Thread: The morning after the night before

padfootsgirl1981

The morning after the night before

Hi! Do you guys think that it is possible that such a thing as a hangover potion would exist in the wizarding world? And if so, how accessible do you think it would be? Ie: could the Marauders (aged 17-18) be able to get hold of a bottle?

Any help highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Just Beyond the Veil
    I think it's very possible and very likely that there would be some type of hangover potion. I've seen fics that have used it, and they have also had the Marauders get hold of it. They could probably buy them in Diagon Alley, but I'm not sure if a 17 or 18 year old would be allowed to buy one. It's probably a reasonable assumption that they would have restrictions on selling it to people under a certain age. The only way I could see them getting it is if someone older bought it or if they somehow tricked the person in the store.

Hope that helped!
    ~Chelsea

star_sailor
    A hangover potion seems perfectly plausible.

I'm not sure if a 17 or 18 year old would be allowed to buy one.
    Adding onto Chelsea's comment, if they were selling it in Diagon Alley, it would only be fair to sell it to people 17 years and older, since that is the wizard's adulthood age. If you can buy the drink, it should be perfectly legal to purchase the cure, right? But maybe it's cumbersome to make, like Felix Felicis or something, so it's sold in heavy moderation.

I have a feeling it wouldn't be sold much, frankly. People would learn nothing if they could get plastered, but fix it with a potion and without consequence. Unless altering the hangover would have a nasty side-effect, the potion would be too perfect. If your characters are still at Hogwarts though, I'm sure they could nick a bit out of the potion store. There seems to be a little bit of everything in there.

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea

Do you guys think that it is possible that such a thing as a hangover potion would exist in the wizarding world?
    Yeah. 'Cause practically everything is available in the wizarding world, so why not a hangover potion?

And if so, how accessible do you think it would be? Ie: could the Marauders (aged 17-18) be able to get hold of a bottle?
    Umm... I guess so. It would be available to people aged 17 and above. The Marauders can easily get their hands on it by using some tactics or something. They are Marauders after all!
    - Write - Beta - Drabble - Duel - Help -

Awesome avvie by Minna/minnabird.

LucillaJoanna
    I was just about to post about how hangover potions are so cliched now... Needs some spiffing and tweaking so it can look fresh.

Good points from Chelsea and Chris.

My two knuts: hangover has symptoms, and as with colds, you can only get rid of the symptoms. And we do have Pepper Up Potion, which is, to my perception, like a panacea for everything from colds to migraines to nausea. Percy made Ginny drink some when she 'was looking pale'.

It's nice to have only some of the symptoms cleared away. I agree with Chris that it seems too convenient, even for Wizarding standards, to have such a potion for getting sloshed. But in Ireland, they do have concoctions like that, I've read in books.

I doubt the school potions store would have one though. It's probably one of those potions you only learn to brew out of school; they expect you not to drink after all, so why teach how to brew an antidote? And of course, neither are teachers expected to drink! So it's pointless to keep a hangover potion on hand.

~Joanna

hermione_granger4life
    Wow...I actually am currently writing a fic where they have a hangover potion in it. But in mine I sort of set it up differently. Like the character took it before getting drunk and it will prevent them from suffering the more serious hangover issues like throwing up and looking like you had been hit by a truck(not literally...lol.) but it wouldn't completely keep away a headache. It's efficiency depended on how much alcohol the person consumed. If they consumed a large amount, they would still have a headache or soemthing like that. I wanted them to be punished for their actions, no tortured...lol.

As for who could possibly get the potion, if you had an exceptionally gifted potions person...say it is in the maurauders era and you were friend with snape, it would be pretty easy for them to just whip one up for you. The girl in my story was exceptionally gifted in potions so she could easily whip one up. The only place I could think of where a wizard could get one would possibly be in knockturn alley possibly? Anyway hope some of this helps. Good luck with you story!

padfootsgirl1981
    Wow! Thanks so much everyone for your input!

Mods: I've gotten what I need from this thread, please feel free to lock and grave .