Thread: Wizarding Nightclub?

bertiebott12

Wizarding Nightclub?

I am writing the prologue to a short, chaptered Remus/Tonks romance. It starts out when Remus goes out with another woman besides Tonks, so this scene needs to be when they go out on a date. But, my problem is, would they go to a nightclub? I would like it to be in a place with music, a restaurant, dancing, etc. Is there a Wizarding form of nightclub that Remus would likely take a date?

Thanks ahead of time!

*Claire*

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I'm sure there are Wizard nightclubs, because there would definitely be the market for it. There isn't one in Hogsmeade, as far as we know, but I wouldn't doubt there was one in a big city like London. When it's described, I wouldn't make it like a typical nightclub, though. There would probably be more Wizard features, decorations, music, etc.
    ~Kristen

social loner
    I agree with Kristen, there would definitely be Wizarding Nightclubs. Jo only gives us a small tour of Diagon Alley in the books, so there could be a whole area devoted to the night scene. As for one where Remus would go to, how about a jazz club? I could see him there. I don't picture Remus going for a loud club with fast techno music, neon colors, and flashing lights though.

I hope that helps!
    -Olivia

MissyQuill
    Hiya Claire,

I don't know but I like to beleive that wizards go to the same night clubs as muggles. I'm sure the ministry would put it down to muggle relations. Also the fact that everyone's usually so wasted there and how its so loud and noisy, even wizards who slip up won't be noticed that much. And if anything, this would explain all the strange things that happen in pubs and such.

I think Remus should go to a loud and wild one (against his better judgement of course) as that would really increase Tonk's jelousy factor. She after all is the kind of girl who might very much enjoy all that noise and dancing etc.=Sammy

star_sailor
    I don't know but I like to beleive that wizards go to the same night clubs as muggles. I'm sure the ministry would put it down to muggle relations. Also the fact that everyone's usually so wasted there and how its so loud and noisy, even wizards who slip up won't be noticed that much. And if anything, this would explain all the strange things that happen in pubs and such.

I agree to a degree with this, because I'm sure with a large number of half-blood wizards (who have a history with interacting among Muggles), some would go to Muggle nightclubs, not to mention Muggle-borns. But on a large scale, I find it hard to believe that many wizards would be going anywhere in the Muggle world. There is that whole disconnection between wizards and Muggles, where they just don't click together - a wizard going to a Muggle club would probably be terrified by all the flashing lights, TV screens flashing images, and all the loud music. Furthermore, returning to MissyQuill's quote, I'm sure the Ministry may support some "Muggle relations," but don't forget about the ICW Statute of Secrecy. Regardless of how drunk a Muggle might be, casting magic in a crowded place like that would be a serious no-no, and would require plenty of Obliviators to fix. I think the Ministry would rather wizards keep their distance from Muggle places in the event an accident happened.

But there are definitely places for wizards to hang out. All you have to keep in mind is that just about everything wizards do is a bit dated in comparison to the Muggle world. So where else would a jolly ol' Englishman go back in the day? The pub! And considering that in Hogsmeade alone there are both The Three Broomsticks and The Hog's Head, I'll assume there are loads of bars/pubs/taverns/inns/etc. for wizards to relax in throughout the country. Some more recreational sorts of pubs would likely play music through the Wizarding Wireless, or even have live music. And where there's music, there would no doubt be dancing for those braves souls who wanted to hit the floor. Basically, I think the pub would be the wizarding equivalent of a nightclub.

For Remus and Tonk's date, Remus would probably take her to a more cozy one (less focus on the alcohol, more focus on the socializing). The design of the actually place would be totally up to you, and you could have fun imagining what it looked like, not to mention what sort of frivolities take place there. =]

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I wouldn't doubt that some Wizards would go to a Muggle Nightclub on occasion, but not everyone. (Don't expect the Malfoys to be turning up around Muggle clubs anytime soon.) But it would be risky for anyone to be doing it very often, especially if they're going out and drinking too much. They might slip and say something (though any Muggle would probably just think they were too drunk to think straight) or use magic around Muggles, so I agree with Chris about the Obliviators. I still believe there would be Wizard Nightclubs, though.

~Kristen