Thread: wizarding jobs.

Hybrid View

kritchen

wizarding jobs.

I'm working on an Andromeda/Tonks fanfic and it's getting close to when they've got to decide what jobs they're going to take. I've looked all over and I can't find anything other than what I already know. There are teaching jobs at Hogwarts and there are the ministry jobs such as Aurors. What other jobs are there as I really don't see Ted working in the ministry or teaching? Though, if all else fails, he wouldn't be a half bad teacher.

EDIT: Wow, thanks everyone - that definitely did help me a lot. Even with Andromeda's job of preference (because we all know she wont have her family's money to fall back on like James does).

Moderator's Edit: I have merged your posts so you can thank people without having to use another post. Please do this in future.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

I could probably see Ted working in a shop in Diagon Alley, as a clerk maybe? He seems pretty cheerful, and a people person, so that might be a good job for him. This is just an idea!
    Kate
    IB + Senior Year = Hiatus...again
    Kate...iPoem!...iWrite!...iBanner!...Dumbledore's Navy!
    Avvie and banner by me! Please request!

kritchen
    Yeah, I was thinking about making him some shop owner or something like that. He doesn't seem to be fit for anything else. Or maybe a Healer? I could see him working with patients. What kind of shop do you see him in best?

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I've always thought that wizards must have similar jobs to those in the Muggle world. In HP, we're only exposed to a few, like those in the Ministry, teachers, and shopowners. But for the entire Wizarding World to function correctly, it needs to be a whole community.

There are all sorts of jobs in the Muggle World that can translate into a similar job for wizards. Photographers, clothes designers, marketing advertisers, secrataries, police (besides Aurors), scientists, journalists, etc. I'm not saying that Ted Tonks is any of these. I'm just trying to broaden your mind beyond looking to the Ministry and Hogwarts for careers.

Think about his personality and what he likes. Then, think about a [Muggle] job he would do well in, but tweak it so that it's a little more "magical." For example, if you choose scientist, just make him experiment with potions rather than chemicals, like a Muggle scientist. Of course, give it a new title!

I would try and decide what kind of career he would choose based on the kind of person he is, but I don't know what to suggest because I don't know what he's like in your fic.

~Kristen

red haired mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoul in Pajamas
    There are all sorts of jobs in the Muggle World that can translate into a similar job for wizards. Photographers, clothes designers, marketing advertisers, secrataries, police (besides Aurors), scientists, journalists, etc. I'm not saying that Ted Tonks is any of these. I'm just trying to broaden your mind beyond looking to the Ministry and Hogwarts for careers.
    There are also jobs for Gringotts, and I'm sure some type of creature taming, or handling. Aside from Hagrid's gamekeeping abilities. Bill worked for the bank and so did Fleur. Charlie worked on a Dragon Preserve.

There could also be Quidditch related jobs, such as Arena workers, food vendors, etc.

Without knowing exactly what you have in mind for him, it's hard to give you a specific job and say, "This is it." But I hope these ideas help you.

~Wendy

cmwinters
    *sigh*

Posts like this make me sad, because some time ago we had an absolutely incredible post about occupations in the wizarding world . . . and it appears to have been deleted.

The Lexicon has a page which isn't nearly as comprehensive; it's here: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizworld/occupations.html

In addition to what's been said here and what's listed there, there are the referees for Quidditch, the varying Ministry departments (http://www.hp-lexicon.org/ministry/ministry-depts.html), apothecarist, author (as in books), writer (as in news), photographer for the Daily Prophet and Quibbler, the people who work for the Wizarding Wireless, the people who work for the Floo, potions brewer, the people who grow and prepare wizarding food & drinks (Ogden's Firewhiskey, anyone?), staff at varying shops and restaurants and many, many others.

And let's not forget Molly's accountant cousin. Surely there are wizarding barristers and solicitors, as well.

I really wish that post hadn't been deleted. Someone (who was not me) put a rather extensive list that was several thousand words.

chasing_willow
    Wizarding jobs...

Well, you can always refer to the part of OotP where McGonagall helps every student contemplate their career choices - there were quite a few good ones there.
    Ted indeed seems rather likeable and gregarious, but we also have to keep in mind that he could potentially be a little lackadaisical about his duties - remember when Tonks said he was a "right slob"? Add youthful carelessness to the mix and you might have some problems.
    I could indeed see him working at a shop and/or doing odd jobs somewhere, I don't know if he'd do well as a Ministry clerk, but then again, we mustn't assume messy people to be unreliable workers.

I'm inclined to think he'd work at a shop - where Andromeda would be likely to see him.
    Which rules out my first guess - Quality Quidditch Supplies.
    But we also have to keep in mind that he wouldn't have particularly good connections (unless we take the liberty to assume that he was well-liked to an even greater degree) - he was a Muggle-born and while you could be a Muggle-born with great connections (I'm pretty sure Lily could have all the benefits of ol' Sluggy's networking if she asked), but Ted wasn't a brilliant and gorgeous female, nor did he live in an era when Muggle-borns were a lot more wide-spread and enjoyed an improved social status.
    That rules out many covetable positions and jobs in businesses held by wizarding clans, as they would try to keep them in the family.

hope that helps =)