Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Kreacher

  1. #1
    The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldnt Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    mudbloodproud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    With Sirius on his flying bike
    Posts
    1,209

    Kreacher

    After DH, Kreacher accepted Harry as his master. He even seems to tolerate Hermione. Knowing this, I have a few questions about his change of attitude.

    In my WIP, Who Am I?, Kreacher has been staying at Hogwarts since the battle which was only a few weeks prior. While the trio is briefly at the school, Kreacher appears and asks Harry when they will be going back to Grimmauld Place, Harry tells him to stay at Hogwarts for now.

    Question #1 Is it OOC for Kreacher to be upset with this news? Would he show disappointment and or anger and being told this?

    Later in the same day, the trio returns to Grimmauld Place, and Kreacher shows up.

    Question #2 Knowing how Kreacher was when the trio was hiding there in DH, would he be the same way? Cooking meals, and helping to clean the place of the neglect of the past few months?

    Thanks in advance for your help. I don't want another chapter rejected for a character being OOC.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House


  2. #2
    Rhi for HP
    Guest
    Question #1 Is it OOC for Kreacher to be upset with this news? Would he show disappointment and or anger and being told this?

    I don't think he would be. He is loyal to Harry now, and respects him, so I think he would respect his wishes (and even be pleased to serve).

    Question #2 Knowing how Kreacher was when the trio was hiding there in DH, would he be the same way? Cooking meals, and helping to clean the place of the neglect of the past few months?

    Definitely! Provided Harry remained kind to him (which he undoubtedly would), I think he would love to do things like that.

  3. #3
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbloodproud
    In my WIP, Who Am I?, Kreacher has been staying at Hogwarts since the battle which was only a few weeks prior. While the trio is briefly at the school, Kreacher appears and asks Harry when they will be going back to Grimmauld Place, Harry tells him to stay at Hogwarts for now.

    Question #1 Is it OOC for Kreacher to be upset with this news? Would he show disappointment and or anger and being told this?
    Be specific about "for now". Kreacher has shown an amazing cunning in getting around vague orders. "For now", to Kreacher, may very well mean "for the next sixty seconds". Or six seconds. Or whatever you get the picture. And Harry knows this; remember how he told Kreacher he wasn't allowed to give Draco any idea that he was being followed? But he HAD to obey Harry, even though he didn't want to.

    So if the orders were like, "stay here until the castle is rebuilt", or "stay here until I, Ron or Hermione call for you" or "stay until I come back to get you", that's fine; yes, Kreacher would probably be upset that he can't return to his ancestral home, assuming he knows that's where Harry is going. Or if Kreacher feels the home is in need of him for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbloodproud
    Later in the same day, the trio returns to Grimmauld Place, and Kreacher shows up.

    Question #2 Knowing how Kreacher was when the trio was hiding there in DH, would he be the same way? Cooking meals, and helping to clean the place of the neglect of the past few months?

    Thanks in advance for your help. I don't want another chapter rejected for a character being OOC.

    Against Harry's direct orders? He can't do that. If the orders were vague, or if he were called, or if he were dismissed from Hogwarts by McGonagall or something, that's different. But if Harry told Kreacher "stay at Hogwarts until I come to get you", Kreacher *CAN NOT* just "decide to show up".

    Remember, Kreacher was taken into the lake of the Inferi, and Regulus called him back, and although Kreacher was drowned and dead, he obeyed, such is the magic on an elf.

  4. #4
    Kcharles
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    Be specific about "for now". Kreacher has shown an amazing cunning in getting around vague orders. "For now", to Kreacher, may very well mean "for the next sixty seconds". Or six seconds. Or whatever you get the picture. And Harry knows this; remember how he told Kreacher he wasn't allowed to give Draco any idea that he was being followed? But he HAD to obey Harry, even though he didn't want to.

    So if the orders were like, "stay here until the castle is rebuilt", or "stay here until I, Ron or Hermione call for you" or "stay until I come back to get you", that's fine; yes, Kreacher would probably be upset that he can't return to his ancestral home, assuming he knows that's where Harry is going. Or if Kreacher feels the home is in need of him for some reason.




    Against Harry's direct orders? He can't do that. If the orders were vague, or if he were called, or if he were dismissed from Hogwarts by McGonagall or something, that's different. But if Harry told Kreacher "stay at Hogwarts until I come to get you", Kreacher *CAN NOT* just "decide to show up".

    Remember, Kreacher was taken into the lake of the Inferi, and Regulus called him back, and although Kreacher was drowned and dead, he obeyed, such is the magic on an elf.
    BUT if Harry says for Kreacher "Stay there for now" he wouldn't be disobeying anything!



    Question #1 Is it OOC for Kreacher to be upset with this news? Would he show disappointment and or anger and being told this?

    I don't think he'd be upset, but if it was for a long time he might be.

    Question #2 Knowing how Kreacher was when the trio was hiding there in DH, would he be the same way? Cooking meals, and helping to clean the place of the neglect of the past few months?

    I think so, as long as the trio was still being nice to him.

  5. #5
    Fawkes_the_Phoenix
    Guest
    Question #1 Is it OOC for Kreacher to be upset with this news? Would he show disappointment and or anger and being told this?

    There would probably be the kind of thing that when he was initially told he would be upset for a moment. However, he is a house elf and they must do everything their master tells them so he would have to stay no matter how upset he was. I agree with CM though, because Kreacher has a tendency to search for loopholes. I picture it as Harry tells Kreacher to stay, he's upset for a brief moment but goes along with it, Harry leaves, he immediately starts searching for that loophole which CM pointed out. If there is no specific time frame mentioned then Kreacher can leave pretty much whenever he wants to.

    Question #2 Knowing how Kreacher was when the trio was hiding there in DH, would he be the same way? Cooking meals, and helping to clean the place of the neglect of the past few months?

    If Harry doesn't send Kreacher back to Hogwarts with stricter instructions, then yes. It depends on Harry's reasoning for telling Kreacher to remain at Hogwarts. If its important that Kreacher not be with Harry then he would send him back. If he lets him stay then he would be exactly the same as he was. There is no doubt that the trio will be nice to him, they saw what happened to Sirius when Sirius was mean to Kreacher.

    If the orders were vague, or if he were called, or if he were dismissed from Hogwarts by McGonagall or something, that's different
    I disagree with the part about being dismissed. Kreacher is under the orders of Harry and no one else. If McGonagall were to tell him to leave he can't because Harry told him to stay.

    ~Kacie

  6. #6
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes_the_Phoenix
    I disagree with the part about being dismissed. Kreacher is under the orders of Harry and no one else. If McGonagall were to tell him to leave he can't because Harry told him to stay.
    Right, but if Harry says something like "Stay here until the school is repaired" or "stay here until further notice" or something, and McGonagall said "Thank you, Kreacher, you may leave", I'm thinking Kreacher would view that as "school is repaired" or "further notice".

  7. #7
    MabelJT
    Guest
    I think, in OOP, Dumbledore or someone mentioned that Kreacher had betrayed Sirius to Bellatrix and Narcissa because they treated him kindly... or something along the lines of that. My question is: They lived in different households, and assuming that Narcissa's family already had a house elf of their own, why would they need Kreacher? Like, when would they require his service? Name a possible scenario...

  8. #8
    quibblequill
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MabelJT
    I think, in OOP, Dumbledore or someone mentioned that Kreacher had betrayed Sirius to Bellatrix and Narcissa because they treated him kindly... or something along the lines of that. My question is: They lived in different households, and assuming that Narcissa's family already had a house elf of their own, why would they need Kreacher? Like, when would they require his service? Name a possible scenario...
    They needed Kreacher for that *express* purpose! They didn't need him to cook or clean or do laundry; they needed information for Voldemort on Sirius, and through him, on Harry. Let's face it, Sirius wasn't exactly the best master. So if poor little Kreacher (go along with me here) gets called upon those he would *rather* serve in the first place, and they show him compassion and sympathy, of course Kreacher is going to mention something as trival as "Master is very close to Harry Potter" to them!

    Kreacher I think was forbidden from giving any information having to do with the Order
    away, but Sirius had never really thought of how something so small and *utterly* obvious to everyone else might be a big deal to Voldemort. Therefore, Kreacher was perfectly within his limits to "betray" Sirius.

  9. #9
    cmwinters
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MabelJT
    I think, in OOP, Dumbledore or someone mentioned that Kreacher had betrayed Sirius to Bellatrix and Narcissa because they treated him kindly... or something along the lines of that. My question is: They lived in different households, and assuming that Narcissa's family already had a house elf of their own, why would they need Kreacher? Like, when would they require his service? Name a possible scenario...
    They didn't "need" him. He's bound to the Black family until given clothes. When he was summarily dismissed from Grimmauld Place by Sirius, he had nowhere else in the Black family to go *except* to Narcissa. Regulus was dead, the Prewetts were disowned, the Crouchs were dead, Bella was still in jail and Andromeda had been disowned.

    He didn't go because Narcissa needed a service. He went because he had to go to someone in the family, and nobody else was appropriate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •