Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Number Seven

Heather25x
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyMental
    Pancakes is what we've always called them. Or crÍpes, when we wanted to feel French.
    Never "flapjacks" or whatever they're called.
    Indeed Flapjacks are a totally different thing. Like with nuts in them or something?

Horsesbella219
    Aren't flapjacks oaty biscuit things, held together with honey?

And we call them pancakes, though if they are the packet kind, which are thicker, and smaller in size, which you eat with maple syrup, where i live, we call them scotch pancakes.

hermybabay82
    OMG! I'm somewhat embarassed to ask this, I feel I should know it! What exactly are kippers?

~Stacy~

apollo13
    Hey! What a fantastic question for me - my Dad owns a fish shop. Kippers are a fish, namely, a smoked herring, I believe, though other fish can be used, such as mackerel or salmon. If I'm wrong, I should never work at my Dad's shop again. Or I'm just out of practice - haven't worked there in months.

Kippers are rather odd looking - google and image search of them to see what I mean. This is because it's been split, and opened up. Because a kipper looks rather like two fish joined together, one kipper is often called "a pair of kippers". If someone asks for a pair of kippers, I kow that they actually just mean one.

It is eaten as a breakfast food, but also as a lunch and dinner.

~Evie

emmaholloway
    They are also very hard to eat because there are like a gazillion tiny bones in it and it's not fun. Theres like a special technique to getting out the bones... I just don't know how, older people are more likely to know it.

apollo13
    As with all fish, you can pull the skeleton out as a whole if you know how. There will no doubt be some bones left, but they are not dangerous to swallow - just a bit uncomfortable.

~Evie

PadfootnPeeves
    Hey, Padfoot has a question!

Do you guys play, like, Cops& Robbers? If you do, how old would you outgrow it? (wow, it feels weird, asking people what kind of games they play...)
    Cheers!

Ellie4Harry
    I don't know 100 per cent about British kids, but here in Ireland we played Cops and Robbers all the time.

A lot of the girls in my class outgrew it when they were around seven, but the boys held on for a little longer - the game became steadily more violent with many 'injuries' after this.

We also would make up our own games like 'Boys Against the Girls' (creative, isn't it?). Basically, we would run around the playground tagging each other and the game would only finish when playtime was over. I know it sounds a little simple, but you have no idea how much fun it was!

Anyway, I hope this helped!
    Cheers,
    Ellie

TyrannoLaurus
    Cops and robbers was our favourite game on the playground up until about the age of 11 (end of Primary School!). In our school, it was actually banned for being too 'violent' at one point because the cops would literally drag all the robbers across the playground by their junpers to the painted base in the middle. You'd have everyone from years 4, 5 and 6 (between about 8 and 11) playing this game together. Hence why it was deemed dangerous in the end. It was generally more popular with the boys, but I was a tomboy back then so it was my favourite game. I'm talking about ten to eleven years ago now ... so 1997-1998! Wow ... how time flies!

h_vic
    We definitely played played cops and robbers when I was at Junior school (which was a few years before Tyrannolaurus and only a couple of years after the trio - I left for senior school in the summer of 1995). Boys and girls used to often both play against each other (although the boys used to win by just picking us up in the end) up until we left the school at 11, although more so when we were 8-9 (15 years ago! Ouch!). The boys were slowly seduced away by football though.