Thread: Seeing yourself as you once were

Laurskii

Seeing yourself as you once were

DH DISREGARDED

So, as I was rushing through one of my WIP's, I found myself stuck on a certain point. One of my characters is going back in time to help his former self fulfill a prophecy. It happened to him, when he was 17, so he knows that it is supposed to happen--like how Hermione knew to throw the rocks through Hagrid's window, or Harry knew to save himself from Dementors in POA. What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how each character would react to the other, when the younger self doesn't yet know that he's meant to return, and the older self is both disappointed by the person he used to be, and trying to keep a close eye on the kids, but not reveal himself. So what I'm looking for from you guys is how you think you'd react to meeting yourself, if you didn't know it was you, just 35-40 years older. And, while I don't want to reveal the character I'm talking about, you're welcome to speculate how certain characters might change (in Fanon) over 35-40 years.

Is that clear? I can't tell...
    Thank you all in advance!
    (: Laur

wewillmissyou
    Well, before I say anything, would this be better in Skele-Gro Plot Potion? But, I'm also relativley new here so I'm probably wrong.

Anyways, well if I were to react to seeing myself in the future (and not knowing that it was me) I would probably think that I looked familiar. And if this was a random stranger on the street, I probably would be more prone to letting them near me, but if they were there constantly keeping an eye on me I may call the cops. And if it was the older me reacting to the younger me, I may make faces at mistakes I watch myself make and mouth important words I once said (espically if they were words that impacted my life). If I were older me I'd also be slightly fascinated and compare mannerisms that I did then to things I do now. If it were also a new fashion era, or even if it wasn't, I would probably cringe at the things I was wearing.

I have a few questions (I'll come back and edit with answers) for if I was younger me looking at older me.

Would I look drastically diffrent? I know I would age, but would I have mysterious scars?

Would I have a good job? Or be a bum?

How exactly would new me and old me meet? Is there a defined relationship like teacher/student or is it an 'I just passed you on the street' type of thing?

Well, I hope I helped!

Laurskii
    Would I look drastically diffrent? I know I would age, but would I have mysterious scars? Actually, your hair color has been dyed, and has glimmers of grey running through them. You're also more stocky than you once were, with rough hands and a grizzled, yet well-kept beard *you're a male, btw*. As for scars, you've got a teeny-tiny, sometimes barely noticeable limp, and a facial scar that runs down the right side of your face, hence the beard.

Would I have a good job? Or be a bum?
    You're somewhat mysterious to this younger character, who knows that you've been vouched for, but is surprised that somehow he's never heard of you before. You were, in fact, a soldier in the Final War, and with that recognition and the friends you made and betrayed, you became an Auror.

How exactly would new me and old me meet? Is there a defined relationship like teacher/student or is it an 'I just passed you on the street' type of thing? Actually, the first meeting is under less than desireable circumstances--the older you disarms you and levitates you (as payback for what happened when the older you was younger...*so confusing!)

But then the relationship is defined by both the adults around your younger self, and the fact that you are your own DADA professor and DA supervisor.

Does that help at all?

What I've got so far, is that the young character would be really suspicious and perhaps even haughty towards the new guy, until a slap in the face moment makes him start to trust in him. Then there's betrayal, anger, danger, the saving of a life, the truth, and, finally...

...or something like that.

The older guy keeps remembering what he was thinking at any given moment. So when younger character throws punches, the older guy knows how the younger one moves, etc. and dodges them easily, whereas later on, another character gets mad with the older character, and the older character gets hit left and right.

Capische?
    Grazie molto!

LunarEclipse
    Personally, I would be freaked out.

First, I would wonder why a freaky old dude was following me.(can I see him?) Then, I would try to get him to tell me how it was in the future. Finally, I would ask what I need to do for this prophecy thingy-mahgig.

Laurskii
    Well, see, the younger version of the character doesn't know that the older version is him. This guy is in disguise. But what I want to do is put in clues that help the reader to realise that something is up with this new DADA prof, so if Young'in finds the guy strange, or Oldie starts behaving like he knows what the Young'in is thinking before he thinks it, readers might start to realise that. So what I'm asking from you guys is how you think you would act if you were talking/interacting with yourself, just 35-40 yrs older.

Get it??