Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Molly Weasley

bondman007

Hello!!

Dear HP fans of America, England and beyond,

I am currently writing a fic about the aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts and the following year, with intent to make it into a series spanning the entire 19 years between the last "normal" chapter of DH and the epilogue. The story is at a point where it is a few days after Fred's funeral, and our favorite overprotective mother is going about coping with Fred's death in the wrong way. The problem is, I don't know what unhealthy coping method she would use, as opposed to constantly crying, refusing to eat and losing sleep (which is probably another fanfic cliche). I tossed around the idea of the "let them go so if something happens it doesn't hit as hard" method by Molly taking Harry and Ginny aside and giving Harry permission to sleep in Ginny's room (while remaining abstinent), essentially acknowledging that Ginny was an adult and was able to take care of herself. (Did I mention that she's still 16 at this time?) However, this didn't sit well, and made me afraid of being rejected for OOC-ness, partly because of Molly, but also because of Harry and Ginny's reaction to it. Does anyone have a suggestion, either of a way to clarify my original idea for a coping method or of an entirely different one?

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by bondman007
    I tossed around the idea of the "let them go so if something happens it doesn't hit as hard" method by Molly taking Harry and Ginny aside and giving Harry permission to sleep in Ginny's room (while remaining abstinent), essentially acknowledging that Ginny was an adult and was able to take care of herself.
    Well, first of all, whether Molly is "pro-abstinence" or not, I just can't see her saying "Go ahead and sleep together, but don't you dare have sex."

Second, acknowledging that your daughter is an adult kind of implies no longer having a say in whether or not she's going to remain abstinent.

I think it's much more likely that, in the aftermath of the battle, Molly would be accepting of Harry and Ginny's relationship and not say anything at all about their sleeping arrangements.

However, that would be a healthy reaction, and you said you wanted an unhealthy one. So how about blaming Harry for all the death and destruction that's been visited upon her family, and trying to keep him away from Ginny?

I think she'd get over that eventually, but if you want her to temporarily lose her mind over Fred's death, making Harry a scapegoat seems a likely possibility.

TheCursedQuill
    I don't think Molly would *ever* blame Harry for anything. She sees him as her own son, and we saw that through her boggart when she saw him lying dead on the floor along with the rest of her family.

I don't think Molly would really blame anyone, and having no one to blame, would go into deep depression. Maybe the "let them go so it doesn't hit as hard" is a good way to go. Though I'm not sure Molly would do this either. If you do go this way, Molly would probably not care about anything anymore. She would leave the house a mess, her kids can do whatever they want, and I can see her not really talking. She just kind of sits there in shock. Arthur would try to talk, but she just gives one word answers.

I know this doesn't seem extreme, but looking at who Molly is, it sort of is. She would do anything for her family and she loves them very much. Letting them go and just not caring in general is very un-Molly. I think it would be a good extreme without going too OOC and cliche.

bondman007
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    I think it's much more likely that, in the aftermath of the battle, Molly would be accepting of Harry and Ginny's relationship and not say anything at all about their sleeping arrangements.

However, that would be a healthy reaction...
    I actually think that the healthy reaction would be a better idea, given the mood that I've already established: that the family, despite the hard-hitting loss, knows that Fred wouldn't want the rest of them to lose sleep, cry constantly, blame others, etc. I just wanted a plausible way to explain the way that Molly doesn't show any grief, but now that I think about it, Fred's would-be disgust at the family "blubbering" over him and what not is a plausible explanation. Because we all know that he'd rather get toasted with a bottle of Ogden's Old Firewhisky, plus something fitting his style, shall we say (possibly a specially made Wildfire Whiz-Bang?) and if we, the fans know that, then his own mum would probably know that too.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    Hi- I was just wondering if anyone knows whether it is canon that Molly was disowned by her family after marrying Arthur?

I'm pretty sure in HBP Ginny says that Molly and Arthur eloped, but this does not necessarily mean she was disowned. The fact that she appears to have got on well with her brothers, and that Muriel comes to Bill and Fleur's wedding seems to imply she was not, but quite a few fanfics I've read say she was.

Just wondering what your thoughts were, and whether it would be AU to say that she was disowned.
    Thank you!
    Banner by Minna.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    There is no evidence at all that she was disowned and rather a lot of evidence to suggest she was close to her brothers (she has Fabians watch for instance).

It doesn't say that her and Arthur eloped. It says that they married young and rather quickly because it was a time of war.

I'm not sure you'd have to apply an AU warning exactly, it's something that could have happened, I suppose. Molly actually refers to Muriel as 'Our Great Aunt' which as Arthur and she are related (cousins I think) then she could be aunt to both.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    I think Molly says in HBP that, just like the last time Voldemort was in power, "people were eloping left, right and center." To which Ginny replies, "Just like you and Dad." So, maybe, they did elope after all.

As for Molly being disowned, hmmm...the Blacks and Prewetts were related by marriage (although we don't know who is the Prewett guy who marries a Black). The thing is, I have always wondered why Molly, coming from a Pureblood family, lives so poorly. It is obvious she was still close with her brothers post-marriage (they were Order members, so I suppose it's safe to assume that they wouldn't have opposed to the idea of her marrying a Weasley). Unless her own family was not that rich...

Plus, I thought Muriel came from Molly's side of the family, as she gives a deprecating comment on the Weasleys' breeding in DH. But, of course, the Purebloods are all interrelated, so Muriel might be related to both Arthur and Molly.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Backtracks and actually picks up book.

Yeah it looks as if they could have eloped, but there's nothing about them being disowned.

Hmm, pureblood families aren't necessarily rich, (Gaunts) but perhaps the Weasleys are poor because they have a lot of children and Arthurs salary isn't good.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Protecting Scabbers from Crookshanks
    Originally posted by Equinox Chick:
    Hmm, pureblood families aren't necessarily rich, (Gaunts) but perhaps the Weasleys are poor because they have a lot of children and Arthurs salary isn't good.
    I suppose that makes better sense. Unless, the parents were pureblood fanatics who hated the blood-traitor Weasleys or were like the Malfoys who looked down on people who are not as well off. But, somehow, I can't imagine Molly and her brothers coming from such a family.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3