Thread: Professor Sinistra

Something Sinister

Professor Sinistra

I noticed that among all of the minor character threads, one for our dear Astronomy professor was not present. Hence, this thread...

As little of what we see of this character, (she is only mentioned twice in the entire series, poor woman.) we can determine a little bit about her.

I am writing a Snape/Sinistra story and though her first name on the Lexicon is Aurora, I named her Vesper instead. Personally, I think it sounded better. Also, because of the very little information given to us about her, I have taken the liberty of practically creating a personality for this canonical character.

-All in all, do you think that Sinistra is an important character, even if she is rarely ever mentioned?

-Do you think she has more to do with the story than what is mentioned?

-What type of personality do you think Sinistra would have?

-Finally, what House would she be best suited for (based on your own opinions) and why?

pokethedevil
    Yay! First post!

All in all, do you think that Sinistra is an important character, even if she is rarely ever mentioned?
    No, I don't think she is. She teaches Astronomy, that's it. But maybe, if she's a really old, old teacher ther, she might know something about Hogwarts that otherss don't. Unlikely, but it's a possibility...
    You can write about her anything you want but to abide by canon, her importance to the plot on HP is really really insignificant. But hey, you could have anything you want with her if your story's AU.

Do you think she has more to do with the story than what is mentioned?
    Like I said...*points above*

What type of personality do you think Sinistra would have?
    That's a fairly open question.
    I'm thinking of her as a quiet, resereved, even mysterious personality; someone who notices the little things about people, who isn'y really social but is willing to help anyone in need. Oh, and she has a craving for dark chocolate.
    Or maybe she could just be this heartbroken, young witch who's own traumatic personal life has led her to rereat in to walls of the castle, afraid of the sun and people,...a-a a vampire!! No ,that seems a bit to much, don't you think?

Finally, what House would she be best suited for (based on your own opinions) and why?
    Ravenclaw. She's definitely intelligent, *astronomy for cryin' out loud!* focused and doesn't seem to possess the recklessness of a Gryffindor.(though we can't be sure of that)
    Oh I don't know... you could fit her anywhere I guess, we know so little about her. >.<

Pheonix Tears
    -All in all, do you think that Sinistra is an important character, even if she is rarely ever mentioned?

For me, no. Although I get the feeling she was always lurking round corners. (Why am I so suspicous?)

I get the feeling that she, if asked a question, would only reveal very minor details about the answer. So perhaps she knew about what could happen in the future, something about it is written in the stars. Alright so that was Divination but for me they are very closely interlinked.

I see her as being very polite - sometimes verging on rudeness. Sinistra - Sinister so perhaps with her, all is not what it seems? Like pokethedevil said, quiet and mysterious. Oh and elusive. Oh I love that word right now. For some reason I think of her as having a fantastic memory! I see her and Tralawney as not getting on, both thinking their respective subjects are superior.

-Finally, what House would she be best suited for (based on your own opinions) and why?

Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw all the way! Because I think that Astromony isn't a subject which you can just pick up (although lets face it what subject is) and you have to know the planets really well. My second choice would be Slytherin as I also see her as quite cunning and at time manipulative.

Wow I've made out Vesper (Love the name by the way. ) to be a really horrible person. But I've just realised I love the character and I can't wait to read the story!

Oh and can I also add something?

Apperance:

For again, an unknown reason, I think that she would be tall and skinny, with ice blonde hair. But not beautiful but quite plain?

Oh and I love the idea of Snape with her. It seems so . . . neat. Not in the slang tense but that it would work. I can see either one of them being totally besotted with the other but the other not being so much like that.

I really have to stop saying ' I see '

pokethedevil
    I'm not sure if it's her, but in the movies she's shown as this lady with a net veil sort of thing covering her face, dark lips and eyes and a feathery hat.
    I think a pale-ish complexion would suit her but her other features would have to be dark... dark, thick black hair, large black, glitterly eyes, long slender fingers and a slim figure.

You'd have to work on her personality quiet a bit if you want Snape to like her.

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Sinister
    Probably not really. Not canonically. Although I do have her taking over Slytherin house during Snape's absence in Harry's fourth year.

Again, probably not, but this is due to the writing of the books where it doesn't seem very important.

On the other hand, I can absolutely see astronomical and astrological knowledge a necessity for planting & harvesting magical plants, obtaining ingredients of magical creatures, potion making and clearly, it's useful in Divination. None of this is going to work if you don't know which phase the moon is in, which constellation is where, and whether or not Mars is in transit and Mercury in retrograde.

I'd say she'd almost have to be intelligent. Probably quiet, but not necessarily shy. Bookish. Some astronomical calculations are very complex. Probably a little introverted; I'd say she'd be a night person by nature and not at her best at 9:30 AM.

Ravenclaw most likely, although as I've said I had her in Slytherin for a scene in my book.

And actually, I think "sinis" means "left" (as opposed to "right").

Something Sinister
    And actually, I think "sinis" means "left" (as opposed to "right").
    Yes, you're quite right. It's Italian for "left". And in my story, she's left-handed, so hoo-raw.