Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luna Lovegood

Hybrid View

king_to_pine

Luna Lovegood

Luna, for me is one of the most confusing characters to write, her canon diolouge waxes and wanes from somewere between unpredictability and complete philosophical truth. when I try and write her I often feel that her off topic comments should sometimes be without much basis, and sometimes be deep and insightful. I have alot of trouble seeing how she would act in a relationship, or even how she would react to romantic advances. What kind of people could be her "type"? I have some ideas, opinions?

Amanda Vega
    Luna is my favorite character in the whole series [:

I think the thing with Luna is that she will speak whatever is on her mind, regardless of whether or not it actually has some value to the conversation. She is, however, both intelligent and wise (two very different things!), which is evident by the fact that she was sorted into Ravenclaw. With her, you have to keep in mind that she will say very random things (like she is gicing a running commentary of her thought processes) but that many of those things are also quite wise. It's hard to find a medium - for me it comes a bit more naturally, but she's hard to write regardless.

Luna in a relationship is hard to imagine! I don't think she would be in a classic romantic relationship - canon example: H/G - but more like a very close friendship that would eventually be a bit more romantic. Any guy for Luna would have to be atleast somewhat open-minded, be able to put up with her xD, aand I suppose that he would also be very smart - I think that Luna would be much more appreciated with someone else who understood her lttle bits of philosophy.

Luna is a very diverse character, however, and there are many 'correct' ways to write her, since she is so malleable.

chasing_willow
    Luna's comments always make perfect sense - to her.

I think she may be the type of person, who hear something, formulate a great structured theory based on what they heard or relating to it, then when they voice their theory's final step, it sounds completely and utterly disconnected and off-topic, because all preceding connections and calculations were done in their head.
    It's just like when you are asked to "show your work" in maths - otherwise no one knows where it all came from.

Her way of thinking sets her apart from other characters (although opinions have been voiced musing that Dumbledore would understand her perfectly) and just people in general - she's even weirder than her father.

how would she act if she had a crush on someone:
    Think her treatment of our ickle Ronnie in OotP (I'm pretty sure she had a crush on him) - laughing longer than the situation warrants, expressing extra interest in her crush's thoughts. All in all, I think she'd be a little awkward.

how she would react to romantic advances:
    I think, for the most part, she'll act similarly to the way she acted when people were friendly with her - positively, with amazement.
    She was never showered with love and approval by peers, thus someone expressing romantic interest in her would be a big change of pace.
    I don't think she'd be so hardened to assume that someone is pulling a mickey rather than actually liking her, because of her reaction to Harry's invitation to Sluggy's Christmas party.

how she would act in a relationship:
    She's a very dedicated and loyal friend and I think same qualities would carry over to relationships as well. Although I could see her being a little distant.

What kind of people could be her "type"?
    Ron, I guess, is the only person we've seen her crush on so far..
    But considering she married Rolf - someone who shares her interests, perhaps?

king_to_pine
    Thanks alot for the help, I often notice that in many fics Luna is left out in places I would expect Jo to put her, and when authors do try to use her she is often slightly OOC. I usually assume that it's because many people don't come as close as they should to understanding her. I've noticed many people admiring her for the wrong reasons thinking she's weird for the sake of weird, but she often makes much more sense than many of the other characters who pretend they aren't lost.

xpadfootsangelx

I think

I think she's an honest person, but a lot of the time, you aren't able to see that because of how smart she is. It's like she hides the truth in a puzzle you have to figure out. If she had a crush on someone, I'm sure she'd be pretty forward about it. I don't think she would go up to the boy and blurt out she feelings like an idiot, but I believe that she would hint at her feelings, not subtely, but confusingly enough that the boy would take a while to understand her.
    I can definatly see how she can be hard to write about, but if you think about how random, though highly intellectual her thoughts are, it should become easier. She's like everyone's personal, quirky, philosopher. She speaks her mind, but is clever enough, and has such odd but wonderful speech, it can never sound rude.

Phoebe Gruzelieur

Luna's brilliant, but she can be confusing!

I'm writing a little fic where Luna falls in love with Harry. Does it seem IC for her to invite him to fish for some fictional magical creature, instead of actually telling him she loves him, or inviting him out on a date?

hermione_granger4life
    I think it would be IC for her to invite him to help her look for the creature. Luna doesn't strike me as the type to just out and tell someone she loved them. She would do it in a much more subtle, unique way, like the fish way.

**Emma

tbsbooboo
    I have always seen Luna and Nevile together. They are both a little strange and awkward and I think that they would get on very well. I think that a relationship wouldn't change Luna at all, she would still be just as random.

WendelinTheWeird
    Sometimes there is a lot of nonsense when there is a problem in a relationship, but Luna would be very blunt and straightforward about the problem.

She would never give the cold shoulder, or talk to someone through someone else, or even write them a note to work things out. She would talk to the person face-to-face and very openly and honestly.

Her relationship could even be a foil to Ron and Hermione's long-time almost-relationship.

thegreylady
    Luna Lovegood is a very difficult character to portray. She's easily one of my favorites in Harry Potter, but she is a complex person.

Luna is not self-conscious in the slightest. She is rather independent in her beliefs and her thoughts. Luna has never cared about people's opinions of her. Nonetheless, she's always been a bit of an outsider. She was ecstatic to have Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville as her friends, as we see in DH in her bedroom. Her nickname, too. 'Loony Luna'. She also has possessions taken from her throughout the course of the year, as we learn in OOTP.

No one can deny that she is not intelligent, though. She might of been a little like Hermione (pre-Ron and Harry friendship), involved in reading and the like, before the DA. Even though she knows about things other wizards and witches doubt are real, she knows a lot. Luna is pretty insightful too. She's also rather curious. That might be a trigger for how she knows so much, do you know what I mean?

Luna isnt afraid to speak her mind. She'll tell you what she thinks, straight-out. She's a pretty pleasant person overall. She's very optimistic and strong-willed, one could say, because she doesn't let anyone sway her opinions on things like Crumped-Horned Snorkacks and Nargles. She's also vert close with her father and happy with him, although she must miss her mother. She still keeps a picture of her and her mother on her bedside table.

Now for your questions.

How would she act in a relationship and how would she react to romance advances?
    I'd think she'd act like it was a friendship, mainly. She wouldn't be the kind of person to know at any lengths to please her boyfriend or be flirtatious and such. She'd be kind of calm about it. She wouldn't worry about romantic advances because she wouldn't go loopy about a relationship.

What would her 'type' be?
    She'd probably like someone intelligent. They'd have to be open-minded to her beliefs and thoughts, for sure. They'd also have to be a good friend to her. Those are just my thoughts though.

Hope I helped!