Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CANADIAN Language and Culture Help

siriusly_insane

CANADIAN Language and Culture Help

Hello everyone!
    This is a thread for anyone who needs Canadian language and/or culture help. I wouldn't have bothered with this thread because a) The USA and Canada are very similar and b) Very few fics take place in Canada to begin with.
    But, the USA thread does take more focus on the south and just in case anyone needs it, my help is here! (I doubt that anyone will)
    Cheers,

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Oh, the Canadian thread looks so sad and lonely. I'll fix that!

I'm working on creating schools for countries in the Western Hemisphere, and now it's Canada's turn. I know that the American population is five times that of Britians, so I took that into account and create five American magic schools. What is Canada's population in relation to Britain?

What regions do you think magic schools would exist in. Can you give me any good and specific information about these regions that would be useful in creating a system of Canadian schools in my imagination?

ThanX! I'll post again when I come up with more.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kcharles
    Canada has a population of about 33,390,141 , so there's not many people for the second largest country in the world.

I think that the schools would probably be located in these places(in order of the likelyhood of them being there): The western part of Canada, Centeral Canada(Manitoba, maybe even in Ottawa itself) and then eastern Canada, or maybe the north. I'd think that if the people up in the north were to have a wizard, they wouldn't be sent to any wizard school, just to normal school.

Vitamin Vicki

Canadian Schools

There would definitely be a magical school in Quebec - however I'm fairly confident that they would make it all French - you guys have heard about their Canadian vs. French struggle, right? (Quebec wants to become a country and not be part of Canada anymore - because it's first language is French.) So there would definitely be a school there, and they would be a school that most other Canadians would think was a snobby school, because the Quebecois would think very highly of themselves. And there would probably be a school in BC, or Alberta, somewhere near the Rockies, I'm thinking, because it would be easier to hide. And then you would have a school in the Northwest Territories or the Yukon Territories, because they would most likely not attend a West Coast school because they're so far North - and the Quebecois wouldn't let them attend their school - but they probably wouldn't want to anyway. The Nunavut (spelling?) province would also attend the Northern school - I'm thinking about three schools, but mostly because things are more spread out. But, like KCharles said, there could also be one in Manitoba, or possibly Ontario, since that's where the nation's capital is - but not directly in Ottawa - that would be hard to hide. The English speaking Canadian schools would probably make sports teams and verse each other versus schools, instead of being purely within the school, because the schools would not be that big. But I see a Quebecois school working more with Beauxbatons, say, than the school in Ontario. The Maritime provinces would most likely attend a school in Ontario, otherwise they'd have to go all the way to the West Coast or up North.

maayan
    I myself am not really Canadian, even though I do have a Canadian citizenship, but my mother grew up in Montreal (Quebec). To make things even my father's American.
    Between the two of them my father's french is better, and that's not saying much. My mother barely passed her french matriculation.
    Whether or not Quebec is French/English speaking is a big heated issue. While many speak English with a heavy, almost unintelligble french-accent, many don't speak French. It's true that French is considered the official language, or at least it was when my mother was growin up. That's why my mother never knew street signs, because they were all in French. I don't know who was more suprised when my oldest sister started learning street signs for her driving and my mother discovered that the round sign with the red circle and the number 60 meant that was the speed limit.
    Do you think there would be a lot of wizards in North America, or that most of them would perfer to stay behind in the Old World and the ratio of wizards to the population would be less?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Do you think there would be a lot of wizards in North America, or that most of them would perfer to stay behind in the Old World and the ratio of wizards to the population would be less?

I believe that a wizards reasons for coming to North America would be the same for the Muggle that went: a chance for a fresh start and a new life.

If a wizarding family were looked down upon or disgraced in some way back in Europe, they may leap at the chance to start a new life in the New World. For that reason, all the "old blood" families of Europe would more than likely not be found in the Americas. The countries there might have their own definition by what makes them regale (In America, you family coming over on the Mayflower is pretty big. I'm not sure what Canadians use).

Also, there would also be all that wide open space to use magic in and, at the beginning at least, no government telling them what to do. This would probably attract quite a few rogue wizards as well (did I mention in America, having an ancestor who was a Wild West outlaw is something to brag about as well?).

Anyway, here's just my imput.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting to put up a discussion topic that came to me as I was going to sleep last night.

House elves. We all know they usually only belong to wealthy wizarding families and often come with large manors.

But what about in North America?

As I said in my last posting, the only reason people would have left for the New World back then was because the possibility of a new start seemed much better than the life the already had in Europe. And if a family with a house elf was wealthy, chances are that life was pretty good where they were and they would have no reason to leave.

Would house elves be more or less nonexistant in the Americas? If so, who would do all the hundreds of chores needed to run a magic school in these countries?

Brand New Story!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    As I said in my last posting, the only reason people would have left for the New World back then was because the possibility of a new start seemed much better than the life the already had in Europe. And if a family with a house elf was wealthy, chances are that life was pretty good where they were and they would have no reason to leave.
    Wealthy people did come to the Americas. They weren't usually the first ones over, but once colonies were established, there were rich people who came over for various reasons -- to expand their fortunes, because they were on the losing end of an inheritance battle, to oversee property they had invested in (the colonies were commercial investments for those back home, remember), or just out of a sense of adventure or curiosity.

Would house elves be more or less nonexistant in the Americas? If so, who would do all the hundreds of chores needed to run a magic school in these countries?
    As to the last question: you could make the students perform chores, you could hire a custodial staff (which might consist of squibs and/or Muggles), or you could rely on a whole lot of magic items to do all the chores.

As to the first: I am sure that at least a few wealthy wizarding families would bring house-elves over. Whether house-elves would remain commonplace depends on whether you think North American wizarding society would diverge significantly from British society. There are obvious parallels between slavery and house-elf servitude. Britain abolished slavery before the U.S. did (albeit for economic reasons, not because abolitionist sentiment was particularly stronger there), but Britain didn't experience a bloody civil war fought largely over slavery, and did not have to cope with a large population of slaves/ex-slaves.

Looking at Canada, slavery was already in decline there when Parliament abolished slavery throughout the British Empire. After that, Canada was a primary destination for the Underground Railroad. So there was a lot of abolitionist sentiment there.

The question then becomes, how much did Muggle culture affect wizarding society? To the degree that wizards were aware of the slavery issue, it could not have escaped them -- whether they were for it or against it -- that house-elves were in much the same situation.

On the other hand, long after Britain abolished slavery, house-elves are still enslaved at Hogwarts, and even Dumbledore wasn't moved to free them, he just made sure they were treated well. So maybe wizarding society really doesn't reflect Muggle society that well.

So, you could either make North American wizards "radicals" who abolished house-elf slavery, or you could say they clung to tradition just like the British wizards did. Of course, if they did stop using house-elf slaves, what then, happened to the house-elves who'd come over? Are there now a lot of free elves in the Americas? Do they work for a living? Did they set up their own little communities? They probably didn't just disappear...

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Are there territories where people tend to be from one nation over others, the way those from Quebec are usually French?

How do you believe Canadian schools for magic would be different from Hogwarts?

Brand New Story!

James Jameson
    Are there territories where people tend to be from one nation over others, the way those from Quebec are usually French?

In the Territories (Nunavut, NW Territories, Yukon) most people tend to be Aboriginal.

In Nova Scotia, most people tend to be Scottish and Irish.
    In Newfoundland, most people are either Irish or British.
    In parts of Northern ontario, there are some French people.
    In certain regions of Nova Scotia there are Acadians (French Maritimes People)
    New Bruinswick is Canada's only officially bilingual province, so people can be both French or English.

How do you believe Canadian schools for magic would be different from Hogwarts?

I think that Canadian schools for magic might not be all that different. They'd probably be very similar. The school would probably have an optional boarding/dorms, and a bit more slack of a uniform, from what I take it. There would be, of course, different rules and foods and such, but I don't think that the schools themselves would run all that differently.

Although I don't think that a Canadian Wizard school would be able to pass off as a castle.... there aren't too many Canadian Castles