Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hufflepuff Common Room

kritchen

Hufflepuff Common Room

I looked at the HP encyclopedia to see what it said on the subject. I've decided the placement is below ground level but what about the entrance? I don't think it's hidden by a portrait like the Gryffindor common room. Any ideas on what it could be?

Amanda Vega
    Jo said somewhere that it was downstairs-ish, that you enter through a portrait (like the kitchens, but not like Gryffindor) and the it's very comfy and yellow, and all the doors are perfectly round like portholes.

EDIT: Here is the exact quote, from a webchat she did. You can find it on the Bloomsbury website:

J.K. Rowling: The Hufflepuff common room is accessed through a portrait near the kitchens, as I am sure you have deduced. Sorry — I should say ‘painting’ rather than portrait, because it is a still-life. It is a very cosy and welcoming place, as dissimilar as possible from Snape’s dungeon. Lots of yellow hangings, and fat armchairs, and little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops.

kritchen
    Oh, thank you. That was excellent help. I looked for information but couldn't find any...

MistressOfTime
    To make the Hufflepuff Common Room a bit original, you could invent a cool way to gain access.

For example: The Gryffindor and Slytherin Common Rooms require a password to enter. However, the Ravenclaw Common Room requires an answer to a question. (Which is fitting to the qualities of the House.)

Perhaps you could make the entrance only open at certain times of the day? Since the main quality of Hufflepuff's is their patience, they have to be patient in waiting to gain access to their Common Room.

Kind of a corny suggestion, but it would make for great originality! Good luck!

--Joy.

Mollie Black
    Quote Originally Posted by MistressOfTime
    Perhaps you could make the entrance only open at certain times of the day? Since the main quality of Hufflepuff's is their patience, they have to be patient in waiting to gain access to their Common Room.
    Ooohhh... I like that idea. The only problem I can see would be if the castle were in danger and they couldn't get into the common room. But perhaps you could incorporate that idea.

Maybe they have a token of some sort that they have to slip into a hole to gain access. The token could go through the hole and drop into a basket where you would grab one before you left the common room the next time. While a token could easily be stolen, Hufflepuffs are very trusting, and wouldn't believe that someone would want to steal something from them.

kritchen
    Those are excellent suggestions. I was wondering if the portrait was like the kitchen one. Like they have to tickle something and it turns into a handle like the pear in the kitchen portrait. I couldn't come up with any ideas as to how to get back into the common room though. I just chose to omit that particular detail for the time being.

The token idea is a good one but I don't think it'd be a token. Those are too easily lost and can be left behind. Think if a character like Neville was sorted into the house. He'd lose his token all over the place! Lol.

However, I was looking for a better description of the Hufflepuff attributes and found on Wikipedia that Hufflepuffs give a password to get in. Do you think it'd be random like Gryffindor passwords or have something to do with Hufflepuff attributes?

Pheonix Tears
    If you check out the Puff common room on here, we had a Gauntlet and for I think Prompt eight it was set in the common room. I'm sure people have got ideas for the entering of them in there.
    ^ Badly phrased, couldn't think of another way.
    Anyway, I don't know who thought up this idea for a prompt, perhaps Roxy? But whoever it was came up with the prompt for a plant name for the password at the time. So maybe whatever the head of house was good at? Does it specify if the HoH sets the passwords? Because I swear the portrait for the Gryffs got drunk one time and called the password 'abstinance' or something like that. Okay so now I am contradicting myself.
    I suppose if you went with the idea of the portrait choosing it, maybe the characters personality or something? Although I do think the Puff traits are good, you might have to think about lots of different ways of phrasing loyal and things.
    Hope I helped in some random way.

EDIT: Sorry bad phrasing on my part, I meant the portrait's character

kritchen
    You did help. The two prompts relating to the common room were interesting. The passwords they used were plants. I was under the impression that the prefects chose the passwords. I rather like the idea that the password is about the character's personality but that's a lot of passwords. There's got to be at least 70 students in each house. Hrm... I'm thinking I'll just select something random for the passwords. Maybe I'll even make it relate to my story.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. :]

Amanda Vega
    Okay, so, sorry for jumping in at the end again like this, but....

Well, wouldn't a password be kind of pointless, seeing as it's a still life, and can't exactly talk? (Although considering the Slytherin common room, that might not really matter....). I kindof imagined it a sort-of tickle-the-pear-esque entry, but, you know, tailored for Puffs. Also, wouldn't the portraits choose the passwords, anyway (because of Sir Cadogan's manic password changing in POA)? </random>

Anyway, I do like the ideas you have [:

Eowyn89
    I just had a random thought if you wanted to go by the tickle-the-pear way...

Instead of tickling it, you could make it into a puzzle-type password, where the 'Puffs have to prod the painting in a certain pattern, or "code" to get in. That would require a LOT of patience in my opinion, because the code would change frequently, or differ per person. That way, if the painting is a still life, you don't have to actually talk to it - but you could still come up with a creative way of entering the common room, and have it be in a 'Puff style. Hope I helped!

~Katie