Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Being British Number Seven

hermybabay82
    Then a bottle of orange squash.
    Okay, all the other terms I recognized but what is this? Thanks for the awesome help! It really will come in handy. I knew I couldn't just put fried chicken, potato salad, and watermelon, that's more of an american/southern american thing I think!

Shev
    Quote Originally Posted by hermybabay82
    Okay, all the other terms I recognized but what is this? Thanks for the awesome help! It really will come in handy. I knew I couldn't just put fried chicken, potato salad, and watermelon, that's more of an american/southern american thing I think!
    Squash is diluting juice, similar to cordial but less syrupy. It's similar to the tins of frozen punch you can buy in North America, but in a bottle, not frozen and again less syrupy. Oh, and you would just use a given amount, depending on taste, rather than the whole bottle to make up your drink. Most common flavours are orange or blackcurrant/apple & blackcurrant, but there are tons of variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Can you help me with some snake species that are found in places near where Hogwarts is supposed to be (Britain), and also which of those are likely to be in places where it is wet with rain?

~Sainyn
    There are only 3 types of snake in the UK, the Grass Snake, the Smooth Snake and the Adder. The only one of these to be found regularly in Scotland - where Hogwarts is - is the Adder - it's also the only one that is poisonous.

http://www.wildlifebritain.com/theadder.php has some more details on it, but generally speaking the UK isn't really warm enough to have snakes out at wet, rainy times.

apollo13
    Y and adders are normally found in heavily forested areas, where there are lots of ferns. I live IN one of these said forests, and I have since I was five years old. In the ten years I have lived here, I have never seen a snake.

It is extremely uncommon to see an adder, they're quite rare, shy creatures.

~Evie

emmaholloway
    I've seen an adder in a forest in norfolk. It was very scary. I thought I was going to die...

I have a quick question. How widely celebrated is St. Patrick's Day in Britain? Also, what do you do to celebrate it?

It is naturally more celebrated in Ireland... but as an Englander, St Patricks day is more of an excuse to get really really drunk

apollo13
    That's debatable though. Most people didn't even know it was St Patricks day today at school. I only knew from everyone going on about it here!

To be honest, it is hardly celebrated at all, although a few people might go "it's St Patricks day, I HAVE to get drunk!"

~Evie

hpheart
    Gouls
    Zombies
    Brownies (non HP)
    Well I have never heard of a creepie called a brownie, but I have heard of the younger Girlguides callled Brownies! Thier aged 7-11 I think...

Zombies look just like Humans except sort of zoned out and they like to eat people's brain's!

Ghouls is just another word for ghost I think. Thats what I've heard from my 13 years of living in England

apollo13
    No, Ghoul is ike the ghoul in Ron's attic - slimy and moaning.

One thing I must say though - do not have "the bogey man" unless your fic is set in the north of England, but NOT Scotland.

~Evie

eaglette with wheels

weather

How much does it snow on the coast? the north, not the south) see, Im in Canada and today there is currently 1.7 M of snow on the ground... I'm doing a fic about lupin, and I'm talking about snow whipping through his falling-apart house (basically) but I just realized that I have nooo idea how much/little it snows in Britain.

Shev
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    One thing I must say though - do not have "the bogey man" unless your fic is set in the north of England, but NOT Scotland.

~Evie
    We certainly referred to 'the bogey man' when I was at primary school in Scotland. (~12-18 years ago)

As for a Brownie - it's an old Scottish folklore creature. They would supposedly inhabit houses and do work late at night in exchange for small gifts of food, but were said to leave if ever directly thanked or offered payment. It's also got a few Gaelic names, none of which I can remember offhand nor pronounce. Scottish folklore does have some more dangerous creatures though, the Each Usige being the prime example - a water horse that would lure travellers onto it's back before drowning them.

apollo13
    Which part of Scotland? Were you close to the border? I have a Scottish friend who lived in Glasgow for most of his life and assured me that he had never heard of such a thing, neither had the rest of his family.

~Evie