Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CANADIAN Language and Culture Help

Vous parlez franšais? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Quote Originally Posted by KCharles
    Do you think it would be possible for the english speaking witches and wizards to all go to school in America?
    I guess it's a possibility, but I mean, if the other countries can have their school, why can't we have one? We are close to the Americans in terms of lifestyle and culture, but we are different too. So I think Canadians would prefer to have their own school, with their own way to do things, specific classes about Canadian history, Muggle studies, etc. Let's say in a Potions class, the teacher might use plants and ingredients that you can only find in Canada, in History of Magic, you'd have a section about Canadian wizards and their achievements... you see what I mean. There has to be a school in Canadian soil, to bring out our particularities.

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

Kcharles
    OK, for comparing: Japan has about 4 times as many people as Canada.

So, I think that any Canadian school would be about 4 floors, the size of Durmstrang(about)?

Well, Hogwarts only has about 400 people, so it might be bigger, but I don't think that it would be the size of Hogwarts.

Lizzy
    If you do the math (10 students per year x 7 years x 4 houses), Hogwarts only has 280 kids. That is nothing. And Canada would have even less.

I think Canada's would be even smaller than Durmstrang, because doesn't Durmstrang get kids from more than one country?

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy
    If you do the math (10 students per year x 7 years x 4 houses), Hogwarts only has 280 kids. That is nothing. And Canada would have even less.

I think Canada's would be even smaller than Durmstrang, because doesn't Durmstrang get kids from more than one country?
    Hmm, I don't think the maths are very accurate. J K has never really given the subject much thought, and has changed the amount of students from virtually the entire country to around 300 people... It would depend on if people wished to be taught at the school or not.

About size; Hogwarts only has 14 teachers or so, implying there would only ever need to be 14 classrooms. Yet we know that there are many more (and it's a 7 floored castle) so perhaps the size doesn't really matter that much.

And finally, it may just be that there are booms in children going to Hogwarts, and the 7 years we look at it are rather low.

Hope I helped,

~Josh

Kcharles
    There might not have been many people in Harry's year and years around him because that's when Voldemort is strongest, so people aren't thinking about having children at that time. I think that there is more than 10 people in each house per year.

So I'm making the Canadian School 4 floorsish. Any ideas for names? It's an english speaking school.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    So I'm making the Canadian School 4 floorsish. Any ideas for names? It's an english speaking school.
    I'm going to refresh this question because I'm trying to think of a good name for a Canadian school as well. I'm in the planning stages of writing a new story for the site An Appraisal of Magical Education in North America; sort of based on the book Hermione spoke about An Appraisal of Magical Education in Europe. I've thought of names for nearly all the schools, save for the Canadian one. So I'm going to need some help coming up with a meaningful name that would make sense for a Canadian school.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

sorrow_of_severus
    Something that hasn't been covered in the previous posts in this thread is population distribution. A major chunk of Canada's population lives in an area termed "The Golden Horseshoe". This is basically the area with a couple of hours of the city of Toronto. It is called this because the area is roughly in the shape of a U or a horseshoe, along the shores of Lake Ontario. This region is culturally very diverse, with some parts having a somewhat large immigrant population.

I expect that there would be two or three wizarding schools in Canada. One would definitely be in Quebec, because it really does feel like a different country than the rest of Canada, and the second in northern Ontario province (it's really, really remote up there, but has the advantage of being located within a few hours of the major population center of the Golden Horseshoe). A third one might be in western Canada, which doesn't feel like a distinctly different country but certainly is different than Ontario. The western school would probably serve the prairie provinces (Alberta and Saskatchewan), the Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories, and perhaps Nunavut. It would be pretty new, only established in the past hundred years or so as it became more settled. Then again, it could be that the western population could be too small to support a large enough magical community for a school, and the wizard's kids would just go east to the school in Northern Ontario. I would expect the kids along the coast (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, etc.) would be split, with some opting to go the the Quebec School but a majority going to the English-speaking school in Ontario. I think the native population would educate their own generally and not send them to school, as they have a rich history of magic immersed into their culture.

Actually, something like "Golden Horseshoe Academy" wouldn't be too bad of a name for your school, if it were located in the province of Ontario. Horseshoes traditionally were thought to have some magical properties.

DISCLAIMER: I am an American, not a Canadian. However, I do live near the border with Canada, visit eastern Canada quite frequently and been to the Yukon twice, have studied Canada in school, and have Canadian relatives, so I possess some basic knowledge of Canada.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Do you think there is a large enough population in Quebec for there to be a French language school? I also imagine this is also where students from Haiti and the Frech Caribbean would go to school as well.

Are there any main cultural difference between English Canada and French Canada that I should know about? How about the Canadian school system in general? Is it very similar to how the British school system runs? Becayse Canada is a common wealth, I wonder if they would have a house system as well.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Lizzy
    Our system is nothing like the British one - we don't even have a national system. Each province has it's own. There are standards, obviously, but besides that, it's run by the provincial government. I've never heard of a Canadian House system, although that doesn't mean they don't do it in private school somewhere. I could explain the Ontarian system, but explaining school systems can take a while, so if you want, you can PM me and I can write it all out, although that would only help you if this is the region you're writing about. I don't think the systems are THAT different, but I'm not going to explain the Ontarian one, just to have you say you're writing something in Alberta, and I know there's a difference between the systems (I'm not quite sure how big, though). If you want an in-depth explaination, you're going to have to give us a province to work with.

I wouldn't say there was any main difference between English and French Canada, just because all the parts of Canada are different, that I don't think you would get a very specific definition of English-speaking Canada's culture. There are a lot of different cultures contained in the English-speaking part. I could give stereotypes for a lot of the different regions, but not all of them are very nice...

Er, that wasn't helpful.

You should probably know that there are seperatists in Quebec - there's even a large political party that's part of our federal government whose main goal is to make Quebec its own country. Seperatism is like a wave, almost - some decades it's huge, and some it's not that huge of a deal. It was really big - there was even a referendum one year, not too long ago (I'll find a date...) about whether or not Quebec wanted to stay a part of Canada: Wikipedia says the results were 50.6% to 49.4% in favour of staying part.

Becayse Canada is a common wealth, I wonder if they would have a house system as well.
    On that subject, just because Canada is commonwealth, doesn't mean that Quebec would follow. They had a treaty made to them in the 1700s that said they can run their own schools, have their own culture, and have their own law system when it comes to minnor crimes.

I think there's a large enough population in Quebec for a French-speaking school. It wouldn't be huge, probably the size of a regular high school, but I'm pretty sure they would have their own (see discription of above treaty). The population wouldn't be that big, but I don't know why there wouldn't be a school.

I hope that made sense. Feel free to ask if it doesn't, I wrote that pretty fast. And I rambled. Sorry.

angel_of_lily
    Erm... I don't really have an opinion on the whole 'school' debate but two OC's from one of my older ideas I'm working on reviving are Canadian but when I was going over it I realised that I'd basically made them British in every aspect except their actual nationality. So I was wondering if anybody could give me the lowdown of any major cultural differences I should be aware of?