Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellatrix Lestrange

Hybrid View

Mistletoe

Bellatrix Lestrange

Bellatrix is the ultimate Pureblood: haughty, sadistic, power-hungry, and narrow minded. She's a complex character that plays that main role of being Voldemort's right-hand woman.
    Here's a few question's about her:

Do you think she finds joy in torturing/killing others?
    Do you think she's in love with Voldemort, or is it just the power?
    Would she give her life for Voldemort, or is it more important?
    Does she really love Rodolphus?
    How deep do you think her feelings run?

These are just a few starters, I'm writing a fic centered around Bellatrix, and I need to know anything and everything about her!

xpadfootsangelx

qs

Do you think she finds joy in torturing/killing others?-Yes, I would say so. I think, though, that she enjoys the torturing much more, just because her mind is so twisted that way. As I've always said-Crucio, becasue Bella likes playing with her food.

Do you think she's in love with Voldemort, or is it just the power?-I sense a love/lust relataionship there. I know she is infatuated with him. That much is obvious. The way she says his name even is quite passionate for her to be JUST a follower.

Would she give her life for Voldemort, or is it more important?-That's a tough one. I'd say so, I think. She went to Azkaban for his cause, and in my opinion, that's a pretty good equivelant to death. I think if you asked her, she'd say yes, but her decision might be hard when it got down to it.

Does she really love Rodolphus?-No. I really do not think so at all. I strongly belive that was an arranged marriage for blood reasons. Or some type of complex inbreeding type thing. They might've been...fond of eachother. Maybe.

How deep do you think her feelings run?-For Rodolphus. Well...*pokes above*. Really though, I sense no love. She wouldmuch rather have Voldemort, although he clearly doesn't want her back. He appreciates the loyalty, but love of any kind does not, and never will, apply to him in anyway. I think the fact he was conveived undera love potion had a little somethig to do with that....

wewillmissyou
    Oh, hell yes. Bella is a first class sadist. She loves to torture and she is enjoys killing. Every shred of evidence J.K. Rowling has given us points to the fact that she is incredibly skilled but terrible. Using the torture curse is like some sort of high for her.

I think she was orginally attracted to him because of his power. But I think she fell in love with him because he is as awful as she is (and then some). In science, opposites attract. But in this case Bella loves Voldy because he is everything she is but more terrible. So to answer your question; I think she was in love with Voldemort.

I personally think she would. She went to Askaban for him and lived her life on his word. Not out of fear like most of his followers did, but out of adoration. I feel that because she loved him so much she would die for him.

As a lover, no. As a friend, brother, fellow Death Eater, yes. I would say she loved him but with not any where near as much passion or intensity as she loved Voldemort. I would say her love for him is like her love for Narcissa. And maybe she doesn't even love as much as she loves Cissy.

I think in earlier days she was very complex. But as she got older her life slipped into simplicity and the only reason she existed was to torture and kill.

Mistletoe
    Personally, I think Bellatrix is one of the most complex characters that we don't get to see too often. She loves to taunt and torture. She is the true definition of a Pureblood. She put the hemoglobin running through veins over her own cousin's life, for goodness sakes! I think that her true feelings are in the power, the animosity, that one gets from being on top.

As for my question about being in love with Voldemort vs. Power vs. Rodolphus (sp?), I think it's Voldemort above power. She has gotten mad at other Death Eaters for deserting him in his weak moments, when she was the only one that stayed with him. She is one of the true supporters that worships Lord Voldemort; the type of supporter he wants, someone that, I think, would give his or her life for him. She is devoted completely to him, even if the idea of complete power is backing her devotion.

When I asked how deep her feeling ran, I meant what is she capable of feeling? Does she actually feel love? Is she as lifeless and inhuman as Voldemort, or is she just another woman?

I think that she has lost her emotions, her feelings, herself. She gave herself to Voldemort for power, and in turn she lost everything, except her joy for killing, which is undoubtedly something he taught her. I think the reason she relishes so much in the deaths of others is that she can't even feel the effect of taking another person's life, or shoting fire through his or her veins because all of her feelings are gone.

cmwinters
    Oddly, we've been discussing Bellatrix Lestrange in Dark Arts class . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe
    Yep. In her own words, "you have to *want* to cause pain, you have to really mean it" (referring the Unforgiveables Harry tried to cast at her in the Ministry in Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, no, she's in love with him, according to Jo in the Bloomsbury chat earlier this year.

Isabel: Did Bellatrix ever love her husband, or did she have love only for Voldemort?

J.K. Rowling: She took a pureblood husband, because that was what was expected of her, but her true love was always Voldemort.

Yep. Again, in her own words, this time in Half-Blood Prince, where she tells Narcissa that if she (Bellatrix) had had sons, she'd be happy to forfeit them to the Dark Lord. Further, in that same chapter, she talks about how she suffered for the Dark Lord.

Nope. See above.

. . . which feelings? Her feelings of rage, hatred against Muggleborns, pride in her pureblood status? Very deep. Love for the Dark Lord? Very deep. However, she hasn't an ounce of compassion, humility, kindness, temperance or shame in her body, I don't think. She's definitely got a deep-seated personality disorder of some sort; I thought she was the classic sociopath, but I've been shot down by those more educated on such things. She's *clearly* clinically sadistic, though.

CakeorDeath
    Yes, definatly. She is the eponamous sadist.

I think she is more in lust with him and craves his power.

She valued him before his own nephew, so she would give her own life definatly

I don't think so, he could never match up to Voldemorts power.

Who can say? I think that she gets a sexual kick when she administers pain and craves power. Maybe she lacked it as a child?

LunarEclipse

Of course. I think she's a very low, and has nothing else to live for anymore. Their pain gives her strength.

I think it was a mixture of lust and love. I think she saw what she wanted to be, and she began to crave his affection.

Yes, even if she didn't love him, they have a master/servant relationship, and she would protect her lord no matter what the sacrafice would be for her. But as she suffered for him, the depth of herself began to crack. Now, she loves him with all her being, but that's not much.

By the time she met him, no, she couldn't. She was solely for Voldemort, no matter what.

As I said, the depth to her has vanished, so she has the emotional range of a 6 year old. She can't really, truly love them.

Mistletoe
    Yes, yes, this is all very true, but the same. What drives her? Why is she the way she is? What is her motivation? What makes her tick?

cmwinters
    Yes, yes, this is all very true, but the same. What drives her? Why is she the way she is? What is her motivation? What makes her tick?
    Um, I strongly recommend familiarising yourself with the DSM-IV's definition of sadism, and personality disorders in general, specifically anti-social personality disorder and sociopathy. Because assuming she IS one or more of those things, that's what drives her (that, and her fanatical xenophobia).

(Or, you know, take the Dark Arts class next term; I'm not entirely sure how much of that I can post here)

R_Ravenclaw
    Basically, Voldemort. But that's simplifying it.

I firmly believe that she was deeply in love with Voldemort, and if it weren't for his creepy lack of feelings thing, anyone would have to admit they're perfect for each other.

Think of it, though. When Voldy got hit with the rebounding AK that night he tried to kill Harry, she (very shortly thereafter) tortured the Longbottoms just for him. She wasn't just in love with him, she was obsessed. What did Slughorn say? "Never underestimate the power of obsessive love" (or something like that). She might have loved torture, (I'm getting to that point in a moment…) but Voldemort gave her that last little push and just made her out-and-out evil. In short, Voldy was her only power and her only weakness. Yes, at the same time. Her power because he pushed her that little bit farther into total evil, making her conscienceless and an ultimately perfect follower. But he also made her have less ambition. She wouldn't have wanted anything but to be the perfect follower. Because, honestly, she was really evil, and could easily have gotten her own band of followers if it weren't for the fact she would never have betrayed Voldemort. Weakness and strength. The whole Bella/Voldy situation is so complex. I love it.

But she just loved to torture, too, no doubt about it. I think she started out with a rather great joy of torturing. That's one of the few ways she and Voldemort differ. He doesn't see that there's anything worse than death, so he just kills with an AK, but I think Bella is more wise in that she knows there is something worse than death—she knows that being tortured is infinitely worse than just suddenly being killed. She likes to kill and torture and knows what she's doing.

But, really, nearly everything can be brought back to Voldemort. But not quite everything. I mean, she had to have been evil when she joined him, so he can't shoulder all the blame for her utter evilness/insanity.