Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Sirius Escaped...

Mistletoe

When Sirius Escaped...

How many people in the OotP knew the truth about where Sirius was? Like, immediately after everyone found out that he was at Hogwarts, how many people did Dumbledore tell?

red haired mom
    He sent Sirius to "...alert Remus, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while; I will contact you there." page- 713, GoF Chapter thirty six The Parting of the Ways. American paperback edition

Sometime after that, whenever Dumbledore contacted them, Sirius offered the House at Grimmauld Place for the Headquarters. When people started showing up is when I would think they found out.

I can't imagine telling people willy nilly about it. Only the ones they trusted enough with the secret of knowing where the Headquarters was located.

Hope that helped,
    ~Wendy

Mistletoe
    Thanks very much.

So Molly and Arthur weren't part of the "old crowd" were they? But they did find out when Sirius was in the castle about to be kissed, did they not?

megan_lupin
    Molly and Arthur were not a part of the Order during Voldemort's first rise. And neither of them knew anything about Sirius being innocent in the course of PoA.

At the end of GoF, in the hospital wing, Mrs Weasley is surprised to see Sirius, still believing him at that time to be a mad mass murderer. Ron tells her not to worry, that it's all OK, etc. She doesn't get the whole story at that time, but it's safe to say that Arthur, at least, doesn't find out anything until either a) Mrs Weasley tells him something AFTER that encounter or b) when the Order starts to gather at Grimmauld Place (I suppose) and everyone gets the nice long explanation about Sirius's innocence.

~Megan

Mistletoe
    Okayyy, there's where I was confused. Thanks for that bit. I just needed to know when Molly and Arthur found out. Thanks so much guys

EDIT: Okay, when Ron mentioned Sirius in the Hospital Wing to Molly, why were they there? Was it because of Harry's exposure to the Dementors?

<<Sorry if this is OT!>>

megan_lupin
    It's in GoF after Harry's returned from the Third Task. He's already been up to Dumbledore's office, where he met Sirius, and told Dumbledore and Sirius what happened in the graveyard with Voldemort, and then all three of them go down to the Hospital Wing. Mrs Weasley, Bill, Ron and Hermione are there as well, and Sirius goes as Padfoot.

Harry falls asleep at first with the potion, though nothing has been revealed at this time concerning Sirius. When he wakes back up, it's to have Fudge there and Dumbledore and McGonagall talking about how Voldemort can't be back, Crouch Jr. was given the Kiss, etc. After Fudge leaves (and I think McGonagall does as well, but I'm not sure), then that's when Dumbledore tells Sirius to transform back into his human self, where Mrs Weasley has her reaction (as does Snape, but that's another story).

~Megan

Mistletoe
    Oh, man! My canon sure is scratchy. So Sirius was on the run for all of GoF, then? Then he just stayed at Lupin's for a little while, then went to live in mountain crevasses and with tropical birds, etc? I'm so confused!

megan_lupin
    At the end of PoA, Sirius leaves on Buckbeak and goes off somewhere (supposedly somewhere tropical) for the summer, as Harry receives letters from Sirius via tropical-looking birds.

Sometime around the beginning of the school year in GoF (before the other schools arrive at Hogwarts and such), Sirius sends Harry a letter saying that he's back in the country, though he doesn't say specifically at this time *where* in Britain he is.

It's sometime after the Second Task that Harry, Ron and Hermione visit Sirius in the cave in Hogsmeade, though my memory is a bit sketchy in terms of how long Sirius is actually there. (There's a point before the First Task, too, that Sirius talks to Harry in the Gryffindor fire.)

Once Harry returns from the graveyard at the end of GoF, Sirius is at Hogwarts and in Dumbledore's office, where the story is told, etc. before eventually leaving to go and alert the old crowd and lie low at Remus's place.

~Megan

Mistletoe
    Quote Originally Posted by red haired mom
    "...alert Remus, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while; I will contact you there."
    So, what exactly was happening around this point in time?

megan_lupin
    This is at the end of GoF after the graveyard events. Everyone's in the Hospital Wing and Fudge has left after giving Harry his winnings and saying that there is no way Voldemort can be back.

Bill has left to tell Arthur about what has happened (Voldemort is back, the Ministry won't believe it, etc). McGonagall has left to talk to Hagrid, telling him that Dumbledore will be to see him in a moment, and Poppy has gone to check on Winky (Crouch Jr. has already been Kissed).

Sirius, then, transforms back into himself and the *basic* truth is given to Snape and Molly, who are both present and are the only ones who don't know the truth. After the two of them give their "truce" , then Dumbledore tells Sirius to go and alert the old crowd.

Afterwards, he sends Snape on his mission.

~Megan