Thread: Stupefy!

Ghoul in Pajamas

Stupefy!

When someone gets stunned, what do they experience between being stunned and when someone ennervates them? Are they completely unconscious? Or can they see, hear, etc. but they just can't move?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    ~Kristen

Miss Orange Pen
    After reading your post, I became very interested in this question. Here is a little quote I found from the MuggleNet Encyclopedia:

"This spell produces a bolt of red light and stuns whoever it is cast upon, knocking the victim unconscious. A single Stunning Spell is not strong enough to do any lasting damage to a victim, but multiple stunners cast on one target can cause serious harm, as was done to Professor McGonagall in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The spell "Ennervate" can undo the effects of the Stunning Spell and bring victims back to consciousness."
    From this quote, we can infer that the person being stunned is totally unconscious, until after the spell "Ennervate" is cast.

I hope this helps you!

--Maddie

FaunaCaritas
    You just go unconscious and fall in the direction your weight is balanced. (See pg. 574 GoF, American edition)

So no, I don't think you see, hear, etc. when you are stunned. Have you ever blacked out? Similar deal... you don't remember a thing. You have no sense of time when you 'come-to' because it feels like you just got knocked out half a second ago.

I don't know what other people might think, but I imagine it is possible to come-to without being ennervated-- but maybe it requires a counter charm just like any other hex.

~Fauna

cmwinters
    I'd imagine at some point the spell would either time out or if the caster or victim died the spell would be cancelled. Remember Harry was Petrified by Dumbledore, when Snape killed Dumbledore, the spell lost it's hold.

But if the spell were potentially fatal (i.e. you could die if you weren't Ennervated), then I think it'd be a restricted spell, if not an Unforgiveable (since it's reversible. But then . . . so's Imperio . . .)

Ghoul in Pajamas
    Thank you very much, everyone! I originally wrote it this way, so that he is unconscious, but I wasn't completely sure if that was accurate. Now I'm glad that I won't have to rewrite that part. xD

~Kristen

MaiaMadness
    Just thought I'd mention, I don't think you HAVE to use Enervate to make the victim of a stunning spell conscious again. The stunning spell knocks the victim out, but I don't think it has a lasting effect. If you get knocked out in real life, you'll eventually come back to consciousness on your own, or someone might wake you up. I think it's the same with Stupefy. I also think that Enervate can probably be used to wake up just about anyone who's unconscious, for other reasons as well.