Thread: Horcruxes (With Lovely DH Spoilers)

star_sailor

Horcruxes (With Lovely DH Spoilers)

Alright, so we know a bit about Horcruxes, and how they are, in essence, an anchor to the world to keep death at bay. But there are a lot of issues that I've been questioning still...

What happens to the physical Horcrux when the creator loses his life and subsequentially returns? It's hinted in the books that nothing happens, as all of the Horcruxes that Voldy created remained after he was killed. But Rowling also thoroughly shows, with all forms of magic, there is a certain sort of balance (example: Horcruxes prevent a full death by giving the creator extra pieces of their soul, but damage the creator's physical appearance because of the sheer grotesqueness of splitting the soul). I don't think Voldemort would have created any more Horcruxes than he did... but why did he create so many? The original intention was to stagnate death by having multiple souls. Understandably, a couple extra souls would do him good not only to keep him alive, but because Horcruxes can be destroyed. With one, if someone like Dumbledore got to one, and disposed of it, Voldemort would be out of luck. A few extra is more insurance, cause it was luck that they were all destroyed.

But why SIX (not counting Harry, which was a complete accident)? I was always under the belief that if the creator lost their life, one of the soul's within a Horcrux would free itself to replace the destroyed soul. This would explain why Voldy wanted a lot of Horcruxes instead of one: if he died, returned, and died again, and one or two were destroyed, he'd still be able to come back several more times. That would insinuate that the Horcrux would lose the soul it was holding, and become an ordinary object once more. It would also suggest that Voldemort created seven Horcruxes, and used one to return after he was hit by his own Killing Curse. But nothing like this was discussed in the books. Would a Horcrux remain impervious after it retains the life of the creator, or would the Horcrux break?

If you have multiple Horcruxes, can you pick and choose which piece soul you return as?
    The difference between the souls was shown with Tom Riddle's diary. Tom appeared as he did as a Hogwarts student, young, handsome, and unscathed from his soul-splitting of later days. If Harry didn't destroy the Horcrux in time to save Ginny, would that mean Voldemort would return as his young self rather than the older form?

Finally, would a Horcrux prevent a natural death of old age? Before I ask, I have a feeling the question is no, because as has been mentioned, death is inevitable. But if one was to die of old age, and have a Horcrux, would they simply retain their life, and essentially, have the possibility of coming back? Or do Horcruxes not protect against those sort of deaths, and the leftover souls simply (for lack of a better term) evaporate afterwards? (Theoretically, if Horcruxes could prevent natural death, that means one could remain alive for hundreds of years, until they ran out of soul to continue splitting into Horcuxes. I suppose this somewhat goes hand-in-hand with the first question.) Or do soul-shards age just like a person, and can only get so old before expiring?

I realize these are pretty big questions, hahah, but nevertheless, they are questions. All input would be fabulous!

MaiaMadness
    Wow, that's a lot of questions...

Actually, I don't think anything happens to the remaining horcruxes. I think the point is that when you create a Horcrux (or several) the piece of your soul that remains within your body is bound to the other piece(s), and so, if your body dies, your soul can't pass on, because part of it remains trapped on earth. This means that your soul is still "alive", but without a body to reside in. The piece of Voldy's soul that resided in his new body was the same piece that had resided in his old body, not a piece from a Horcrux, and that it survived because half a soul cannot die without the rest of it coming too.

I think that a person who has Horcruxes can "die" of old age, but when his body dies, his soul would, once again, remain, and so it could be transferred into a new host, or a new body could be created, much in the same way that it was created in GoF, in the grave yard scene.

So, to summarise, a Horcrux is like a sort of insurance. You don't actually use it as such, but it keeps you away from death. The pieces of soul inside Voldemort's Horcruxes couldn't be used for anything. Once a soul is split it canot be reunited (except by such horrible pain and all that), but the Horcruxes keep the remaining piece of "active" soul from passing on in the event of its body dieing.

That's what I believe.

Maia

red haired mom
    Quote Originally Posted by star_sailor
    What happens to the physical Horcrux when the creator loses his life and subsequentially returns?
    Nothing happens to it. When it's made, it is made. The only ways something could happen to the piece of soul inside it, is someone destroys it, or the maker removes it to create another body, or in the Diary's case, it tries to make it's own body.

Would a Horcrux remain impervious after it retains the life of the creator, or would the Horcrux break?
    The only thing that can break a Horcrux is something like the sword, basilisk venom, fiendfyre, etc. Now, you can allow the contents of the Horcrux out without opening or destroying it, just be identifying with and caring for it too much.

If you have multiple Horcruxes, can you pick and choose which piece soul you return as?
    I don't think so. As portrayed on GoF, he was able to come back with the body he 'died' with. The Diary part was that piece sucking Ginny's life force from her and channelling it into his own soul. The Horcruxes aren't used as means of getting a body back, they are just used as means of holding all parts of the sould not magically encased earthbound.

Finally, would a Horcrux prevent a natural death of old age?
    That is an excellent question, and the only one I'm not one hundred percent sure of my answer on. I do believe the person would have to use some other form of Dark Magic to stay in human form after the old age thing becomes an issue. A Horcrux, or more, can only do so much, and it's only function is to keep the soul Earthbound. Dying of anything, whether it be old age, or something sinister, is still dying. The physical form is gone. Then the sould has to roam the earth as less than the meanest ghost until it can retake human form again by other means.

The old age death is the one that will stump him though. If he regains his body, it's going to be the same one as when he died, so I would say he'd be trapped in a viscious cycle of death and rebirth. And then, only until he ran out of his father's bone.

That is if he continued to use the same rebirthing scenario.

Hope that helped,

~Wendy

Eowyn89
    I think these are some very good and complicated questions, and most of them have been answered pretty fully, but there were two that made me think the most. The first was the issue of what happens to a Horcrux after the soul within it is destroyed. We saw with the diary, the ring, the locket, and Nagini that the "objects" themselves became pretty much useless, because they were broken. I feel it depends on the level of magic used to extract the particular piece of soul that determines if the object will survive.

The other question was if Horcruxes prevented natural death, and I believe that the answer is absolutely. The whole point of having a Horcrux is to prevent death itself, so old age would not have an effect on it. We saw that Voldemort kept less and less of his human qualities as more Horcruxes were made, so I feel that a natural human death would be beyond him unless all of his Horcruxes were destroyed, which is specifically what Harry accomplished in Book 7. It is almost like the character Gollum of Lord of the Rings, who remained alive artificially because of the ring, in comparison.

I hope I helped a little!

~Katie