Thread: Horcruxes

Pius

Horcruxes- ready to be locked away...

Hello all! Here's my predicament:
    Say that Snape has a horcrux. When he dies, does his soul "reside" in that horcrux, or go somewhere else? Additionally, would there be any way to restore him to his body?

All theories are welcome!
    Thanks,
    Pius

LucillaJoanna
    Hello, Pius,

Here is a link for general info about Horcruxes. The one in HPL is outdated.

First, though, only a fraction (half, and then another half, and then another as you go along making them) of someone's soul resides in a Horcrux. But as souls are generally undivideable like pizza, when you die having a Horcrux, you become somewhat of a mean ghost, still tied to the living world and able to do things a normal ghost isn't able to, like trying to get back in a body, for instance.

> Yes, the fraction of soul resides in the Horcrux even though the owner dies, and stays there until its vessel is destroyed.

> As Voldemort has shown us, having Horcruxes only assures you that you stay 'alive', unbanished from the world of the living even when you die. Horcruxes are like anchors to the living world, that's how I perceive them.

> But that piece of soul in the Horcrux stays in the Horcrux, if this is what you meant in your question. Otherwise, Voldemort would have told Bellatrix about at least one of the Horcruxes, so that they can resurrect them through it anytime. And Godric, imagine if he set all the Death Eaters in some kind of competition or race to see who resurrected him first from his Horcruxes. We'd have maybe six Voldemorts?

> Oh EDIT: an addition: The piece of soul in his body (not the piece in the Horcrux), roams and haunts the way ghosts do, but it is less substantial than a ghost. Where it goes, you can decide as the author. JKR had Voldy's go to Albania.

These are my thoughts.

~Joanna

Really good post, lovely. 5 points.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius
    Say that Snape has a horcrux. When he dies, does his soul "reside" in that horcrux, or go somewhere else? Additionally, would there be any way to restore him to his body?
    The part of his soul which is in his horcrux remains in his horcrux, and this is how he remains bound to the Earth. But the other part of his soul becomes, like Joanna said, somewhat like a ghost, but less substantial. We also know that the soul can take a human host (Quirrell).

Snape could return to his body in some way using the Sorcerer's Stone. Of course, this has been destroyed, so unless this is an AU fic, that isn't possible. There is also the method that Voldemort used to come back, of course that would mean he would need someone to cut off a hand (or maybe a finger would be enough) in order to bring him back. Or you could be creative and make a new way, since we've already seen these. I think it's very likely there are others, and Snape may know one, considering his aptiude for the dark arts and potions.

Quote Originally Posted by LucillaJoanna
    But that piece of soul in the Horcrux stays in the Horcrux, if this is what you meant in your question. Otherwise, Voldemort would have told Bellatrix about at least one of the Horcruxes, so that they can resurrect them through it anytime. And Godric, imagine if he set all the Death Eaters in some kind of competition or race to see who resurrected him first from his Horcruxes. We'd have maybe six Voldemorts?
    I don't think you can resurrect someone more than once. When Peter resurrected Voldemort, he performed it on the soul leftover from his body. It wasn't the ring or Nagini that he threw into the cauldron (that would have been interesting ) so I think the soul from the body is needed, not a horcrux. That could be a funny story though, about the Death Eaters competing for Horcruxes.

Excellent continuation of the discussion. 5 points.

cmwinters
    Hello all! Here's my predicament:

All theories are welcome!
    Thanks,
    Pius
    When he dies, his soul would be tied to earth; remember, when the Dark Lord hit Harry with that AK, some bit of his soul went into exile in Albania. Then there were the bits he had secured in the Horcuxes, which are separate.

So if Snape "died", and he had a Horcrux, there would be the part of his soul IN the Horcrux, plus the earthbound bit that (presumably), was originally in his body.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Yes, there is a way to restore him to his body. Someone would have to find the earthbound bit of his soul, and it appeared that the ritual the Dark Lord invented restored *him* to his body, so Snape could presumably use that one or possibly even make up one of his own.

I do think that there is a way to restore a soul to power from the Horcrux. Remember, Ginny nearly died in CoS so that Tom Riddle could be ressurrected. That brings in an interesting storyline, because the bit that was in exile in Albania didn't know about Tom almost ressurrecting himself, and the bit in the diary didn't know about the bit in Albania, so you could potentially have two Dark Lords running around had that gone a bit differently.

Great contribution. 5 points.

Pius
    Thanks for excellent input, everyone.

I'm still wondering, though, would it be possible to return someone to his original body after he dies if he has a horcrux. Voldemort, as we know, looks little like his original self after his resurrection in GoF, but at the same time was nearly resurrected as his much younger self in CoS.

- Pius

red haired mom
    I'm still wondering, though, would it be possible to return someone to his original body after he dies if he has a horcrux. Voldemort, as we know, looks little like his original self after his resurrection in GoF, but at the same time was nearly resurrected as his much younger self in CoS.
    If the same, or similar, method were used to restore him to a body, then yes.

During the course of the books we see several ways for them to come back. In SS, Voldemort used unicorn blood to achieve a more corporeal form, although still vaporous. He then tried to take the Stone, which he would have used as a means of regaining a body of some sort. It never tells us what type or version of himself he would have made.

In CoS, the Horcrux in the diary was pulling life force from Ginny. When hers was depleted the soul fragment inside it would have been re born, at the age it was put there.

In GoF, he settled for his old body back, just to get it over with. I don't think he would've done so if he could've found a way to make it better, and/or stronger. The self he looked like, is the one he was when he tried to kill Harry.

Each Horcrux has a different 'looking' Voldemort inside it. Because they were done, not only at different ages, but also because after each rip of the soul, he became less human.

I hope this helped, and if any of my opinions needs more explanation, please let me know.

~Wendy

Well thought-through and explained. 5 points.

cmwinters
    Thanks for excellent input, everyone.

- Pius
    Gosh, I think you'd have to get right on that, and whoever would have to know he had the Horcrux to start with, and probably have the item to hand. Decomposition sets in almost immediately, and if they wanted to restore him to his original body they'd definitely have to do something about the blood loss and the wounds.

So, if Snape had one Horcrux, he'd probably be pretty much himself and look like himself, whether he was returned to his original body, or not. He doesn't seem to have suffered significant damage to his soul after Dumbledore's death . . .

Pius
    Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. Are you saying that the condition of the soul reflects the body that one receives via the revitalizing cermony that Voldemort uses, i.e. Snape, with a relatively whole soul (If i did indeed use the murder of Dumbledore, which i'd been planning on) would not look demonic if he went through a body restoration, even without his original body? That is curious...
    Now you've got me thinking about what Snape's soul looks like!

cmwinters
    You should take my dark magic class next term; I have a WHOLE WEEK dedicated to Horcruxes.

But yes, I do think that some of the Dark Lord's physical transformations are as a result of his deliberately damaging his soul. Diary!Tom was normal looking, Borgin&Burkes!Tom had slightly red eyes, Interviewee!Tom had the red eyes and paler skin, and it seems like as he continued to make Horcruxes, the less human in appearance he became. And there wasn't a marked enough difference between "Dark Lord who went to kill the Potters" and "Dark Lord who showed up at the Ministry" that fourteen years later anyone had any trouble identifying him.

Frankly, it's highly unlikely that Dumbledore was the FIRST murder Snape had committed, but I think it's possible to kill someone and not rush out and make a Horcrux with it. However, Snape's appearance, even as a child, is relatively unchanged from that as an adult, apart from differences in height and angle and such, but his skin was sallow, his teeth crooked and yellow, his hair black and greasy, his eyes black, and even his stride (which frankly I find implausible, but nevermind that), so *maybe* give him two Horcruxes if you have to, but I wouldn't go so far as three, personally.

Oh, right, soul appearance.

Here are two charts I made for the discussion of the Dark Lord's soul for my Dark Arts class.

Halved each time

Equal parts

star_sailor
    I was always under the impression that the making of the Horcrux was somewhat ritualistic, since that seems to be a trend in old and dark magic. I'm sure it takes a little more effort than just knocking someone off. There has to be some sort of process that you'd have to prepare for, cause I wouldn't think ripping your soul and storing it in an object is like making a deposit at the bank. I'm sure, like cmwinters said, that the physical transformations are caused by the soul-splitting. The correlation between all the halving of Voldemort's soul and his appearance are too closely related. There are plenty of mean people out there, but only Voldemort, who continued to split his soul, lost distinctions to his body.

This is all guess-work, obviously, but I think the object and sacrifice must both be present at the time of the murder, though since it seems just about anything can be turned into a horcrux, finding an item wouldn't be terribly hard to come by unless you had something particular in mind like Voldy. I don't think the victims have to be specific people either, as long as it's a murder. And Snape had almost definitely killed someone prior. Before his alliance with Dumbledore, I'm sure he would have wanted to see what using the Killing Curse was like.