Slytherins, had Muggle blood in them somewhere). Of course, the disease would be rare, and probably would effect wizards differently - so basically I would make it into a slightly new disease, based on cancer. I just don't know if I should or not. It's really not canon either way.

However, I will probably either do this alteration of cancer or do a completely new disease to fit into canon, something that only wizard's can contract, that isn't contagious, etc. etc. I just don't know which one would be best.

More opinions are welcome.

SiriuslyMental
    EVERYONE has Muggle in them. Even the Malfoys. Even Voldemort.

I like the idea of renaming cancer.

vampitude
    If you do end up renaming cancer, be sure to make several obvious ties to it so all your readers get it.

You don't always have to use a real disease. What if she didn't even know what the disease was? That way it would be impossible to treat anyways.

Rose