Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CANADIAN Language and Culture Help

bluemoon13
    Are there territories where people tend to be from one nation over others, the way those from Quebec are usually French?
    Not really. You've hit the main one- the French of Quebec. This is because after the Americain revolution, the English Loyalists who were loyal to Britain where forced to leave America for Canada. The Loyalists refused to be governed with the French speaking Canadiens. The Governor of the time realised that the French would never give up their langauge or customs, so Upper and Lower Canada were created. These areas are now known as Ontario and Quebec.

In British Columbia, there are many Asian people because of the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Many workers from China came to work on the railway and they settled in Canada after the railroad was complete. I believe there were many Irish who also worked on the railway, mainly seattling in the Altantic provinces.

How do you believe Canadian schools for magic would be different from Hogwarts?
    Well, there is population. The school would probably have a smaller amount of students simply because Canada's population is much smaller than Britain's. On the other hand, Canada is a much larger country. There would probably be more space for a wizarding school or community to work with.

Wow, that was more historical than I intended... I must have actually learned something in Socials....
    -Shivy

Kcharles
    Would the Canadian wizarding schools have classes in French or English? Canada would only have one school, because of the population.

Lizzy
    They'd probably have classes in English, just because there are so many more English-speaking people here.

I can kind of see Quebec having a teeny-tiny ten-person one-teacher little school for French-speaking people, or them just going out to Beauxbatons, if they couldn't speak english. It wouldn't be that big of a problem for them - they could get there pretty quickly, being magic and all.

EDIT: Yes, most French people here do speak a bit of english, comme beaucoup des Anglais peuvent parler un peu de franšais. I might have butchered that... Notice I said un peu.

MC Kair
    Yes, I agree with Lizzy. Canada is much more English speaking. Most Quebecois even speak English as it is a major job requirment. I couldn't see there being a French school as there aren't many people that would need it consider the normal people vs wizards ratio and the french vs english people ratio.

Hope that helped.

-Maria

Kcharles
    And I'd think there'd be a school for the Aboriginal languages too, because we've had problems in Canada with Aboriginals being taken out of their homes and being forced to speak English.

James Jameson
    I think that maybe there would be like, a house for each major language. Like, a French House, Aboriginal House, and Two English Houses? And the English kids would all learn together and there would be minority staffs?

Although *I'm not sure that too many people speak the Aboriginal Languages fluently anymore....* But I can't be sure...

Kcharles
    Ohh, I like the idea of diffrent "houses" for the languages. I think that that should work, thank you!

FireAndIce
    Keep in mind though, Canada is a very vast country. It takes 5 hours by plane to get to Vancouver from Toronto.

Because Canada is so big, we'll probably need to have 2 schools...one on the west coast and one on the east coast. These schools, as someone said earlier, would definitely have smaller populations than Hogwarts.

I like the House idea....but don't you think the language barrier would somehow divide the houses? For the Aboriginal one, you'd probably have to have only Aboriginals teaching it. A lot of people in Canada are bilingual comme moi, so I don't think that would be an issue.

And, yes, it's true that Quebec's first language is french, but I-having personally been there- would have to agree that most people there do speak english.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    While I haven't lived in Canada for a long time, I think I should point out that having an "Aboriginal" house doesn't make much sense. Not because there is not a large population of Native people, but because lumping all the different cultures together makes no sense.

There are differences between the Inuit and the Cree, the Micmac and Athabaskan - different languages, different traditions, different foods. . . . different creation myths, magical traditions, traditional ways of life. And they were treated very differently by the Canadian government, depending on when Europeans settled the area. The Native American people in British Columbia had a far different, and far better in many ways, experience than those in the Maritime provinces. It would kind of be like lumping the Germans, French, Spanish and English together and calling it a "European House".

Also, to think that somehow Canadians are not prejudiced is giving us too much credit, I am afraid. Its the normal sort of mix of people - some have prejudices and some don't. When I was growing up Native Americans were often regulated to the lower end of the social spectrum, with those of British ancestry at the top, and the big influx from Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Russia) somewhere in the middle. I know a lot of families changed their names to sound more British when they immigrated back at the turn of the last century.

Of course, nothing is static, and in recent years especially there has been a lot of immigration from India and Asia. My sister is a school teacher in Vancouver, and when she was substitute teaching at different schools it was not uncommon for her to be the only person in the classroom of European decent - her students were all either Indian immigrants, or the children of Indian immigrants.

I think that there would wind up being two schools in Canada, though, Francophone in Quebec, and English speaking in Ontario (where most of the population is). The prairie provinces might have their own. I would think that the Native people would scorn the European tradition and follow their own, different traditions. It could make for an interesting story.

I write; I duel; I drabble

Banner by bubblegumpinkhair

Banner by YourWildestDreams

FireAndIce
    Yes, good point, well made.
    You're right; I didn't even think of that!