Thread: The Publishing of Books

nikkiolapotter

The Publishing of Books

So, in my fic, Gilderoy Lockhart speaks frequently to the publisher of his books.

My question would be, how would you go about publishing books in the Wizarding World? Are there even book publishers like we have? Do they have different companies, like Scholastic or Simon and Schuster?

Am I just asking too many questions?

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

I think you have a free rein with this, as there is no canon about it. I would imagine that there would be more than one publishing company. Again, it is entirely up to you.

As a side note, it appears that Ministry can publish some material (OoP, DH).

Hope this helped!
    -Alice

red haired mom
    There seems to be several thousand books on the shelves at Flourish and Blott's, and in the Hogwarts Library, so it stands to reason there would be Wizarding Publishing Companies.

As a matter of fact, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was published by
    Obscurus Books
    18a Diagon Alley, London

And Quidditch Through the Ages was published by
    Whizz Hard Books
    129b Diagon Alley, London

So, yeah, I'd say there are Wizarding Publishing Companies. If you need more, just think of names that would fit the magical world like they do.

Hope that helped.

~Wendy

nikkiolapotter
    OH, that helped loads!

Now, how do you think that they publish books? They surely can't have machines, but do you think there's a magical equivelant?

red haired mom
    The Quibbler is printed on a 'machine', granted it's not a huge printing press, that encompasses an entire building and/or floor in a building, but it's a machine nonetheless.
    I'd go with something similar to what was described in DH for that printing press.

A book binder doesn't seem necessary since Harry was able to use Diffindo, and Reparo to swap the covers on his Potions books, but I think they might have people that work at the company.

There could be people to use magic and fill and empty the printing machine, then put covers on magically.

Does that make sense?

~Wendy

cmwinters
    They can't be printed on machines run by *electricity*. However, Gutenberg's printing press didn't run on electricity, and the Hogwarts express is a steam engine that is also mechanical.

So I absolutely think they have machines. Unless they're just using a duplication spell. But there has to be an original for there to be duplicates.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Also, the Ministry was able to create small pamphlets by haviing employees use their wands (DH)
    -Alice

MaiaMadness
    It's certainly a modern misconception that machines have to run on electricity. Machine means oiled, and is the same word as Messiah.

I too think that books are printed by use of machines in the Wizarding World, although there are probably a lot of old books (perhaps even some at Hogwarts) that are written by hand and only exist in one copy. Just for the record, Gutenberg's printing press was invented in the mid 1400s.

Maia

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I remember a previous discussion on electricity where it was decided that Colin Creevey's camera and the Weasley's radio are running on the general magical aura of Hogwarts/the Burrow. I suppose that they could have other machines that traditionally run on elctricty just run on magic.

Also, as note about MaiaMadness's post, I would imagine all or at least most of the books in the Restricted Section are single copies.