Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Neville Longbottom

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Uhm...Julia, it was actually Luna (hare), Ernie (boar) and Seamus (fox), not Neville. I don't think his Patronus is ever mentioned in the books (correct me if I am wrong), but seeing as how quite and even controlled he turns out to be, it would be an animal which symbolize such character. Maybe a horse?
    Oh, silly me Well, that's a shame... I'll just have to come up with something else for a flashback. But thanks!

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Amortentia x
    Okily dokily, I'm writing a one-shot about Hannah and Neville, and I would like some opinions from you lovely people!

Do you think Neville and Hannah would have lived together before getting married? If so, for how long? If not, why not?

How long do you imagine they were a couple for before getting engaged? Then married?

Do you think that Neville would have waited a long time to introduce Hannah to his parents? If so, how long? If not, why? Would they have met before they got engaged? Before they got married?

How would Neville bring the matter up? Would he be awkward, or because many years had gone by, would he be utterly unabashed? (Or, trying to appear unabashed?)

How do you think Hannah would have reacted to the idea? Would she have immediately been at ease with the idea? Or would she be slightly hesitant, but then agreeing whole-heartedly and supporting Neville? I'm inclined to believe the latter, as Hannah's mother was murdered in her sixth year (by Death Eaters, we're assuming) and I expect it would be quite difficult for her to meet two people who had also been attacked by Death Eaters, and tortured into such awful insanity.

How do you think Hannah would behave around his parents? Would she be slightly uncomfortable at first, but eventually sink into a rather comfortable regime? I could believe this, as Hannah appears to work herself up into a tizzy when it comes to pressure, and I can imagine her panicking a bit at the start before she went in and when she was initially there. Or do you think she never got over her discomfort, or was at ease from the start?

Any help would be great

~Emma~

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Do you think Neville and Hannah would have lived together before getting married? If so, for how long? If not, why not?
    Hmm...Hannah and Neville always struck me as being rather traditional, but more shy than anything else, and for that reason, I will say 'no'. I do not think they would live together before getting married.

How long do you imagine they were a couple for before getting engaged? Then married?
    But yes, I do think they would be a shy sort of couple before they got married. They would have been 'together', but I don't see them as being hot and heavy before Hannah gets the ring.

Do you think that Neville would have waited a long time to introduce Hannah to his parents? If so, how long? If not, why? Would they have met before they got engaged? Before they got married?
    I think he would introduced her to his parents, but he would wait until they were engaged. He wouldn't wait until they got married just because that feels like putting it off for too long. But I feel like she would have met them sometime during their engagement.

How would Neville bring the matter up? Would he be awkward, or because many years had gone by, would he be utterly unabashed? (Or, trying to appear unabashed?)
    I feel like he would have brought the idea up randomly after he himself had been considering it for a long time. It would most certainly have been awkward, but I feel like Neville would feel like it was something that had to be done.

How do you think Hannah would have reacted to the idea? Would she have immediately been at ease with the idea? Or would she be slightly hesitant, but then agreeing whole-heartedly and supporting Neville? I'm inclined to believe the latter, as Hannah's mother was murdered in her sixth year (by Death Eaters, we're assuming) and I expect it would be quite difficult for her to meet two people who had also been attacked by Death Eaters, and tortured into such awful insanity.
    I feel like she might be a bit blind-sided by the suggestion, but she would agree that it would be a good idea after the initial shock of the suggestion.

How do you think Hannah would behave around his parents? Would she be slightly uncomfortable at first, but eventually sink into a rather comfortable regime? I could believe this, as Hannah appears to work herself up into a tizzy when it comes to pressure, and I can imagine her panicking a bit at the start before she went in and when she was initially there. Or do you think she never got over her discomfort, or was at ease from the start?
    Meeting new people is always uncomfortable, and meeting someone new who has a profound disability, it is all the more uncomfortable. I feel like Hannah would do her best to be polite and proper and probably make a lot of mistakes in the first few moments of the meeting. But like anything else, as she spent more time with them, the more comfortable she would feel around the Longbottoms.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Amortentia x
    I don't see why not. We know Hannah tends a bar, which suggests she's not some delicate flower unfamiliar with carousing.

There really isn't much said in the books about wizarding world mores or religion. We don't know whether there's a stigma against unmarried couples living together, though we don't see any definite examples of such -- but Rowling was writing for a young audience, so she probably didn't want parents writing her angry letters.

That said, I think Neville and Hannah as a couple of shy, awkward, blushing virgins has become a bit of a cliche.

I think they'd have gone through a reasonable, but not overly long, engagement period. Neither of them would rush into marriage, but if they are certain of their feelings for one another, they wouldn't drag it out either. It's not as if there would be anything standing in their way, and in the aftermath of the war, a lot of people would probably feel that it's time to put the past behind them and get on with living.

I don't think Neville would formally "introduce" her -- it's not as if they'd actually recognize or remember either of them. But yes, he'd want her to meet them, because he's going to continue visiting them, and he'd want to marry someone who is okay with that. I think he would take her to see them before they get married, but probably not while they are still "casually" dating.

I don't think he'd be abashed, but it's still a weighty issue which stirs up a lot of emotions for him, so it would be a serious moment for him to have this conversation with Hannah.

I think she would agree to do it, and she would support him. I think she'd also have severe misgivings, and it's going to be hard for both of them, at first. I don't think it's something either of them would ever become "comfortable" about. Visiting St. Mungo's is never going to be an easy thing for them.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Okily dokily, I'm writing a one-shot about Hannah and Neville, and I would like some opinions from you lovely people!

Personally, I’d say no, but mainly because (in my opinion) Augusta would disapprove. But I’d make the distinction between living together and sleeping together. I can see Hannah spending nights at Nevilles place and vice versa. I don’t see either of them as starting the relationship as virgins. Neville is a hero and was surrounded by girls at the end of the battle. I can’t see him turning into a heartless lothario, though I’ve read a couple of fics where he is, but I can see him having one, or more, previous relationships.

Quite some time. Neville would probably have difficulty proposing. Not because he doesn’t want to, simply because he’s Neville. I can’t see Hannah as pushing him, either. Consequently, the engagement period might be short. Once they finally commit, they’re committed.

I think that once Gran finds out about Hannah, Neville will have little choice in the matter. Augusta Longbottom doesn’t appear much, but she seems to be a very forceful character. What I said about Neville’s previous girlfriends applies here, too.

He would be awkward. Hannah’s acceptance of the situation would be very important to him and crucial to Hannah being accepted by Augusta. I can see him taking a previous girlfriend to see them, and ditching the girl because of her reaction.

To some extent this depends on the when. Hannah works in a bar, even if she was shy and nervous when she started, she’ll have heard it all after a few years.

She’s be uncomfortable at first, and she’d probably panic before the first meeting, but I think she’d get over her discomfort.

-N-

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't see why they wouldn't live together. I agree with Inverarity that shy stuttering virginal Neville has become a bit of a cliche. I think that final year at Hogwarts certainly made a huge difference to him and probably Hannah. She stayed for the battle, defended the tunnels and fought bravely. The girl that lost her head in the OWL exams had to hold her nerve for that battle. And she becomes a pub landlady - she's going to be fairly broad minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    We don't know whether there's a stigma against unmarried couples living together, though we don't see any definite examples of such
    We do know that Fleur had to sleep in a separate room from Bill at The Burrow. I don't know whether they kept to that arrangement, but Molly's attitude seems to be that it's not going to happen under her roof. Bill is twenty-six at that point, so I can't see him being that happy. However it could be more down to the fact that these are children's books.

Okay, contrary to what I've suggested in Lavender Blue, I don't see them getting together in that final year at Hogwarts. I think it's far more likely that they got together at a much later date. Perhaps they met up at Harry's wedding or something. If they live together, then there's no real need to get engaged quickly and then married quickly. Augusta may not approve, but then I don't think she's as narrow as Aunt Muriel for instance. I'll take a stab at them getting together in 2000, engaged 2001/2, married 2004. No real reasons except perhaps they were saving up so she could take over the pub, Neville was establishing himself as a teacher ... etc etc.

I think as soon as he realised that it was a serious relationship, then he would have introduced her to his parents. By the end of that year, I honestly don't think it would have been much of a secret. Neville tells his grandmother that he's not ashamed of his parents, but in OOTP he's clearly embarrassed about the pity he's receiving. By DH time he's grown so much as a person and I can imagine him telling people what happened (although I still don't really know how Ron and other wizarding familied didn't know what had happened to them.)

I've answered a lot of this above. I don't see Neville as being embarrassed about his parents. He may feel protective of them, and also be anxious that Hannah doesn't feel awkward or embarrassed. He'd say he wants her to meet them, and it would be a big deal for him, but I think he'd say it quite directly.

I think, depending on when he brings up the subject, that Hannah would be flattered but also anxious about meeting them. Having had a relative of my own with a metal disability, there is always that initial awkwardness and embarrassment abnout introducing them to someone else. Hannah would be anxious not to say anything horrible ... and perhaps her nerves would get the better of her for a while. She would realise how big a deal this is for Neville.

How do you think Hannah would behave around his parents? Would she be slightly uncomfortable at first, but eventually sink into a rather comfortable regime? I could believe this, as Hannah appears to work herself up into a tizzy when it comes to pressure, and I can imagine her panicking a bit at the start before she went in and when she was initially there. Or do you think she never got over her discomfort, or was at ease from the start? I think your inital scenario is probably correct, except I think she'd settle into a comfortable regime quite quickly. As a pub landlady you do need to be approachable and I can see her connecting with Alice in a way that Augusta and Neville don't do. Perhaps she sits and brushes her hair, or reads to her. Whatever she does, Hannah is a Hufflepuff and thus she's loyal and hardworking *ignore Zacharius Smith* - she would make an effort because she knows this is important to Neville.

Carole

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I think your inital scenario is probably correct, except I think she'd settle into a comfortable regime quite quickly. As a pub landlady you do need to be approachable and I can see her connecting with Alice in a way that Augusta and Neville don't do. Perhaps she sits and brushes her hair, or reads to her. Whatever she does, Hannah is a Hufflepuff and thus she's loyal and hardworking *ignore Zacharius Smith* - she would make an effort because she knows this is important to Neville.
    I agree, Carole. Also, the fact that Neville married Hannah says a lot. I don't think Neville would have been serious with anyone if they did not understand the situation or were incredibly uncomfortable with it. By DH, I don't think Neville is at all embarrassed by his parents. He is proud of them and his true Gryffindor bravery is shining through as opposed to the shy Neville from earlier books. If someone was not able to accept the situation then I doubt Neville would have married them.

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    I don't think Neville would formally "introduce" her -- it's not as if they'd actually recognize or remember either of them. But yes, he'd want her to meet them, because he's going to continue visiting them, and he'd want to marry someone who is okay with that. I think he would take her to see them before they get married, but probably not while they are still "casually" dating.
    Are you sure? The short glimpse we get of Neville and his mother in OotP shows us that he definitely cares a lot, and seems to at least wish that they understood him. He thanks her for a wrapping paper and pockets it... Would he thank her if he didn't think she could hear him? I always got the impression that Augusta Longbottom is proud of Frank and Alice, but sees them damaged beyond repair, while Neville still hopes and thinks that somewhere deep down they do recognise him.

I think it would be very important to Neville to be able to say "Mum, Dad, this is Hannah. We're going to be married." instead of taking Hannah to the hospital and saying "Well, Hannah, those are my parents. Now you've seen them. Let's go."
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

livvylovegood4
    I have always thought that Neville and Luna would be good together. To me it seems like Neville and Luna will have grown very close with each other in Neville's seventh year becuase they are fighting the carrows togther. I see the romace between Neville and Luna to be good but they don't end up marrying each other but part ways on good terms. I think the reason why the romace would work is becuase in Neville's seventh year he has learned to apprciate Luna's diffrent way of doing things and no longer sees her as "Loony" but intellectual in a unusal sense. I do have some questions and it would be great if you could help me out!

How would Neville act romaticly?
    What sort of things did Luna and Neville do together to overthrow the carrows?

Thank you so much!
    Liv

aurorahze
    We know that the DA began to limit its activities after losing Luna at Christmas and Ginny at Easter, and eventually most of the members ended up in the RoR, starting with Neville. But do we know whether Neville started hiding out in the RoR only after Ginny didn't return from the Easter holidays? Or could he have already been "missing" before she left, sneaking out at night to do DA business, and simply found it too hard to continue once Ginny was gone? I'm trying to get a timeline of what happened at Hogwarts between Christmas and Easter straight in my head, particularly involving Neville.