Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British Number Seven

rita_skeeter

Being British Number Seven

It's that time again, folks!

Here's a brand spanking new thread to continue your questions/discussions about all things British: customs, school, food, work, etc.

Again, a very important reminder that we have quite a healthy number of users who join us from the UK and Ireland on these boards, and we've seen plenty of enthusiasm to help from many of them. Therefore, please could ONLY Brits answer things in here.

Make sure you're polite at all times - particularly if you're correcting/disagreeing with an answer some has posted previously. Remember we all make mistakes and deserve to be treated with respect.

And finally, remember the time difference when posting questions - you may have a bit of a wait before someone replies to your post. Be patient!

R_Ravenclaw
    So I just want to make sure of something. Is the whole "Santa Claus" myth as ingrained in children's heads as deeply as it is in America?

CCCC
    Yes, though often referred to as Father Christmas instead.

Crows
    Ah, what sort of games would young girls would play if they're waiting for their classes to start? (ie: Lily is waiting with her friends on break in the courtyard) I'm thinking more towards clapping games, or stuff like hopscotch, but I don't know these things, so if there are any games along those lines, and if someone could tell me how to play them, that'd be excellent.

Weasley24
    Is Lily about eleven? When I was eleven I had long grown out of clapping games and things like that.

We did things like sit of the grass, sunbathe, snowball fight with the boys, watch the boys play football, annoy younger years (if Lily's in second year) etc. Just teenage things.

Though I think I grew up way too quickly.

If your fic is about Lily before Hogwarts then clapping games usually had really rude lyrics. There's also a skipping rope game and you sing

Cinderella dressed in yella
    How many kisses is she gonna get from her fella?
    One
    two
    three...

Or handstand games like you sing

Down in the jungle where nobody goes
    There's a big fat mama washing her clothes
    With a scrub dub dub dubbadub and a scubabdub there
    thats the way she ashes her clothes
    scrub dub dub dubbadub baby
    That's the way she washes her clothes!

When your singing "scrub dub dub dubbadub baby" you walk backwards and make wave motions with your hands and after the last "scrub dub dub dubbadub baby" you run and do a handstand

Hope I helped
    -Sarah

Crows
    Ah, the universal love of Cinderella. I'll try some of it out. Thanks!

SiriuslyMental
    I know there's this one from round when Lily would have been young like that from England. (Lennon mentioned it once) I'll look it up for you.

Crows
    Oh thank you! *I suppose that I am going to really expand my knowledge of clapping games now* Very much apprieciated if you do find it. Good luck!

SiriuslyMental
    I can't find it, but my mum helped me out a bit. This is one she used to do with her friends, based on the old slogan for Smarties "Do you eat the red ones last?" Note, they're different from the American "smarties".

When you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?
    Do you suck them very slowly, or crunch them
    very fast? Eat that candy-coated chocolate,
    but tell me when I ask, When you eat you
    Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?

My name is
    High-Low Jack-alo
    Jack-alo High-Low
    High-Low Jack-alo
    Jack-alo High-Low
    (That's another one)

1 2 3 election
    4 5 6 election
    7 8 9 election
    10 election hoist
    (And another)

They're more, but I can't remember some of the words to look them up. Urgh.

And if you need anything other than a hand game, there's stuff like Bad Egg, British Bulldog (which is actually really violent for a kid's game), Piggy in the Middle, etc.

Ellie4Harry
    Hi!

At what age would British muggles be taking exams such as GCSEs and A-Levels?

Also what exactly happens in them and what is the marking scheme?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this!

Cheers,
    Ellie