Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Number Seven

squirrly donut
    In my next gen fic, I was thinking of having them play Scategories. Does that game exist in England? Is my idea remotely plausible?

apollo13
    YES!!!! OMS, my family LOVES scattergories! (sp?) We always play it - we've actually run out of the pads of paper! However, when we play it with other families, they rarely actually know the game, so it's not especially well known. Maybe you could have the smart-alec of the bunch introduce it to the others?

~Evie

emmaholloway
    Oh. I just looked it up.
    I didn't know it was an actual like board game thing.
    Me and my friends play it at school in between history lessons. (Yeah, We're cool)
    But we call it bus stop. And we choose our own catagories and we choose letters by running through the letters in our head and then the first person to get all the catagories shouts out 'BUS STOP!!!'
    Most people know it I think, just played differently, and with different names.

hermybabay82
    I've recently written a drabble in which I have Sirius sleeping on a cot at the Potter's house. The lovely Maria (pokethedevil) has brought to my attention that in England this is what a baby would sleep in! Since I don't see Sirius fitting into something so small at the age of seventeen, I'm here to ask: What would you put him sleeping on? I would like it to be a fold up bed of some sort that would be in existence in the 70's. (I don't think a futon would work)

Thanks for the help!

~Stacy~

Edit: Thanks, Evie! That cleared it up!

apollo13
    Stacy, you friend is correct in saying that only babies sleep in cots in England. It is one of the many Americanisms that confuse and then annoy me.

Just a camp bed would be fine, or even just a sleeping bag on the sofa/floor if he was only there for one night.

~Evie

Shev
    A camp bed would probably be the best equivalent. Exactly what you describe - a fold out bed, generally made of a metal with a thin matress on top.

Here's a picture of one that would be very similar to the kind of ones from the 70's, though I imagine this one is a little more lightweight than they were back then.

AurorGirl101
    Would it be proper to call your doctor MR. or DR.? This is something I have been wondering for a long time, and have heard a few different things. Thanks!

h_vic
    It's usually Dr, but surgeons are Mr/Mrs (there's also no full stop after a title like that in the UK).

~Hannah

apollo13
    Yes, since the Medival times, Surgeons have always been called Mr/Ms because it was once considored that they were lower than doctor, naimly because they killed more people than saved.

And Doctor would have an un-capitalized r, like this: Dr Green

~Evie

**plotbunnies**
    Hello!

I was wondering, what sort of houses would British people live in in the Founder's era?

I would like an answer fairly quickly, btw.

-Anne