Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remus Lupin

padfootsgirl1981

Remus Lupin

Does anyone have any thoughts on what Remus' patronus would be? What would make him feel protected and safe?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

bertiebott12
    Hello!

Remus Lupin has many emotions and feelings displayed across the book. But, he is most known for being a werewolf. Ask anyone who hasn't read the books about him. "Oh, yeah, is that the werewolf?" is a commn answer. But, he obviously hates "that time of the month", so what would protect him, or make him feel safe while he is a werewolf?

I think that there are several answers to this. He valued friendship, in PoA, talking to Pettigrew. Didn't his friends make him feel safe? Wasn't that the point of their Animagus figure? His friends were what was protecting him on those hard nights in the Shack. So, could is Patronus be something like one pf their Animaguses?

I doubt that he would favor Pettigrew as much as to feel protected by him, so that rules out him. What about James, a stag? Well, each person's patronus is special, and unique. The problem is that Harry has the same Patronus, then. I believe that that rules out James.

Sirius, I think, is a good bet. Yes, he might have had the same Patronus as his Animagus form, but it was for different reasons. If Harry and Remus had the same one, it would virtually be for the same reason, wouldn't it? Sirius was always very close to him, and a dog would be reasonable for his Patronus. But, as to not copy it directly, you could have any variation of a dog, as long as the reader can still tell where you are getting at.

I hope I helped!

*Claire*

padfootsgirl1981
    Hi! Thanks for replying! I, too, was thinking along the lines of him feeling protected by his fellow Marauders as they were the first people to really accept him. Though I'm afraid that I'm disinclined to go with his Patronus being like one of their Animagus forms. So instead I went searching for animal symbolism and I came up with a badger: mischief, playful, wisdom and caring. Does this not encompass all of the attributes of him and his fellow Marauders? Also I know that it is not the symbolism of an animal that matters but what the animal represents to that person, but if you think about it, badgers are nocturnal and nearly all of the Marauders' adventures would have taken place during the full moons. Also a badger is the symbol of Hufflepuff house, one of the houses of Hogwarts, Hogwarts being the place where Remus was taken in, both in his youth and in his adult life. Lastly, I think that a badger is rather a simple creature and I don't see Remus wanting something overly outrageous as a Patronus.

Anyway, please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Hi,

Well, here's my take:

Will the Patronus be some animal big in size?

Remus is a modest, down-to-earth kind of person, who in a general situation would not like anything showy, big, or ‘overly outrageous’ . But I consider the fact the he was bitten when he was ‘very small’ a foundation for my views. See it from the POV of an innocent child. Whom does he think will protect him apart from his parents? An animal that is big and at the same time kind?

I think Remus’ Patronus would be very much determined by the ‘child’ within him. This is because it is being bitten that changed Remus’ whole life; his perspectives and I’d say nature and character to an extent too.

The nature of animal

The werewolf inside Remus is a very savage animal. If you still follow me on the ‘child-determines’ factor, then we can also assume for good measure, that the animal would first symbolize innocence, protection and goodness.

A have read a couple views of his Patronus being the Unicorn, but I think even for a child Remus this would be very girly, knowing how sometimes young boys try to behave as mature ones. However, counter-arguing my own views, I also think that it is possible that the soft and gentle person in Remus would want an animal such as a Unicorn to protect them. Therefore, this option is as likely as others.

Claire’s view is also possible to an extent that it could be Sirius’ dog or a variation of it, at least. However, for the sake of a variety, lets continue the debate, shall we?

Kirsty you say:

Also I know that it is not the symbolism of an animal that matters but what the animal represents to that person…’
    True.

But Remy is the person who underestimates his own talents and strengths. He ignores what he needs and instead considers himself worthless of affection. My memory doesn’t allow me to give you an actual example of this, but I’m sure if Remus is appreciated for anything, he will be grateful but will modestly shrug it off. Perhaps, because not many people have appreciated him in his life?

Didnt get my point, did you? Well, me neither.

Despite this I think the ‘symbolism of an animal’ will matter to an extent. And this symbolism would actually be everything Remus is, unique and special, how much he may try to ignore it.

Therefore possible Patronuses:

If you agree with me on my last view, that his Patronus would be an animal mirroring his own personality, or rather the non-werewolf Remus that we know, then I would say, his could be a Fox. A little help from a reference site, gives the Fox Patronus, the following characteristics and strengths: Shapeshifting, Cleverness, Observational Skills, Cunning, Stealth, Camouflage, Feminine Courage, Invisibility, Ability to Observe Unseen, Persistence, Gentleness, Swiftness, Diplomacy, Wildness, Adaptation, Slyness, Wisdom, Protection, Provider, Intelligence

Words such as wisdom, gentleness, and observational skill are just too familiar with regard to his personality. He is also an evident representation of cleverness and being the provider, I think, much more during his time with the Marauders then anytime else (pranks etc). And Remus definitely is a diplomat; remember that infamous accident by the lake?

Or a Bear perhaps, symbolizing: Introspection, Healing, Solitude, Change, Communication with Spirit, Death and Rebirth, Transformation, Astral Travel, Creature of Dreams, Visionaries, Defense and Revenge, Wisdom, Thoughtfulness, Need for Retreat, Rest, Natural Strength, Intuitions Married with Instinct, Introspection, Mother, Cunning, Healer, Dreaming, Direction.

Incase, you’d like to go with a flying animal, you could use a hawk too. The following are the characteristics symbolized by a Hawk: Clear-Sightedness, Being Observant, Far-Memory, Guardianship, Recalling Past Lives, Courage, Wisdom, Illumination, Seeing the Larger Picture, Creativity, Truth, Experience, Wise Use of Opportunities, Overcoming Problems, Nobility, Recollection.

Hope these references helped you. I’m very much glad someone started this thread, because I've questions too

-Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Mistletoe
    This is kind of a weird question, but do you think Remus is the type to drink? I've just written it into one of my fics, and I feel funny about it. So, what do you think?

xpadfootsangelx

I'm

I'm sure he'd have something to drink now and then. Maybe it might take some persuation, but sure. I don't think he would drink exsessively though. Just here and there.

king_to_pine
    I've been wondering. My OC; Tom, is Sirius's son. With Sirius being dead, I was trying to decide how Remus would treat Tom, would he go as far as to adopt him? (this is at the end of the summer after OotP)

This is kind of a weird question, but do you think Remus is the type to drink? I've just written it into one of my fics, and I feel funny about it. So, what do you think?
    I could almost see him drinking during the hard times of his life, like after dropping his dada job or after he left Tonks. As well as drinking recreationally, though only on ocassion.

P.S. im not sure if wizard drinks are even the same or similar as their muggle counterparts...

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

a question and an answer...

Aloha,

We see towards the end of HBP that Tonks sported her bubble-gum pink hair at Dumbledore’s funeral. I expect the reader’s eyes to have lingered upon phrases such as ‘glared at Remus’ and ‘seized the front of his robes’. My question is how do we expect Remus to have behaved during the period of Mr Weasley’s comment and the couple’s arrival at the funeral.

Was he the one who initiated the conversation perhaps in some secluded and more private place in the castle? What about his gestures, speech and feelings during that time? Will he kiss her first or will Tonks be the one to fling her arms around his neck?

Then according to the timeline, Remus and Tonks marry within two months. Later in the novel, Remus admits to Harry that he made a grave mistake in marrying her. Also, during the course of Harry’s birthday, the Weasley marriage and so on, he seems to have this grimace and worried expression on this face.

How did he marry her in the first place???

I know Remus is a person who’d always weigh the consequences of his actions. But it just seems so weird that he won’t be seen smiling at any of the events in DH, except for Teddy’s birth, I guess. My question is: what justifies how Remus behaves? And what do you think he’s like behind those scenes in DH? At home, at nights, with Tonks etc?

Help will be appreciated.

Neville: I'm absolutely sure that if Sirius had a son, and his death was accidental, then Remus would adopt his son. Like Liisa says: Marauders in life, Marauders in death (or something like that, anyways ). Sirius has always been considered to be a little protective towards Remus, more in fanfiction though, because there is no canon evidence for this.

But I'd say like Sirius always was about Harry, Remus would certainly act the way with Sirius' son as well.

Whats the name of your fanfic anyways? I'd love to read it.

Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

The Marauding Cupcake
    Then according to the timeline, Remus and Tonks marry within two months. Later in the novel, Remus admits to Harry that he made a grave mistake in marrying her. Also, during the course of Harry’s birthday, the Weasley marriage and so on, he seems to have this grimace and worried expression on this face.

How did he marry her in the first place?
    I've wondered that my self and actually wrote a one shot in regards to it. I'm waiting to see if it validates . My take was that Tonks finally shakes some sense into him and Remus has a moment of "what the hell, life's too short". In that time when they get together again, Tonks gets pregnant and that is why he marries her and then has doubts. It took care of my questions: why was the wedding (R/T) quick and quiet, why did Voldemort ask about Draco babysitting the "pups", why Tonks was glowing and Remus was miserable at Bill and Fleur's wedding?

I've been wondering. My OC; Tom, is Sirius's son. With Sirius being dead, I was trying to decide how Remus would treat Tom, would he go as far as to adopt him? (this is at the end of the summer after OotP)
    Actually, I disagree, Akay. If it's after OOTP, then I would have to say no. I can't see him turning away love with Tonks because of the reasons he stated at the end of HBP, but be willing to subject a child to them. Also, Remus was the last of the Marauders, or so he thought, and he never sought Harry out. He hadn't met him until Harry's 3rd year at Hogwarts! Also, we could take into consideration the anti-werewolf legislation that Umbridge was heading up at the Ministry. I doubt there would be much room in the law for a know and registered werewolf to adopt a child.

~Michelle

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Quote Originally Posted by The Marauding Cupcake
    Actually, I disagree, Akay. If it's after OOTP, then I would have to say no. I can't see him turning away love with Tonks because of the reasons he stated at the end of HBP, but be willing to subject a child to them. Also, Remus was the last of the Marauders, or so he thought, and he never sought Harry out. He hadn't met him until Harry's 3rd year at Hogwarts! Also, we could take into consideration the anti-werewolf legislation that Umbridge was heading up at the Ministry. I doubt there would be much room in the law for a know and registered werewolf to adopt a child.
    I would argue. Harry's case is special. After all, he was so protected, I don't think Remus could just show up "Hey, I was your dad's bedt friend!" Plus, he would have to mention the story of the Marauders, and that would have been complicated.
    -Alice