Thread: Traitor Torture? SENSITIVE TOPIC

Hybrid View

hermione_granger4life

Traitor Torture? SENSITIVE TOPIC

This is probably a really weird question but I adopted a plot bunny for a D/A fic and part of it has to do with Ginny being tortured because the dark lord was in power(for only a short amount of time) and she sort of rebels against him and I don't really know how to tackle it. Any ideas? I've never wrote a D/A fic before so I really dont know how far I can take it before it becomes unacceptable. I mean, I havent written anything bad yet it just talks about how Ginny was beaten and stuff like that. How far would be too far? What would some of the methods to torture her be? Sorry if this is like an unacceptable topic Im just a little in the dark. Thanks!

**Emma**

In future, please make it clear in the title of your thread that a sensitive topic is being discussed.

harrypotterfangirl21
    Hm . . . well, I've got a few torture methods lurking about in my mind.

She could be beaten by Death Eaters, but I think they'd use the Cruciatus Curse first.

Also, they could use Sectumsempra, if you feel like adding some blood.

Think of the torture methods used in Hitler's time. The Nazis starved prisoners, burned them alive, had dogs rip them apart, beat them, gave them poisoned water. . . . Lots of ideas there, but some are extremely graphic and disturbing.

"Taking it too far," as you said, depends on your personal tolerance. If you wanted to have the D.E.'s torture Ginny in truly terrifying bloody ways, such as cutting off her limbs individually, then that may be too far for most people.

I might just stick to the Cruciatus or the Sectumsempra, but if you want to go bloodier, be my guest.

- Katie

P.S. This isn't a forbidden topic on MNFF, don't worry.

hermione_granger4life
    Ok. Thank you very much! For the most part, the only thing I have included are the use of the Cruciatus Curse and talking about Ginny's nose being broken and bloodied and it being hard for her to breath because a few ribs are broken and stuff like that. For the most part I havent really been describing what has happened to her, I've been describing what it's doing to her but I thought it might be good to add in a few specific details. I don't think I'll take it as graphic as the Hitler stuff but I keep restating the fact that they get her as close to death as possible and then let her recover for a few days. Basically, I just describe that they are keeping her at death's door. Thanks for the great tips! They were vrey helpful!

It's not weird that I am writing this on Christmas Eve, is it? Lol..

**Emma**

megan_lupin
    'Too far' really has to do a great deal with a) your personal preference and b) the rating you choose for your fic. You wouldn't want to rate something a 1st-2nd Years if you use a great deal of some of the more gruesome forms of torture, for instance.

Spells are usually always a safe bet, and Crucio would be one of the big ones in this case. However, I wouldn't overuse it to the point that it doesn't seem any more intense than a Stunning Spell. It's a torturous pain, and the description needs to fit with the intensity of the spell.

There would probably be a few Death Eaters who wouldn't mind the blood and/or other forms of 'Muggle torture' -- beating, whipping, etc. However, I'd watch the characters you choose to employ in doing some of the 'messier' aspects of the deed, in terms of keeping them IC and whatnot. (For instance, I, personally, wouldn't see Lucius as being one to dirty his hands in such a way, but someone like Macnair wouldn't care a bit. And Bella's just insane enough to do just about anything.)

Mostly, in terms of torture, the important thing to remember is not to treat it in too much of a trivial manner. It needs to be handled with care and such.

Hope that helps.

~Megan

hermione_granger4life
    Thank you Megan! Would it be too OOC for someone like Alecto Carrow to beat someone? The main one in the story is that you insinuate that Ginny is being beaten by her bruised and bloodied state but it will hardly over come right out and tell you what happened except for a few times. Would it be too OOC for him to possibly beat her? Thanks.

**Emma**

megan_lupin
    No, I think the Carrows would *definitely* be people who would get very bloody torture and whatnot. You definitely get that sort of hint in Deathly Hallows that they're more Bella-like, for lack of a better word!

~Megan

hermione_granger4life
    Thank you and sorry to the mods for not putting sensitive topic on the title! It won't happen again, I promise.

And really, a great big thanks to everyone who helped me. I should have my fic finished soon! Thanks again.

**Emma

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by hermione_granger4life
    This is probably a really weird question but I adopted a plot bunny for a D/A fic and part of it has to do with Ginny being tortured because the dark lord was in power(for only a short amount of time) and she sort of rebels against him and I don't really know how to tackle it. Any ideas? I've never wrote a D/A fic before so I really dont know how far I can take it before it becomes unacceptable. I mean, I havent written anything bad yet it just talks about how Ginny was beaten and stuff like that. How far would be too far? What would some of the methods to torture her be? Sorry if this is like an unacceptable topic Im just a little in the dark.
    Actually, I think it's somewhat unlikely that the Death Eaters would actually resort to physical punishment such as beatings. Their entire "shtick" is that they're superior to Muggles because they have magic. Now, I can see someone throwing a "fist of fury" spell or whatever that has the same effect as a physical beating, but without the Death Eater in question having to "get their hands dirty", so to speak.

The only exception to this I can see would be sexual abuse, and I'm not sure you want to go there.

hansolohpfrk
    My bunny! How beautiful! It's coming along, I see.

I'm with CM on this one; sexual abuse is probably not the best way to go with this. Physical would be better, in my opinion, but not horribly physical. Not too many broken bones, maybe a little blood. Don't overdo it, because it's not the main focus of the fic.

Yes, that's why I thought the Carrows would be better, simply because they're nuts. And, Alecto is the girl, but Amycus would work too...or both of them, if you like.

Be careful not to offend anyone though, to expand on what Megan said. Torture in the way that you're (we're) thinking of needs to be portrayed in the right way.

--Hanni

hermione_granger4life
    Thank ya...that just shows how much I know...lol...I thought Alecto was the girl...lol...whoops...lol. I might need to go back and change that. The thing is that I havent actually described how she had been tortured. Just her injuries which is a few broken bones and a smidges of blood. I havent said how she was tortured at all. You just know it's there by the way I talk about her injuries. So, thanks to all!

*Emma