Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Sirius question--the Fat Lady's portrait

fawkes_07
    Okay, BUT: The night he went into Ron's room with the knife, that was the night he used the stolen passwords to get into Gryffindor Tower, wasn't it? There were two incidents--the one where the portrait got slashed (and Sirius didn't get into the Tower) and then the one you quoted, where he DID get in, but using the passwords. Right? Not right?

So it's conceivable that he went in once as Snuffles with the goal of just chomping on Scabbers, but when he couldn't get past the portrait, he had to try a 2nd time as a man, with the stolen password (and the knife).

Ya think?

megan_lupin
    Yes, he tried getting into the Tower TWO separate times -- the first time ended with the slashing of the Fat Lady's portrait and the second time is with the stolen passwords and Ron seeing him with a knife.

And, he had to have a knife to slash the portrait, so I don't know if Snuffles without a knife would work for that first encounter.

~Megan

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by fawkes_07
    So it's conceivable that he went in once as Snuffles with the goal of just chomping on Scabbers, but when he couldn't get past the portrait, he had to try a 2nd time as a man, with the stolen password (and the knife).

Ya think?
    Actually, I doubt it. Peeves referred to him by name. And a dog couldn't give the password anyway.

"Oh yes, Professorhead," said Peeves, with the air of one cradling a large bombshell in his arms. "He got very angry when she wouldn't let him in, you see." Peeves flipped over and grinned at Dumbledore from between his own legs. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black."

And nobody said anything about a big shaggy black dog, so Peeves must've seen Sirius Black the man not Padfoot the Animagus.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    The night that he slashed the portrait comes BEFORE the night that he uses the stolen passwords. At the very end of Chapter Eight, Flight of the Fat Lady is when he slashes up the portrait. He doesn't get in with the stolen passwords until the end of Chapter Thirteen, Gryffindor vs. Ravenclaw, when Sir Cadogen is in the portrait in place of the Fat Lady because she was still shaken up. He didn't have a password that first night, so, obviously the fat lady wouldn't let him in. Personally, I think that after that incident, he realized he would need the passwords, hence, he got them.

Honestly, I can see Sirius hacking it up out of frustration at being able to get in. The Fat Lady wouldn't let him in without a password, so I think it safe to say that he would slash it up out of anger and frustration. I mean Peeves even said "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black," and we know he REALLY wanted to get to Peter, and, as stated by megan before "he was so close, yet so far" and that had to pull his strings. Honestly, I think temperis the most logical answer.

Hope that helped!

~nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

fawkes_07
    Hmmmm...I see what you mean about Peeves perceiving a difference between Sirius and Snuffles. That's pretty key. Assuming Peeves doesn't know about Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail (and why would they ever trust HIM with a secret like that), he wouldn't have properly identified Snuffles as Sirius Black, if, in fact, Snuffles had clawed the portrait.

Geez, I'm glad I asked! Thanks, guys!