Thread: Scotland in the late 1800s.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Scotland in the late 1800s.

I looked in the language and culture section, but there wasn't anywhere I could ask this, so I hope asking here is all right. Does anyone know what Scotland in the late 1800s was like? Would it have been Victorian like England? Thanks to anyone who can help!

~nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

hermione_granger4life
    I'm not sure how much this will help but this is all that I could really find about Scotland in the late 1800's. This is part of an article I found:

To make matters worse, in 1843, after long years of controversy over the right of the state to interfere in church affairs, a substantial proportion of the ministers, elders and members left the Church of Scotland and founded the Free Church. This 'Disruption' had far-reaching consequences. The Free Church set itself the task of providing a second network of churches, manses and schools, duplicating those of the established 'Auld Kirk'. The latter, weakened by the loss of almost half its members, was no longer able to meet its traditional responsibilities, and thus the provision of poor relief and of education at parish level became a matter for the state or the local authorities in counties and burghs.

Parliament had acted at various times during the century to remedy some of the worst consequences of industrialisation. A succession of Factory Acts had regulated hours and age of workers, and the Coal Mines Acts had prohibited underground working by women and children. But the issues of politics were still dictated by the interest and opinions of a minority. Despite the extension of voting rights in 1832, 1867 and 1884, only 58 per cent of adult males had the vote, and women not at all. Political battles were fought over the issues which interested the comparatively prosperous, comparatively secure sections of the community.

Unemployment was not an issue because few voters were unemployed. Housing conditions were not an issue because voters were, in general, comfortably housed. Poverty could be blamed on laziness and drink, because voters were seldom poor. Politics, as the century neared its end, were dominated by Irish Home Rule, the recurring massacres of Armenians and Bulgarians by Turks, and the proposal to abandon Free Trade and reintroduce protective tariffs.

For the problems of the industrial workers and the poor to secure attention a change in the whole basis of politics and parties was required.
    It sounds to me that Scotland in the late 1800's would have been a very political centered place. New discoveries were being made and people were sort of arguing over these new discoveries. I think you could probably use the Victorian theme as long as you put something in about industrialization and maybe a little about politics. Sorry if this doesn't help much but it was all I could find!

**Emma

sheltered_ambitions
    Hi There!
    Scotland in the late 1800's was the time of the industrial revolution. People from Germany and Italy and similar countries were coming in to fill the industrial needs. Canals and Railroads were being built for transportation and such. I believe that the close european countries such as England, Ireland and Scotland were all somewhat Victorian-like. There was a lot of political stuff happening as well.
    Hope I helped!
    Cheers,

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Thanks you guys; your help is appreciated!

gbtna50characters
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye