Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Neville Longbottom

Rhi for HP
    It's true verbal abuse counts as abuse, and can leave as lasting scars as physical abuse. But what counts as verbal abuse? Is it having a fight with your friend and saying something mean you regret later? Is it a guardian who loves her grandson dearly but tells him the truth--that with his miserable grades and seemingly lack of magical talent he isn't cut out to be an Auror like his heroic parents?

On the subject of Neville as a teacher, I think he would be a good teacher, and I can imagine him like Flitwick, in that he's nice and plans fun/educational lesson plans, but can tell someone to be quiet or pay attention if needs be.

Even if his grandmother does burden him with excessive expectations -- and I can even imagine her being less than perfect, at times, perhaps losing her patience with a shy, uncertain child who is so not like her daughter -- that doesn't mean she verbally abuses him.
    Just for the record, Augusta Longbottom is the mother of Frank Longbottom, not Alice (whose maiden name I don't think we're ever told in the books).

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I can find no evidence saying that his gran abused him. They both loved each other very much and as others before me have said, Gran might have been strict but nothing says she was abusive. She might not have been the most supportive person for Neville, but she cared for him deeply and later on in the series became much more supportive. We also know Neville was looking for his gran's approval.

On the subject of his teaching abilities, he is very good at herbology and would love to teach it to others. (Remember his willingness to teach Harry in fourth year?) He comes into his own and starts to establish himself as a very strong character by the end of the series.

Smiles,
    Luna

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Imagine how traumatic it is for Neville, to know what happened to his parents, and to see them, in St. Mungo's, knowing they will never, ever recover, will never, ever recognize their own son.
    His parents were brave and talented enough to be Aurors, which, if that information was handled correctly would have ADDED self esteem, not diminished it! My God, people, they dropped him out of a window ("accidentally") and he "bounced" which was a cause of great rejoicement! PLEASE!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    His parents were brave and talented enough to be Aurors, which, if that information was handled correctly would have ADDED self esteem, not diminished it! My God, people, they dropped him out of a window ("accidentally") and he "bounced" which was a cause of great rejoicement! PLEASE!
    Well, yes, I'd imagine it would be cause for rejoicing if your grandson goes "bounce" instead of "splat!"

leahsm2
    I'm just saying that Neville always had more inherent strength than he was credited with, and his Gran was the most likely reason for it, but live and let live!

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    My God, people, they dropped him out of a window ("accidentally") and he "bounced" which was a cause of great rejoicement! PLEASE!
    That was Neville's Great Uncle Algie.

Smiles,
    Luna

leahsm2
    *sigh* Which, had Neville splattered, wouldn't have given a Hippogriff's left hindquarter!

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    But Great Uncle Algie is not Gran. Algie is not the one taking care of Neville. He's a crazy relative.

Smiles,
    Luna

leahsm2
    Yeah. Her whole point with Neville, was that with the loss of the intervening generation, Neville was left to be raised by people unaccustomed to dealing with the young. They'd forgotten how new and frightening the world can seem. They expected a level of competence that poor little Neville couldn't hope to achieve without guidance. They didn't mean to be neglectful and mean, but I still think they were.
    Anywho, that's my personal opinion!

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    His Gran brought up children before. What about Neville's parents? Gran has had plenty experience raising children before.

I agree that Gran was not the best possible evironment for Neville to grow up in, but not that it was abusive.

Smiles,
    Luna