Thread: Minerva McGonagall

Hybrid View

dancingcarrot21

Minerva McGonagall

Since no one seems to have started a thread for the Gryffindor Head of House and Deputy Headmistress, I will.

Because I have a quick erm, question, that I want some opinions on.

Minerva McGonagall appears to be an enthusiast when it comes to Quidditch and her Gryffindor house team playing in the sport: She supports Potter and gives him some leniency, she admits she was ashamed she lost at Quidditch to Snape in the past, she's upset when Umbridge won't let Harry play, and she does Quidditch commentary.

Yes, she does still follow the rules. Like when she suspends Harry from Quidditch in 'Half-Blood Prince' because of what he did to Draco. Or when she insisted to inspect Harry's Firebolt in 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But she is still zealous about the sport, and lenient to those who play it.

Ex.: She discussed having Harry on the team in his first-year, even when it was against the Hogwarts' rules.

So, my question is, do you think she actually was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team when she was a student at Hogwarts? Or do you think she was a spectator of the sport? Or perhaps, like Lee Jordan, and just did the commentary?

If she was on the Quidditch team, what position do you think she'd play in? What position would best suit her skills, personality, and interest?

Beth: 10 points off for not reading rules

slytherins_queen2
    Howdy! I just wanted to say before I answer your questions, that I absolutely adore McGonnagall. She's one of my favorite characters in the series. Anyway back to the questions

So, my question is, do you think she actually was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team when she was a student at Hogwarts? Or do you think she was a spectator of the sport? Or perhaps, like Lee Jordan, and just did the commentary?

It's a little hard to imagine Minerva as young to be honest. xDD I'm not sure if she actually played the sport (back in her era were girls even allowed to play Quidditch? Who knows?), perhaps she did-and if she did that would be awesome. I think she was a spectator maybe even did the commentary which I can defiantly see her doing.

If she was on the Quidditch team, what position do you think she'd play in? What position would best suit her skills, personality, and interest?

A chaser, I think. She seems the crazy sports woman who wouldn't just want to be sitting on her broom for goodness knows how long just to find a small golden snitch. I also think being the Keeper would bore her slightly, standing guard, waiting for the quaffle to come up her end... She may have been a beater. In fact it's very funny to picture her being a beater, as we know at the best of times she loses her temper, I'd hate to be on the other team if she was a beater. But I think she was a chaser, she strikes me as the type of person who'd want to be in the action chasing the Quaffle, bumping into people... Etc. I hope this post made sense and didn't confuse/bore you, and helped if only a little bit.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Following McGonagall's personality, I think that thinking that she did play and she did not both make sense.

Personally, I'm inclined to picture her as a Prefect, and even as Head Girl, as a young imitation of the Professor McGonagall we know: strict about rules, prefering not to show her emotions, but always fair and not as cold as she looks from the outside. I also see her having a *lot* of house pride, so she seems more like a very enthusiastic spectator than a part of the team. I can see her shouting out her guts from the tribunes during a match - Quidditch seems like a perfect activity for someone as reserved as her to release her emotions: during a match, she can shout and jump and release her enegery as freely as possible, so to me, it makes more sense if she's a spectator.

However, for the very same reason, it seems reasonable for her to be on the team. If she were a player, I can see her as a Beater, beating the quaffle with as much force as she can muster. Also because I see a protective side in her. It seems like something she'd have fun.

I think it's better to first picture the young Minerva McGonagall, flesh her out, and then decide whether that image in your mind would be a player or mere watcher. I mean, as long as you have a firm grasp on her personality, making her play Quidditch may seem perfectly fine. The important thing is to let her be Minerva and then decide if she suits a position you put her into or not. As long as you can justify her actions and make them conform with her personality, playing Quidditch or not playing Quidditch both will work.

Was this helpful at all?

Beth: Good commentary with good reasoning. 5 points
    The Run of the Mill

The phenomenal banner is by MissBean

Eowyn89
    I think that these questions have been answered perfectly so far, but I had to throw my two cents in there. For one thing, McGonagall is one tough cookie, and I think that playing such a vigorous sport as Quidditch in her days could have shaped her into being the hard woman that she is. If she did play I think the most likely positions would be Beater, or Chaser, because they seem to be in the thick of it.

On the other hand, McGonagall is also very focused on her career. I agree that she was probably Prefect and Head Girl during her time, and all those duties and responsibilities may not have left time for Quidditch. I also agree that in her time, girls may not have been allowed to play on the team (although Hogwarts has never been strictly "male" dominated). If she no longer had time for Quidditch, I definitely see her as being an adamant supporter of it, as a way for her to loosen up a little.

I hope what I said made sense and didn't just sound like a load of waffle

~Katie

Beth: A very clear and insightful post. 5 points

Ceredig
    I personally see her as a chaser, though perhaps her prefect duties would keep her from the quidditch field in her last few years. To me she's a bit of a Hermione in that respect: duty first, fun later.

Having pondered this for sometime I decided to stop lurking and jump in the deep. So my question is this: What reasons can you think of for Minerva joining up with Riddle and becoming a death eater?

Also what effect would this revelation have on the golden trio?

dragonwings
    I love Professor McGonagall! She is one of my favorite major offset characters because of all the contradictions in her character. Her love for Quidditch is no exception to her character either because I think that she is torn between acting all prim and proper and just throwing the rules out the window for the sport she loves.

I don’t necessarily think per say that she played Quidditch in school. You do not have to play the sport to be a fan of it (think of all the football fanatics there are out there in the U.K.!) and I think that she has channeled her fanaticism—like most who can not play do—into supporting her favorite team AND her favorite House!

If she DID play Quidditch, I agree with Ayse in that I can definitely see her as a Beater! Haha, I can see a sixteen-year-old Professor McGonagall walking down the halls of Hogwarts twirling her Beater’s bat with her hair is all up in a tight bun! It is my opinion that she would be far too reserved to consider trying out for a position on the Gryffindor team at school though. People who are more outgoing are more likely to try out for such events rather than the prim and proper Mrs. McGonagall. She would be out there in the stands cheering with the best of them, definitely, but she wouldn’t dare try out in my opinion. I would rule out commentary for sure because—no offense to McGonagall lovers; I assure you that I am one of you too!—but no one would want to listen to her, lol.

As for the Harry/Quidditch situation, I think that from her perspective it was well justified. She is very much like Hermione in many ways, especially in her regard for the rules, but very much like Hermione she knows when it’s time to break them for the things she believes in and the people she loves. She is perhaps more goal-driven then Hermione sometimes because she doesn’t put up with any nonsense and Hermione is much more relaxed compared to her sometimes!!! Both are very similar in character however, which really underlines my point of why McGonagall wouldn’t try out for the Quidditch team. But like Hermione and Hermione’s passions, she would try to find out as much as she could about it and participate as much as she could.

I think that I can compare her to one of my teachers at school who coaches the Varsity basketball team. He is an absolute fanatic and will bend a few rules for the team, but when it comes to something serious, he does put his foot down.

What reasons can you think of for Minerva joining up with Riddle and becoming a Death Eater?
    I can see no reasons for McGonagall for being a Death Eater… unless someone drugged her, of course. I don’t even think that she would become a Death Eater if she had fallen in love with Tom Riddle or something. In an AU fic where she was Sorted into Slytherin—maybe. But really, I can’t think of any way in which she would…

So, lol to answer the question, no I do not think that she would play Quidditch, and the reason why she suspended Harry even though she loves Quidditch is because she is like Hermione in her regard for the rules!

tbsbooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig
    I personally see her as a chaser, though perhaps her prefect duties would keep her from the quidditch field in her last few years. To me she's a bit of a Hermione in that respect: duty first, fun later.

Having pondered this for sometime I decided to stop lurking and jump in the deep. So my question is this: What reasons can you think of for Minerva joining up with Riddle and becoming a death eater?

Also what effect would this revelation have on the golden trio?

Personally, I just don't see her doing this. She may be a very contradictory character, but she is still solid in her beliefs. I think that she would have to be under some sort of amazingly powerful Imperius, or that maybe he would have to have something that she loves and would do anything for to threaten her with? But i don't believe that she would just decide to join the other side without some type of negative motivation.

aurorahze
    I'm considering having a scene between McG and the Weasleys after they've gone into hiding (still over Easter break, because I doubt she'd want to leave the school during term with the Carrows and Snape in power, even just for the day). She would come as part of an organized Order meeting (I have the Order going to Aunt Muriel's because the Weasley family is in the most danger at the time, with Ron having just been spotted with Harry, and having the others come to them would be safer then them leaving their hiding spot) but I was thinking of having her stay.

A few questions that I have:

1. Would it be OC for McG to at least talk about evacuating students from the school and shutting it down for the rest of the year? I'd like to have her mention it as something she's been considering, though obviously it would be Snape's decision and she knows he supports the enforced enrollment for all non-muggleborn students. I guess what I'm wondering is whether it makes sense for McG to consider getting the students away from Hogwarts (as was briefly considered in CoS when students were being petrified) as more safe than having them stay. Or does that seem like something she wouldn't even consider because she'd think of Hogwarts as the safest place? The atmosphere of DH Hogwarts reminds me a bit of CoS Hogwarts when shutting the school down was considered, and I could see McGonagall considering the idea because it would be the opposite of what Snape and the Carrows (and Voldemort, through extension) seem to want to achieve by the forced enrollment. Keeping all students at school makes it easy to attack them together--does it make sense for McG to recognize this and wish to avoid playing into Voldemort's hands by asking the students not to come back from the holidays (though she would realize that this isn't in her power and would be Snape's decision, more of a wish than a realistic action to take)?

2. I'd like to involve Ginny some how, and I was considering having McG address these concerns to Ginny, knowing that she was one of the student rebellion leaders and would be able to give the student's perspective. I get the sense that while McGonagall would be watching out for the students, she wouldn't be able to entirely keep track of what was going on, particularly the extent of what was happening in detentions and the ongoing plans of the D.A. Could you see her turning to Ginny for more information on the student side of things, or should I have Ginny overhear a conversation between McG and Arthur? As a side note, I don't remember if an exact time is given for when the D.A. starts using the Room of Requirement, though I seem to remember that Neville was the first to use it -- could he have already been hiding there before Easter (thus leaving McG very concerned about his being missing) or was it made clear that he goes into hiding in the RoR sometime after Ginny fails to return from the holidays?

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Grrr just lost the post so let's try this again

1) I think it is very possible for McG to WANT to close the school because she would want to keep the chilfren save and they are being tortured within the school however didn't Neville say that the Carrows were Snapes deputies so McG wouldn't have the power to say whether or not the school woul close.

2) I also think Ginny would have listened into the conversation and McG might try to ask her to try and persuade the D.A to cm down before they ended up getting killed.

Neville didn't go into the RoR until after easter (I think!) So if you wanted that to be mentioned you could push the converation back because it was actually in the easter holidays Ron was discovered to be with Harry because Neville said Ginny never came Back after easter.

Oh and I think the order meetings were held at Aunt Muriels because didn't Arthur become one of the leaders once Moody had been killed and Kingsly was on the run as well as the fact that they were in the most danger!

Hope I've been of some help

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Would it be OC for McG to at least talk about evacuating students from the school and shutting it down for the rest of the year?
    Why would it be the rest of the year? McGonagall has no evidence that the war is going to end any time soon. She’d be operating under the assumption that this is going to continue, so if she wanted the students evacuated, it would be for good, or at least until the war ended, and that could well be years, even decades.

I think that perhaps she’d want to get all the students away to safety in the beginning, but she’d be in no position to do it. Snape and the Carrows control the school, and having gone two terms into the year, she’d have a good idea about how they operate and how far they’d go to keep things under their control. She’d know that there would be no way that she could get large number of students out without attracting the attention of at least Snape, who, she thinks, is Voldemort’s man. The Carrows might not notice several students disappearing every so often until the number is drastically down, but Snape, who has taught there for years and presumably knows every student in the school, would.

I also think that McGonagall would think that the school was the safest place for them to be. Yes they’ve got the Carrows dishing out the Cruciatus Curse in detentions and beating the students up, but in the outside world there are much worse things going on. Neville says that the Carrows don’t want to kill the students or spill too much magical blood, and McGonagall would surely know this. She would feel that the best place for the students was inside the castle where people like her and Flitwick and Madame Pomfrey could keep an eye on them and prevent them from coming to too much harm. The students are in far more danger outside school than in it, and McGonagall would know this.

If they did manage to get all the students out of Hogwarts and to some secure, secret location (which would be a mighty task in itself), there would still be Voldemort to contend with. As the Battle of Hogwarts proves, they wouldn’t be able to hold an incredibly angry Voldemort out for long. The enchantments around The Burrow do manage this, but that is only with the full power of the Ministry on their side, and at Easter 1998, the Ministry is under Voldemort’s control.

So while I think it would be IC for McGonagall to to protect the students as much as she could, I think she’d know
    that it would be impossible to close the school and take the students somewhere safer.

Could you see her turning to Ginny for more information on the student side of things, or should I have Ginny overhear a conversation between McG and Arthur?
    I think it would be better to have Ginny overhear the conversation. I can’t see McGonagall turning to her for information. Ginny is still underage, still a child, and I don’t think McGonagall would want to involve her, not because she doesn’t think she’s capable or could provide the information, but because she wouldn’t want Ginny to be dragged into the war. She’d want to keep her ‘safe’ if you like. Also, what would McGonagall do with this information? How would it help her to know what the DA were up to, or how the students felt (I imagine she’d have a very good idea of this, after all, she’s living through it too). What I can imagine her doing is giving Ginny a stern talking-to to try and get her to stop what she’s doing. McGonagall would think it was a dangerous and silly thing to do, and would probably advise Ginny to keep her head down and get on with things. She’d admire their spirit, but wouldn’t want them to get hurt, rather, leave that to the adults. Ginny has her whole life ahead of her.

My last point is actually how McGonagall would be able to get to Auntie Muriel’s in the first place. It would be an incredibly silly move not to have her watched and tracked like a hawk. Voldemort would know she’s a member of the Order, I’m sure Snape would have told him, and therefore someone likely to know the whereabouts of the Weasley family and to make contact with them. She would not risk getting in contact with the family.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!