Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask A Moderator ~ Lucky Number Thirteen

Marauder by Midnight
    James Jameson - Once again, your avatar cannot be larger than around 1,000 KB (administrators, please correct me if I'm wrong). Your avatar's dimensions were shrunk so that the file size will fit within the limit. The smaller the avatar is, the smaller the file will get.

From now on, please PM your avatar problems to me or another mod to take care of privately. Please PM one of us the link to the image you are using.

mispersonality

Still Lost

Hi, again. I did as you said and put the note in the text in big bold letters but still nothing. It disappeared just the same. Do you know of anything else I can do?

Marauder by Midnight
    mispersonality - Please resubmit. I'll take a look at it right away and will email and PM you my response. Sorry for the inconveniences. For future reference, please use more specific terms when you're following up on a question/response. This helps us better understand your situation without having to look back on what the problem was in the first place

bertiebott12
    'Ello modlies!

I was wondering, by your username, you have three dots, a green, red, and yellow one. Teh green means "online", the red means "offline"(unless you're invisible), but what does the yellow mean?

That sounded sort of like a riddle, didn't it?

*Claire*

Snape's Talon
    bertiebott12: This has probably been answered before, but the yellow light indicates you are wearing an invisibility cloak. It is only visible to you, though. If you're viewing the profile of someone else who's invisible, say myownmuggle, it appears as if her red light is on. The only clue is her profile doesn't mention when her last activity was.

Mistletoe
    Hello modies!

If I am writing a Next Gen fic, need I put a Character Death warning if I will be discussing the affects of someone who has already died?

Thanks!
    -Kat

Marauder by Midnight
    Mistletoe - If the effects of the death is the central theme to the story, and it portrays very strong depression and sorrow, you may want to attach the character death warning (and maybe the Mental Disorders as well). However, if it is only mentioned and isn't too central (or if your story is light-hearted despite the death), your warning will not be necessary.

Mistletoe
    *facepalm* I forgot to ask this above. *blushes*

Er, okay, I have another question about story submissions. What break HTML tags do I need to include because my last story got rejected a few times for incorrect breaks, and I still don't know exactly what to do with them?

Double thanks
    -Kat

Marauder by Midnight
    Mistletoe - Ah yes, those incorrigible break tags. If you are copy-pasting your story in the little white box marked, just make sure you separate you paragraphs with one line like

so.

OR

You can edit in those break tags like<p>so.

What you need to watch out for though are those ugly break tag mutants: </ br> Those REALLY mess up your formatting. Too many of those and you get stories that look

this.

Kind of annoying. These mutants show up after you've edited your chapter two or more times. When we catch them in a chapter that is in queue, we have to reject. Sorry!

To get these little buggers out, you can just to through your chapter and delete every little </ br> tag. That takes a LOT of work, and believe it or not, mods used to do that for you when they saw a story in queue with that. Needless to say, that just occupied too much of our time (we're lazy :P). What I do in those situations when I see those </ br> tags begin to spring up is, I go to the document I had saved the chapter as on my hard drive and copy-paste the whole chapter into the white box, effectively wiping out the </ br> tags with a little ctrl+c and ctrl+v.

So rule of thumb: always, always ALWAYS use the preview button. It's not there to make the site look prettier; it really does help. When you see those spaces between paragraphs get larger and larger, you know what to do.

P.S., this explanation (well, a shorter version) is posted in the F.A.Q. at the wayyyy bottom post

thesims
    Hello Mods,

I was wondering how do you change the warnings on fics? I've tried to click on the warning I need to change it too, but when I come back to it, it doesn't show up.