Thread: Gas/Oil Lamps to Energy Savers?

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Gas/Oil Lamps to Energy Savers?

Hi.

During the course of book one to book seven (1991-1998) we’re introduced to a very old-fashioned Wizarding world.

My question is regarding their idea of power and electricity supply. So far, we know that Grimmauld Place and the Burrow use gas and/or oil lamps.

What about the kind of stoves they use? They certainly won’t be electric, but then gas stoves? How about an oven? Fans?

And what happens after the Epilogue? Do you think Harry would do something to change the ancient gas/oil lamps with energy savers, bulbs or tube lights, introduce the forms of Muggle electricity? How about purebloods like Neville and Bill? The Longbottom home? Shell Cottage?

How do you expect the Wizarding world to change along that matter nineteen years later? Or are they still going to live the way Salazar and Godric did?

Thanks,

Help and comments appreciated,

Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

red haired mom
    Hi Padfoot Patronus,

What about the kind of stoves they use? I think it is an old fashioned wood/coal burning stove. They don't need the actual fuel for the fire, because Molly always just points her wand at something to cook it. Albeit on the stove, just not heated by the stove.

How about an oven? Same here I think, but for those times when the kids are using it, I think they might need to use the fuel available to make it work.

Fans? Everything else seems to run on magic, so I'm going to say these do too.

And what happens after the Epilogue? Do you think Harry would do something to change the ancient gas/oil lamps with energy savers, bulbs or tube lights, introduce the forms of Muggle electricity?
    He might, but why would he? I think he would only worry about the decor of the house, not the lights. He had gotten used to the way the lights were all through school and spending time at other wizard homes. He wouldn't need to do any of that.

How about purebloods like Neville and Bill? The Longbottom home? Shell Cottage?
    Same here, I can't see any of them upgrading to a Muggle system that they really don't need and might not even be able to use.

How do you expect the Wizarding world to change along that matter nineteen years later? Or are they still going to live the way Salazar and Godric did?
    Wizards have lived that way for centuries, I don't see why they would change now. Electricity has been around for a long time, and they still hadn't made the change over to using it. Maybe they couldn't, for the reasons Hermione gave in GoF. Muggle technology doesn't work that great when it's confronted with lots of magic.

I hope that helped, and if I need to make any of it clearer, just let me know.

~Wendy

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I agree with Wendy. I've always assumed everything was run on magic rather than fuel. I don't believe that they would make a change from magic to electricity. Not only is it something most Wizards don't understand and that doesn't work well around a lot of magic, but they would face all of the energy problems we now face, by making a switch. Also, they would have to get this fuel from Muggles, which would mean paying electric bills in Muggle currency.

~Kristen

MaiaMadness
    Although I agree with the others, in that wizards probably won't start using electric lights just like that, I do think that it would be possible for them to have something that looks like electric light, but that's powered by magical energy. Think a regular lamp, but instead of a lightbulb there's just a magical glowing orb inside. There's no need for electricity when there's magic.

Just a thought.

Maia

Stubbornly_appeared

Why would they?

I can see where you're coming from, but I have no idea why wizards would want electricity when they have magic: a free (and apparently, limitless) energy source that is infinitely adaptable. You could have it run anything you wanted- a T.V., a fridge, a PS2- but it seems that wizardkind just isn't into that sort of stuff at the moment. Maybe someday some entrepreneurial Muggleborn will come along and show them wizards the magic of HDTV and frozen, microwaveable (or wand-waveable) dinners.

-Stubby

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Thank you Maia, Stubby, Wendy and Kristen. That was valuable input.

There's no need for electricity when there's magic.
    I agree with Maia completely. Wendy said Harry might not worry about changing the lights but I think they make part of the décor too, don’t they? So, it’d make sense if they just had nice new lights and no cables sticking out from the back, but with the help of magic, the lights still work.

Hermione is likely to find a spell for that.

I can see where you're coming from, but I have no idea why wizards would want electricity when they have magic: a free (and apparently, limitless) energy source that is infinitely adaptable. You could have it run anything you wanted- a T.V., a fridge, a PS2- but it seems that wizardkind just isn't into that sort of stuff at the moment.
    I was writing my Neville fic, ten years post-Hogwarts and as I was about to write about the oil lamps, I stopped my hands on the keyboard and wondered whether the Wizards would adapt to new changes with time. Simple as that.

Considering what you people said, I’m going to assume that with time it is possible that Muggle-borns like Dennis and Hermione, encouraged by Muggle fanatic like Mr Weasley, the décor of the new generation Wizarding world would change, perhaps very slightly, but still run as always on magic.

Right?

Thanks guys for all your help,

Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here