Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Neville Longbottom

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    We know that the DA began to limit its activities after losing Luna at Christmas and Ginny at Easter, and eventually most of the members ended up in the RoR, starting with Neville. But do we know whether Neville started hiding out in the RoR only after Ginny didn't return from the Easter holidays? Or could he have already been "missing" before she left, sneaking out at night to do DA business, and simply found it too hard to continue once Ginny was gone? I'm trying to get a timeline of what happened at Hogwarts between Christmas and Easter straight in my head, particularly involving Neville.
    All I remember is that it was after Dawlish (I think) was sent to capture his Gran. I think it was after Ginny went but as I don't have my copy of DH handy I am not entirely sure.

How would Neville act romaticly?
    Hmm this is a good one. As we don't see him acting romantically in any of the books (unless there's anything mentioned in GoF about the Yule Ball) I think you can portray him how you like, but keep in mind that this is in 7th year so he is quite confident and he knows Luna very well.

What sort of things did Luna and Neville do together to overthrow the carrows?
    Well we know the DA put graffiti around the castle saying things like "Dumbledore's Army, still recruiting." and things like that but they also rescued first years from the dungeons and stood up to the Carrows in class (i.e by refusing to use the crutiatus curse, Neville asked the muggle studies teacher how much blood she and her brother have.). Neville, Ginny and Luna were the leaders so they would be trying to cause the most trouble and don't forget the three of them tried to steal the sword of Gryffindor from Snapes office.

Hope I've been of some help,

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Iruthb
    Okay, I've just written a scene that I really liked set in the first year of the Trio era. It involves Neville buying a wand. I've just remembered that he had his father's wand until the end of the fifth book. My story is AU anyway, an "what if" situation. Does anyone think it really matters that I've changed this small detail?

Essence_of_Lily
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruthb View Post
    Okay, I've just written a scene that I really liked set in the first year of the Trio era. It involves Neville buying a wand. I've just remembered that he had his father's wand until the end of the fifth book. My story is AU anyway, an "what if" situation. Does anyone think it really matters that I've changed this small detail?
    I don't think it really matters. You said it was AU, right? Besides, it's only a really tiny detail that probably nobody will even notice

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruthb View Post
    I don't think this would be a big issue, but you could always have something happen after he bought the wand to explain why he ended up using his father's wand. We know that Neville is clumsy and prone to forgetting things, so I think it would be reasonable to imagine a situation in which the wand he bought in your scene got broken or lost and he had to use his father's instead.

That would tie you back into canon if you wanted to while still keeping your scene, but like you said, your story is AU, so you can change details.

Amazing banner by the talented Minna!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_Lily View Post
    I don't think it really matters. You said it was AU, right? Besides, it's only a really tiny detail that probably nobody will even notice
    I'm one of those people who can be annoying about canon details. But as others have pointed out, since you will already have an A/U warning, you can probably get away with it. That said, if I were leaving you a review, I would definitely mention it to you, assuming you didn't know about the canon fact. So if you decide to do this, you might want to just include a note in the "end notes" of that chapter, saying you know Neville used his dad's wand in canon, but decided to take liberties. Then no one will bug you about it.

Are you just attached to the idea of him buying one when he is 11? Personally, I think it is so cool that he has his dad's wand. Not only was his dad an Auror (so he would have seen some action with that wand), but Neville has so little of either of his parents (physically speaking), I would think that wand would mean a lot to him. But again... I'm kind of an annoying canon cop.

Good luck!
    Lovely banner by Minna

TheCursedQuill
    I don't think this would be a big issue, but you could always have something happen after he bought the wand to explain why he ended up using his father's wand. We know that Neville is clumsy and prone to forgetting things, so I think it would be reasonable to imagine a situation in which the wand he bought in your scene got broken or lost and he had to use his father's instead.
    I was going to suggest something like this. But I think it would be better to just mention in your story why he doesn't have his dad's wand. I'm fine with AU, if there are reasons for things. Maybe Bellatrix broke his parent's wands? Maybe his gran didn't want him using his fathers wand, seeing that Neville had none of their talent.

As long as an explanation is given, even if in the end notes as Weasley Mom suggested, then I think your safe.

-Sarah

Iruthb
    Thanks everyone for your comments. The reason I chose Neville to have a wand because quite frankly, I thought it would be a good way to introduce Neville. However, I can also see Neville feeling that he doesn't deserve to use his father's wand. And of course he is clumsy and forgetful, so I'm sure at some point he will lose his wand.