Thread: Next Generation Timeline Inconsistencies

Hybrid View

Mistletoe

Next Generation Timeline Inconsistencies

I'm writing a Teddy fic right now, and as I was looking through the Lexicon, it mentioned that Teddy was in his seventh year at Hogwarts in 2017. Then it went on to tell me that Rose, Albus Severus, and Scorpius all began their first year in 2017. Then *drumroll please*, it told me that Teddy was off to see Victoire in that same year, meaning he was no longer in school.

Therefore, I am utterly befuddled, and would like to ask the help of Next Gen professionals. When exactly was Teddy in his seventh year, and how old was Scorpius in relation to him?

hazeltwilight
    He would be 19 in 2017 because he was born in the spring of 1998. So he would have been in his seventh year 2015-2016. That would make him 8 years older then scorpius who is eleven at the start of the 2017-2018 school year.

Hope that helps!

EDIT - Cirelondiels right, apparently I've lost the ability to count backwards - I blame it on it being one in the morning when I answered the question.

cirelondiel
    I'm writing a Victoire fic so I've mapped out the whole timeline of the next gen

Actually, if Teddy was born early in 1998, and you have to be 17 before you start 7th year (because you have to turn 11 before starting first year), then he would have started Hogwarts in the 2009-2010 school year and been in 7th year in the 2015-2016 school year, two years before the school year beginning in the epilogue (not in 2014-2015 as hazeltwilight said. The rest of hazeltwilight's comments were correct though). So he has already been out of school for a year when Scorpius starts. The Lexicon is very wrong in saying that he was still in 7th year in the epilogue.

So, in the epilogue, Teddy has turned 19 earlier in the year, and Scorpius (and Rose and Albus) have turned 11 within the past year. Teddy was born in early 98 and Scorpius and co must have been born between Sept 2005 and Aug 2006. So Teddy is 7 or 8 years older than them in calender years (if you simply count between their current ages of 19 and 11, he's 8 years older) and 8 years ahead of them in school years.

And, if you're interested, then assuming Victoire is starting 7th year in the epilogue, Teddy is two school years ahead of Victoire. (Which annoys me, because I want them to only be one year apart! So I might just blame it on JKR's maths skills )

Heh. I'm pretty sure that whole post is confusing, so to summarise, Teddy was in seventh year in 2015-2016, neither Teddy nor Scorpius was at school in 2016-2017, and Scorpius was in first year in 2017-2018. In the epilogue, Teddy's 19 and Scorpius is 11, so Teddy's 8 years older than Scorpius.

Hope that rather confusing post helps you!

~ Chelsea