Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Remus Lupin

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    New question about the lovely Lupin.

I'm interested in his mission underground with the werewolves. Given that it appears to have been fruitless, do you think Lupin would ever have argued with Dumbledore about

A) Going in the first place.
    B) Staying there after Christmas when it was clear the mission was proving futile.

I'm wondering if Remus would have defied Dumbledore and told him he was chucking it in.
    We know he felt guilty for never telling Dumbledore about the others being Animagi so do you think he basically felt so guilty about this that he'd do anything Dumbledore asked? Or was it more a question of trust?

Slightly muddled set of questions so I hope they makes sense.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

James Jameson
    Considering how Remus seemed to want to be away from everyone so much, (not much proof, its just how I saw it) I think that he would have stayed there, perhaps in hopes that he would forget about some human life?

I've probably got the wrong idea... please tell me if I'm not clear...

TINE

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Dumbledore send Remus there as a spy. And with missions like these, I doubt the result are ever as simple as success or failure. Remus tried earning the werewolves' trust, yet it was hard.

Remus is a pretty realistic person. I think he'd not be the kind to assume that he alone could make a lot of difference to something. So, even though he sounded bitter about the success he was having with mission, he'd continue doing it in the hope that it might reap something. I think he wouldn't tell Dumbledore he was chucking it in. It'd probably be just work to him, however nasty the nature.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jameson
    I think that he would have stayed there, perhaps in hopes that he would forget about some human life?
    Not, I think. Remus often has the idea that he is worthless, but his bitterness when relaying the events to Harry may indicate the difficulty associated with changing the minds of the outcasts he was living with.

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Okay, thanks for the responses so far. Let's put this a different way.

In the fic Remus will accept the mission - basically he wants to feel useful and realises that being a werewolf spy is not only necessary but he is the only one that can do it.

However, there's going to come a point when it becomes unbearable in terms of the toll it takes on his sanity and self control. At this point do you think he'd run away back to the wizarding world, or would he stay and risk sanity because Dumbledore's told him to stay there?

I really want to know whether you think he'd ever defy Dumbledore or at least argue with him about the mission? Would he even attempt to argue with Dumbledore?

A question connected to this, would Dumbledore accept his reasons for leaving? (and they are good reasons and not just connected to his own safety)

Carole
    xxx

Banner by minnabird

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    However, there's going to come a point when it becomes unbearable in terms of the toll it takes on his sanity and self control. At this point do you think he'd run away back to the wizarding world, or would he stay and risk sanity because Dumbledore's told him to stay there?
    We've seen in DH that when the going gets tough, Remus has been known to bail. He eventually does the right thing (with some prodding by his friends), but yes, I think he might reach a point where he can't take it anymore, and he runs away.

I really want to know whether you think he'd ever defy Dumbledore or at least argue with him about the mission? Would he even attempt to argue with Dumbledore?
    We've also seen that Remus isn't as mindlessly obedient to Dumbledore as some other folks (*cough* Harry *cough*). He kept secret the whole Animagus thing, was a part of the Marauders (who were very often doing things Dumbledore wouldn't approve of), and in PoA, he was prepared to take justice into his own hands, rather than turning Sirius (and then Peter) over to Dumbledore. So I think he might argue with Dumbledore, yes.

A question connected to this, would Dumbledore accept his reasons for leaving? (and they are good reasons and not just connected to his own safety)
    I don't think Dumbledore would condemn Remus for being unwilling to throw away his own life and sanity. If Remus had reached his limit, Dumbledore would probably accept it. But if other people are now at risk because Remus has run away, I think he'd be disappointed, and he would let Remus know that.

twilightHPgirl18
    I have a question (knowing me, you should have seen this coming; I always have questions about the Marauders.): Why do many MWPP-era fanfic writers have Remus as almost addicted to chocolate? I mean, they could have it be something with "that time of the month" for him, but it's still not very realistic. That's almost like saying Peter is nearly addicted to cheese because he's a rat Animagus, and that makes little to no sense even with the Animagus reasoning. Is there something from canon or the lexicon that gives us more insight to Remus chocoholism, or is it just fanon?

{BeccA}

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Isn't the chocolate thing because of PoA when Remus gives Harry chocolate on the train after the Dementors attack him? It's one of the big cliches, though, I think. I don't read much Marauder Era, but that's always the impression I got. -hugs-

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    It's complete fanon - based on two things.

1) Remus hands out chocolate to Harry. The fact that it's a remedy against Dementor attacks and Madam Pomfrey compliments him on this seems to escape people and they think it's funny.

2) Remus has a 'time of the month' therefore he must be like a woman and crave chocolate at that time.

It's moderately amusing the first few times, but it is a cliche - and not even one with any canon basis. You could argue that Madam Pomfrey gave Remus chocolate after each transformation because it is supposed to have a curative effect but that would probably make him hate chocolate, in my opinion.

In fact Scabbers, according to Ron, was very fond of Fudge Flies so perhaps Peter is the one with the sweet tooth.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by minnabird

twilightHPgirl18
    Thanks, Carole and Spire! I also had another question: Do we know from canon that Remus was a prefect? Or was that an idea we get from Remus's rule-abiding behavior?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    He's definately a Prefect.

Sirius tells Harry that Remus got the badge. (OOTP)
    And Remus tells him that Dumbledore gave him the badge because he was supposed to keep his friends in order.

It doesn't necessarily mean he was law-abiding like Percy. He did run round the grounds of H/W once a month with three unregistered Animagi. It just means he was either the most responsible Dumbledore could find, or that he never got caught.

carole

Banner by minnabird