Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minerva McGonagall

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Exactly when was it, do you believe, when Professor McGonagall retired from teacher? I want think she was at least there for Teddy's first year, but I am not certain. Any opinions?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by Molly:
    Exactly when was it, do you believe, when Professor McGonagall retired from teacher? I want think she was at least there for Teddy's first year, but I am not certain. Any opinions?
    This is what is posted on Lexicon.

Hogwarts: Transfiguration Professor 1956-1998; Deputy Headmistress 1991-1998.
    House: Gryffindor (c. 1937-44); Head of Gryffindor 1991-1998.
    So, she retired after the Battle. I believe Professor Flitwick became Deputy Headmaster when Professor McGonagall took over as Headmistress, so it is possible he became Headmaster, but I doubt it. I think someone new was brought in. I have no canon fact to back this up, just a feeling.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Yes, but there is nothing on here about her time served as the school's headmistress. I'm not a hundred percent sure she retired right after the Battle. In an interview, I believe J.K. said Professor McGonagall retired from her post because "she was getting on in years".

I'm not sure. A lot fics have her as headmistress at least a couple years later. I suppose I'll research some more and wait for a few more opinions.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting because I have a question to post on this thread.

Do you think it is a fair to say that Professor McGonagall is capable of having rebellious tendancies in her adult years? I know she thought against Voldemort, but I don't feel like that was really rebellion. How far do you think Professor McGonagall's rebellion could stretch? What would be her limitations in this sort of attitude?

Brand New Story!

Finest Firewhisky
    I think McGonagall has the tendancy to disregard the rules where she sees fit. She tends to abide by Umbridge's rules in OotP in order to be there for the students, on Dumbledore's advice, but intervenes against her when she goes after Hagrid. Similarly, she is vocal but not openly rebellious against the Carrows in DH, but incapacites them both at the end, before chucking Snape out of the school. She is, of course, a member of the secret (and presumably illegal) Order throughout both wars.

So she keeps a leash on her rebellious side in order to protect those around her, but is very vocal at the least and outwardly agressive when she needs to be. I'd say she'd not be as openly rebellious as Harry or Sirius, but just as much as, say, Herminone would be.

Jake

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Do you think Professor McGonagall could ever rebel against the rules for selfish reasons or out of her own self-interest?

Brand New Story!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Do you think Professor McGonagall could ever rebel against the rules for selfish reasons or out of her own self-interest?
    No, I can't see her doing that at all, unless she underwent a personality change due to a bump on the head.

McGonagall always strikes me as someone who abides by rules because she likes them, although she'll rebel against rules when necessary if she thinks they're unfair. If you look at her and Snape, she applies the rules vigorously and fairly across the whole spectrum of students, whereas Snape seems to disregard them in response to the Slytherins - he never deducts points from Malfoy, for instance.

In regard to McGonagall rebelling, under Umbridge's reign, she did rebel - quietly - and I can imagine her doing so under the reign of the Carrows. She'll always protect her students for instance.

Under Umbridge she assists Peeves by telling him which way the chandelier unscrews and she doesn't assist Umbridge when Peeves chases Dolores out of Hogwarts with her (McGonagall's) walking stick.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

weasleywannabe47

No, I don't. Everything we see McGonagall do throughout the books, is for the good of her Gryffindors, the school, or the Wizarding world.

She rebelled under Umbridge for the students of the school. What little we see her doing in DH against the Carrows shows her number one priority is to make Hogwarts a safe place to learn.

I truly do not see her doing ANYTHING motivated by selfish reasons, though, if you have a good explanation for the change of character, perhaps, but highly unplausible.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Does anyone know if Professor McGonagall is still live by the time Albus and Rose start Hogwarts? We know that the reason she left the position of headmistress was because 'she was getting on in years', but what do you think would be a believable date for her death.

Also, do we have any idea how old she was when she finally did leave Hogwarts?

Brand New Story!

PhoenixAscendant
    I'd imagine she'd leave Hogwarts around the age of 85 or so. We do not know exactly when. It seems most wizards and witches would probably die in their early 100's. She'd probably die a little earlier. 4 Stunners to the chest, she'd never heal completely.