Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Number Seven

Jaely
    Hi everyone,

I have a question on food. I'm going to assume that most foods in Muggle England passes over to Magical England; so using that theory I would like to ask what are some common every day dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, what would be served for holiday meals do they differ, if so how? What are common drinks other than soda (I don't think soda is served in the magical world) and is Pumpkin Juice a made up drink or is it a common drink in England?

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Jaely

emmaholloway
    A Full English is the traditional breakfast, which is a fry up consisting of bacon and eggs (they are the center of the fry up and it would not be right to not have them, and then you add to it: sausages, tomatos, mushrooms, hash browns, beans, black pudding, fried bread and toast. Although you wouldn't be likely to have this every day as you would get really fat...

Kippers is another traditional thing. It's a fish with tiny bones that have to be taken out in a special way.

People are more likely to eat toast or cereal, but someone like Ron might go for the full english most days.

Dinner:

I would say fish and chips, but that's only right when it comes from a take away shop wrapped in paper, and I don't think they have many of them in the wizarding world.
    Steak and Kidney Pie or pudding
    Roast dinners would also have yorkshire puddings
    Toad in the Hole

Most meals I seem to eat now seem to come from different countries like pasta ect, and I always considered the wizard meals more english.

Pumpkin juice I have never come across apart from in harry potter.

Shev
    Common drinks? Well, apart from soda (not what we would call it hehe) the most common drinks would probably be fruit juice - orange and apple are most common - or 'squash'. Squash is diluting juice, similar to cordial but less syrupy. It's similar to the tins of frozen punch you can buy in North America, but in a bottle, not frozen and again less syrupy. Most common flavours are orange and blackcurrant/apple & blackcurrant, but there are tons of variations.

Obviously, we do drink a lot of tea, but coffee as well. Milk and tap water would also be fairly likely. Most of the tap water in the UK is perfectly safe to drink, and in a lot of areas actually tastes pretty reasonable too.

missgiggles316
    Ok...I've hit something somwhat unimportant in my fic, but I'd like to include it anyways. So, what would a be British slang alternative to "dork?" Thanks for any help!

~Rachael

Shev
    Quote Originally Posted by missgiggles316
    Ok...I've hit something somwhat unimportant in my fic, but I'd like to include it anyways. So, what would a be British slang alternative to "dork?" Thanks for any help!

~Rachael
    Actually, if you're talking canon period, it would be around the time when we got swamped in American slang phrases. So dork would be entirely acceptable. It certainly got used when I was at school...

apollo13
    To be on the safe side, I would just use idiot/geek/you're so sad, whichever fits best. Dork might not get through the luverly mods.

~Evie

AurorKeefy
    One that got used during my high school years, and I presume it was either a local expression or a soon to be antiquitated one, since I haven't heard it since was...

Boff - (Short, I presume, for Boffin) Someone who studies very hard, to the eventual detriment of their social skills. I'm not sure if that's quite what you're after, since the person tended to be uncool as a result of being a boff, rather than being a boff because they were necessarily uncool.

Rarely have I been so glad to be out of high school.

EDIT: In addition to previous answers on breakfast, the comic tv and stand-up character Lily Savage (played by Paul O'Grady, before he turned into a god awful tv presenter) described the "typical" (as opposed to traditional) english breakfast as being "a fag and a cup of coffee".

Jaely
    Thank you everyone for the info on the food a few questions off of that.

What is Black Pudding/Yorkshire Pudding? (I'm thinking of some dark chocolate pudding and I know thats not right. Puddings in America is a sweat custard like desserts i.e. chocolate, rice, vanilla, tapioca, buttersckoch...)

What is a Toad in the Hole? (That image just won't compute)

Is a Steak and Kidney pie, minced steak and kidney cooked in a pastry shell? Is there a difference between the Pie and the Pudding? (sorry for being clueless)

The "Fry-up" is it all one dish like all of it put in the eggs and cooked together or is it just they are all served together on the same plate?

What is common for lunch? (like here in America a common lunch, well other than fast food, is a sandwich and chips (crisps).

Is the fruit juices more common to drink in the morning or evening, or is it they are drank just as often at all meals?

At the age of 16 to 17 is tea or coffee drunk more? Over all which is a more popular beverage?

Now on to the comment by AurorKeefy: what is meant by the "a fag and a cup of coffee" I got the coffee part but I think I'm missing the meaning of fag, here in America it is a very derogatory term for a homosexual man, and I know thats not what you are referring to.

Thank you all for the help in this,
    Jaely

emmaholloway
    Black pudding is a sausage made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled.
    As you can imagine I have never eaten it.

Steak and kidney pudding is pretty much the same... except I think it is cooked differently.

Yorkshire pudding is batter that is baked and it becomes all puffy so it is soft in the middle and harder round the sides. Gravy is a necessity.

Toad in the hole is yorkshire pudding with sausages in.

Fry up means it is all on one plate.

Sandwiches are probably most common for lunch. Although things like soup or salads and pasta would be likely too. And for hogwarts they might have lighter versions of dinner. And like sausage and mash.

(I've just had a terrible thought. Are wizards deprived of baked beans?)

Fruit juice would be common all day. Although adults may be more likely to drink wine with dinner.

I feel that at about 15/16 drinking tea and coffee starts to become really exciting. Tea before this feels like an old person drink and you drink it secretly with lots of biscuits. But then suddenly you realise that everyone drinks tea and that it really is a necessity. With coffee only really odd kids like it before they are 15 but once you discover you do it too becomes a staple part of your diet. Unless my school and friends are just completely odd.

a fag is a cigarette.

that was fun.

h_vic
    Another breakfast would be a soft boiled egg and soldiers (buttered toast cut into long thin strips to dip in the egg - I think the name must be a Humpty-Dumpty reference), and a very traditional lunch would be a ploughman's lunch. It's served in just about every rural pub and is essentially supposed to be what farm workers would have taken for their lunch in days of yore. It always has a large piece of British cheese (most usually cheddar or stilton, but there would be significant regional variations such as Wensleydale), crusty bread or a bap and pickle (Branston pickle or piccalilli and sometimes pickled onion), and it may have a bit of simple salad (iceberg lettuce, cucumber and tomato) or perhaps slices of apple.

Fruit juice is drunk at any time, but most frequently at breakfast, and tea is definitely still more popular than coffee (although coffee is widely drunk).