Thread: Mundungus Fletcher

PadfootnPeeves

Mundungus Fletcher

Hello loves! I'm writing a fic that may or may not include dear ol' Dung (it depends on these questions I have)

Does anyone know how old he is? Is he closer to the Marauders' age or maybe Tonks'?

What House do you think he most likely was in? Hufflepuff, perhaps? Or maybe Slytherin 'cause he was a bit of a sneak? (No offense to you lovely Slytherins out there)... or Ravenclaw? Gryffindor (yeah right)?

Would he have a friend or two, or just go off alone and cause ruckus by his greedy self?

Would any of the teachers like him? What about the students?

That's all, dears. If you could find an answer to any of these I'd be extremly grateful!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by PadfootnPeeves
    Does anyone know how old he is? Is he closer to the Marauders' age or maybe Tonks'?
    I think he's probably older than MWPP, personally. No real reason for that, just a gut feeling. More like Moody's age. Tonks would be between MWPP and the trio.

What House do you think he most likely was in? Hufflepuff, perhaps? Or maybe Slytherin 'cause he was a bit of a sneak? (No offense to you lovely Slytherins out there)... or Ravenclaw? Gryffindor (yeah right)?
    Judging by the fact that he was willing to steal from Harry Potter to make a profit, I'd go with Slytherin that "use any means to achieve their ends" bit, and all that, but that's assuming he went to Hogwarts in the first place (see below).

Would he have a friend or two, or just go off alone and cause ruckus by his greedy self?
    This probably depends upon how he behaved in school. If he was klepping things all the time, probably not so much with the friends. And we know Aberforth doesn't like him.

I don't think he was well-liked as a student. And for that matter, he doesn't seem to be particularly talented at magic. His disguise in the Hog's Head was that he dressed like a woman, not that he Transfigured himself or took Polyjuice. Maybe he's a Squib?

Mistletoe
    He was part of the 'old crowd', so he isn't Tonks' age. And he still has ginger colored hair, so I would say he is probably a bit older than the Marauders. I always pictured him with a saggy face and whatnot...

I would definitely say Slytherin for aforementioned reasons.

I think he would typically be friends with whoever came along. Spend time in pubs, jumping from place to place, maybe sometimes hanging with a general crowd. He kind of strokes me as the type who is friends with those who can help him most, kind of like Peter a bit...?

I could see him being quiet in class, not too smart, just kind of getting along. As for his reputation at school, I could see it being as a sneak and a liar, so that means the students probably didn't pay much heed to anything he did.

Hope I helped some :]
    --Kat

MistressOfTime
    I think Dung is a bit older. I always imagined him being a Moody-ish age. (Minus the scars, of course.) Though considering the different stresses he's constantly under, his hair is still its ginger shade. It might be safe to say that he's middle-aged. (In the Muggle sense.)

Most likely Slytherin. But was he always a crook? Did something happen that forced him to turn into a selfless person? (Ohh! I smell plot bunny.)

Crooks have no friends - they don't know whom they can and can't trust.

Again, he might've been a completely different person than he was at school. I'm sure he had some sort of friends, and if he was any good at magic he would've been liked by the teachers.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

cirelondiel
    I think a bit older than the Marauders sounds reasonable, as everyone else has said.

The quote that cmwinters gave pretty much sums up why Dung should be a Slytherin, I think. He looks after himself first and foremost, and he's pretty sneaky. But I definitely don't think that he'd be a Puff: the primary Hufflepuff characteristic, after all, is loyalty. And they're also hardworking. Neither of which really apply to Mundungus, I feel. His actions during the rescue of Harry at the beginning of DH and the fact that he stole from Harry show that he's not the most loyal guy around, and he gets what he wants by trickery rather than earning it fairly. Those two thing suggest to me that he's Slytherin, and certainly not a Puff.

Would he have a friend or two, or just go off alone and cause ruckus by his greedy self? Would any of the teachers like him? What about the students?
    I don't see him forming real, honest relationships. He'd have 'contacts' - like the guy who he stole the toads off and then sold them back to him His so-called friends would be people he could take advantage of - either people he could dupe or people who could do things for him. Amongst his fellow students at school, I think he'd be considered 'odd', probably not trusted much, and not given much attention - and he's not the type to try and get attention, either. As cmwinters said, he doesn't seem to be the most talented wizard, so he'd probably try to keep a low profile - which would be handy considering his dishonest nature, too. As for the teachers... let's see, who would've been there at that time: McGonagall (she wouldn't think very highly of him), Slughorn (Dung's not at all the type of student that Sluggy favours), probably Flitwick and Sprout (might feel a bit of sympathy towards him, but he'd hardly be their favourite student).

Just a few ideas. Hope I helped!
    -- Chelsea

chasing_willow
    I'd estimate him to be forty-five to forty-eight when we meet him in OotP, so he's probably older than the Marauders.

What House do you think he most likely was in?
    Slytherin. I'm almost certain.

He might have drinking buddies or other wizards who considered him of use like Sirius did.
    Yes, I do believe he had cronies.
    He was certainly connected and informed (likely ever since his youngest years), because that was his primary function in the Order - knowing what the crooks are up to.

Teachers? I doubt it.
    Sluggy is a classic Slytherin in his respect for power - existing or potential.
    Flitwick could probably tell that something was off about him - when we meet Mundungus, he is a crook from head to toe. Those transformations don't happen overnight.
    Sprout admires hard work and a good mind, Dung doesn't strike me as hard-working.
    MacGonagall values integrity, which Mundungus is shown to lack.
    I think students considered him useful - at times. In his school days, he might have been the purveyor of things you weren't supposed to have. He'd be the one selling Hogsmeade items to first-years and stealing other paraphernalia for the older students.

I disagree with cmwinters entirely - he could not have been a Squib - we've seen him Apparate and Disapparate on numerous occasions.

Third Year Gryffindor
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    Age? - I agree that he is probably older than MWPP and younger than Moody - around Molly/Arthur? I do not think we actually know, though.

House: - I differ here. I see him as a Hufflepuff. He was very loyal to Dumbledore.

Friends - I agree that he is the type who has "Associates" rather than friends, but I think it may be more complex than it appears on the surface just why that is so. I think he knows he is a disappointment to people. That won't make you feel very confident about friendship.

Teachers/Students liking him - He might have gotten along with one teacher, if he had a subject he was good at. He reminds me of a lot of students I have had.

I can see him being the pipeline for illegal goods, but I can also just see him being the outsider- the kid who didn't have a good homelife or family background, wasn't brilliant, and shuffled around in the background.

If he had been a Squibb he would NEVER have been the Harry on the back of Mad-Eye's broom. No one in the Order would have put someone who coudln't defend himself in the direct line of Voldemort's fire - and he apparated right off that broom, so there is proof positive that he is, at the very least, passably good at the kinds of magic he finds useful in his day to day life...

I see Mundungus as a person who sort of fell into the cracks. He probably passed some Owls, maybe even a NEWT, but by the skin of his teeth. He might have had low expectations of himself that became self-fulfilling prophecies. I don't think he was as far gone in school as he is by time we meet him, however. If for no other reason, the fear of being publicly scourgified by roomates who did not want to smell him would have kept him a bit less...fragrant...

ProfPosky
    [

Thanks to Joanna for my very first ever banner!

bluexroses
    I'd have to agree with everyone and say he's about the same age as the Marauders or possibly a bit older. Tonks apparently just got out of Auror training, but Dung seems to be an old hand. He's a lot less worried about what people (and especially the Order) think of him. For example, he fell asleep during one of the Order meetings. If he hadn't been around for quite some time, I don't think he'd feel comfortable enough to take a snooze. Also, Mrs. Figg seems to know him well enough to start ranting about him while walking Harry (and an unconscious Dudley) back to her house in OoTP.

What House do you think he most likely was in?
    This is a difficult question. He is not a Gryffindor (prided for its bravery), that much is for certain. He Apparated off Moody's broom in the middle of an incredibly important Order mission. He was terrified, and didn't have the guts to stick it out. This brings me to Hufflepuff, whose members are known for their hard work, perseverance, and unwavering loyalty. Mundungus has none of these qualities. In reference to the example above, he didn't feel enough loyalty towards the Order to stay and complete the mission. As for Ravenclaw, I don't see Dung as someone who was incredibly gifted, but rather as someone who skated through school, barely passing his OWLs. This leaves me with no other option but Slytherin, and though he doesn't quite seem to fit, it is the likeliest of the four. He is a sneak, and he can be very cunning and tricky to achieve his ends. He also seems to be out for himself, another Slytherin trait.

I honestly see him as a bit of a loner. He doesn't seem the type to get sucked in by the "blood-mania," so though I think he was a Slytherin, Dung probably didn't have the typical Slytherin mindset. I see him as being one of the quiet troublemakers at school. The Marauders were open and blunt, but Dung would have been a bit stealthier. If he had any friends at all, they wouldn't be very close. Like I mentioned before, Mundungus is out for Mundungus, and no one else. His "friends" might have been Crabbe and Goyle types; there to help him with his mischief, but not people he'd tell his secrets to.

Again, he seems to be someone who would willingly stay by himself. As I said, he doesn't seem very bright, but he wouldn't have been a class clown either. I doubt the teachers would pay much attention to him as he is one of those "back-of-the-class-where-nobody-can-see-me" types. The students would only know him enough to be able to point him out in a crowd. As someone mentioned before, Aberforth didn't like him, and its easy to imagine that others didn't as well. Students who stay by themselves often automatically become outcasts. His sneaky ways may have earned the distrust of some of the students. I don't believe most students wouldn't like him, but rather that they wouldn't know him or pay him much mind.

Mundungus Fletcher seems to have been a student that fell through. He skated through school, and his outcast reputation didn't help at all in the real world. Though he is not remarkably good at magic, he has a sharp mind. He knows an opportunity when he sees one, and is not afraid to jump on it. Dung is a bit selfish and a bit lazy, but he (somewhat like a Kreacher, in my opinion) should not be underestimated.

Hope this helps!
    ~Ayesha