Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical Thoughts Challenge Round Robin

h_vic
    It’s 149 words, so just sneaked in under the limit, and the song is Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.

Warning - reference to slash.

Albus Dumbledore sat on the cold stone steps and stared out at the lake. The wizarding world was celebrating the defeat of an evil presence, a dark wizard, but all Albus had seen in the face of the man he had defeated was the boy he had once loved. He felt hollow, as if everything that he had been before had left him long behind.

Listlessly, he turned his head and noticed a small wooden box beside him that had not been there before. The lid sprang open unbidden and a haunting melody seeped out.

Well, maybe there's a god above
    But all I've ever learned from love
    Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
    It's not a cry that you hear at night
    It's not somebody who's seen the light
    It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

“Hallelujah indeed,” whispered Albus brokenly and the box disappeared.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Severus stormed into the dorm and threw himself on his bed. He could not believe what he had just done, just said, to Lilly. He had lost her forever, all because Potter had pushed him too far. He punched his pillow in frustration and heard a thunk, reaching under it he found a small wooden box. He turned it over in his hands and the lid popped open. He sat stunned as he listened to the lyrics of a song coming from the box.

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
    I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

I'd take another chance, take a fall
    Take a shot for you
    And I need you like a heart needs a beat
    But it's nothin new

Severus threw the box as hard as he could towards the wall, it disappeared before it could make contact.
    Here is my contribution, this was a great idea. I heard this song a little while ago and inspiration struck, it is 147 words and the song is Apoligize by One Republic.
    ~Kristy

FullofLife
    Xenophilius feverishly poured the steaming tea from kettle to pot, goose bumps rising on his arms. Flashes of fear, excitement, trepidation swept over him. Harry Potter, in his house! He could do it – he could finally have his Luna back.

He set the teapot on its tray with shaking hands and knocked a little box on the shelf to the ground. It fell with a small wooden echo.

Xenophilius’s eyes raked the hills outside as music suddenly filled with room – oh, he could still see his dear, darling Luna… dancing to that waltz-like song...

A waltz when she walks in the room
    She pulls back the hair from her face
    She turns to the window to sway in the moonlight
    Even her shadow has grace…

He would do it. They’d come for Potter… oh, yes...

Xenophilius pushed open the window, pulled out his wand, and the music box vanished.
    Phew! 149 words - the song is "So She Dances" by Josh Groban... a perfect Luna song. Remember that waltz-like song at Bill's wedding?

h_vic
    Here’s another one. It’s 144 words long and the lyrics are from Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven

“Damn it!”

Draco Malfoy kicked the broken Vanishing Cabinet in frustration. He knew that the chances of him succeeding were becoming slimmer by the day and he wished he’d never been given the stupid task in the first place. He had to carry through with it now though or brave the wrath of the Dark Lord and Draco knew he didn’t have the courage for that.

Suddenly, sat atop the Cabinet, he noticed a small wooden box, which he could have sworn was not there a moment before. The lid of the box swung open and music began to play.

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on.

Draco slammed the box shut. He had no choices. His path was set.

When he looked back, the box had gone.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

A ha!! At last!!

He sat in his chair, brooding over Dumbledore’s words.

“It was never for him. Never! Why should I care for the boy?” he muttered to himself. The conversation had left him restless, yet he pressed himself to get his work done. As he reached for his cauldron, his hand ran into something hard and smooth.

Cause when I close my eyes,
    I still can see your smile.

It's bright enough to light my life,
    out of my darkest hour.

The soft melody from the wooden box lifted his heart and eased his tension. He raised his wand once more so he could see his precious doe.

Please believe it's true...
    when I tell you I love you.

“It was always for you, Lily. Always.”

As his patronus faded, so did the music. As he looked back, the box was gone.
    Song: I See Your Smile by Gloria Estefan
    Word Count: 140
    M.R.S.

The Marauding Cupcake
    I've got a million of 'em! I love this prompt!

Lily slammed the dorm room door closed and tears began to spill hotly down her cheeks. How could he think “I’m sorry” would make it all right? Didn’t he understand the choices he was making and how they affected people – above all, her?

Angrily, she made her way to her bedside table where the picture of the two of them from first year stood. A small wooden box appeared next to it. The thought that it was yet another gesture from Severus to make amends flitted across her mind and she opened it warily.

And when I see you cry it makes me want to die
    I’m sorry I’m bad, I’m sorry I’m blue, I’m sorry about all things I said to you
    And I know I can’t take it back

Lily slammed the lid shut and the box disappeared.

“Not this time,” she sniffed sadly. “Not this time.”
    Word count: 149
    Artist/Song: Buckcherry/Sorry

~Michelle

Ravenclaw_Soprano
    Luna finally flopped on her bed, having searched the castle for her belongings. She couldn't understand why anyone would hide them, yet it always seemed to happen.

Something rustled beside her. She looked over into her trunk to see a wooden box sitting on top of her clothes; it definitely hadn't been there before, and she didn't recognize it.

Curiosity prompted her to open it; music began to trickle out.

It isn't very difficult to see why you are the way you are;
    Doesn't take a genius to realize that sometimes life is hard...

"But why does everyone else make it harder for me? What makes me so different?"

Come over here lady
    Let me wipe your tears away
    Come a little nearer baby
    And you'll heal over
    Heal over
    Heal over someday

She shook her head and closed the box again. "They'll never understand. Nothing will ever change."
    Song: Heal Over by KT Tunstall
    Word Count: 149 *gasp*

Good idea; I've got more coming!
    ~Lauren

h_vic
    Oh dear, this is proving far too effective as a method of work avoidance! This one’s 144 words and the lyrics are from Take That’s Babe.

Remus Lupin stormed out of number twelve, Grimmauld Place fuming. What could Harry possibly understand? The boy was little more than a child himself!

This left Remus with the slight problem of where to go now though – he couldn’t go with Harry and he couldn’t go home. He slumped down on a bench and idly picked up the small box next to him.

As I looked away
    I saw a face behind you
    A little boy stood at your door
    And when I looked again
    I saw his face
    Was shining
    He had my eyes
    He had my smile

Babe
    I'm back again
    I tell you I'm back again
    I'll be here for you

Remus stared at the box as he shut it, cutting of the music. He knew then that he couldn’t do it – he couldn’t leave Tonks to raise their son alone.

Mistletoe
    As Andromeda walked through the corridor with her best friend, she caught his gaze. Margaret noticed and said, "Look at that Mudblood, he can't even look respectable."

Breaking away from the hot stare of the boy, she followed her friend towards the Transfiguration classroom. As Margaret entered the room, she felt a large hand encircle her skinny arm and drag her from the doorway.

“What was that about?” His warm breath stirred next to her ear.

Andromeda looked into the familiar eyes of the boy. “Ted, I can’t do this right now.”

He pushed himself roughly away from her and began to walk down the hall. Stopping, he turned and shoved a worn box into her hands.

Opening it, she heard,

He sees everything black and white
    Never let anybody see him cry
    I don’t let nobody see me wishing he was mine

Looking up, she saw a vacant hallway.
    The song is I'd Lie by Taylor Swift.
    Word Count: 150 *gasp* That was hard to do.

-Kat

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Dramione, unite!!!

As he passed the courtyard, his eyes caught the brilliant highlights from her bushy brown hair. She was sitting on the lawn, laughing with Ron.

He peered from around the corner to watch their loving exchange. His face twitched every time she laughed at Ron’s stupid jokes.

As he turned away, he noticed a small box near him. When he opened it, he heard something odd. Yet the music from the box fit his mood perfectly.

I hate you...
    (I hate you.)

Because I love you.
    (Because I love you.)

But I can't love you.
    (I can't love you.)

Because I hate you.
    (I HATE YOU!)

“Someday, Granger, you will be mine,” he sneered.

I love you, cause you're all that's ever on my mind.
    I hate you, because I love you.

“Draco?” came Pansy’s voice. As he looked to her, then looked back, he noticed the box was gone.
    Song: I Hate U by Prince!!
    Word Count: 150
    M.R.S.