Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neville Longbottom

la_vie_boheme
    I'm not quite sure. Neville's dealt with a lot during his life and while he did try and hide everything when he was younger, everything seemed to make him all the more determined to do better later on. He was cheerful and still worked so hard despite his difficult early life. In many ways, I find Neville to be stronger than Harry.
    Given the right circumstances, I don't think that it's impossible that Neville would develop a drinking problem, but I think that it would take more than it would to make Harry one.
    ~Melody

Third Year Slytherin
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by la_vie_boheme
    I'm not quite sure. Neville's dealt with a lot during his life and while he did try and hide everything when he was younger, everything seemed to make him all the more determined to do better later on. He was cheerful and still worked so hard despite his difficult early life. In many ways, I find Neville to be stronger than Harry.
    Given the right circumstances, I don't think that it's impossible that Neville would develop a drinking problem, but I think that it would take more than it would to make Harry one.
    ~Melody
    I vehemently agree, actually. That's something I've been trying to stress in my stories on MNFF: that Neville is in many ways stronger than Harry. Which brings up the obvious question, which I'm sure has been asked before in this thread (but I love discussing it): How would Neville have handled being the "Boy Who Lived"?

- Jacie the Cat
    Goodbye, everyone.
    Thanks for the memories.

Azhure
    This isn't exactly what we're discussion but I thought it was rather interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHairedWeasley
    How would Neville have handled being the "Boy Who Lived"?
    The thing with this is that we don't know what Harry would've been like had he not been 'The Boy Who Lived'. James and Lily may have been alive, he might have had siblings, Harry could've grown up in a happy and secure environment. It's just really hard to tell what he would've been like.

Neville would no doubt live with his grandmother and things would be fairly similar to what is written in canon, except Neville would be famous. How will the fame affect him? Also remember that Neville would've been exposed to the fame as he grew up. Had Harry been exposed to it, what would he have been like?

There are just so many questions. What if Harry and Neville lived in the same circumstances, who would be stronger? Harry's life with the Dursleys may have 'weakened' him, but we will never know what Neville would be like if he had lived with them.

Basically what I'm saying is that Neville would handle being 'The Boy Who Lived' in the same way as Harry, if not better. At least he would have one caring adult to help him grow up to what he needed to be (in my opinion).

And I'm just babbling...

~~Azhure~~

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhure
    Basically what I'm saying is that Neville would handle being 'The Boy Who Lived' in the same way as Harry, if not better. At least he would have one caring adult to help him grow up to what he needed to be (in my opinion).

And I'm just babbling...

~~Azhure~~
    The "one caring adult" in Neville's life was about as helpful to him as the Dursleys had been to Harry! Both Harry and Neville came from backgrounds of neglect, and I think both of them would have been perfectly happy to blend into the woodwork, if allowed to. Neville did have the advantage of being raised within the Wizarding World, and perhaps if he had been given the status of the one chosen to defeat the Dark Lord his family situation would have been stronger, hence he wouldn't have been as backward as he was. But, Harry appears to have better Magical Genes, in my opinion. I think Harry might've been a bit of an over priviledged git in this scenario, given the fact that both of his parents would've been alive, and Sirius would've also been available . . . (oops, strayed a bit, sorry )

CakeorDeath
    Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    The "one caring adult" in Neville's life was about as helpful to him as the Dursleys had been to Harry! Both Harry and Neville came from backgrounds of neglect, and I think both of them would have been perfectly happy to blend into the woodwork, if allowed to. Neville did have the advantage of being raised within the Wizarding World, and perhaps if he had been given the status of the one chosen to defeat the Dark Lord his family situation would have been stronger, hence he wouldn't have been as backward as he was. But, Harry appears to have better Magical Genes, in my opinion. I think Harry might've been a bit of an over priviledged git in this scenario, given the fact that both of his parents would've been alive, and Sirius would've also been available . . . (oops, strayed a bit, sorry )
    I don't think that Nevile's Gran was the in the same league as the Dursleys, I think she loved him really, but she was tactless and still felt very sad about her child's breakdown.

NTQ: Does anyone else think that Neville would be a bit too nice and trusting to be a teacher?

Children are evil. It is as simple as that.

Inverarity
    There's no evidence that Augusta Longbottom was abusive. She's stern and demanding, yes, but Neville never mentions being mistreated. Remember that what he feared most was Snape, not his grandmother, and he banished the Boggart by imagining Snape in his grandmother's clothing. That doesn't suggest that his grandmother inspires fear.

She raised an Auror. She took Neville to see his parents at St. Mungo's, though it must have been painful for both of them. When Voldemort took over, she went on the run and joined the resistance, and later praised Neville for his efforts.

Neville's no pushover, especially by the end of the series. He could deal with errant students just fine. He'd probably be a gentle, well-liked teacher, but I think students who try to take advantage of him would find out that he's not someone to mess with.

Azhure
    I agree.

In PoA, Neville only says that he doesn't want to the Boggart to turn into his grandmother either. That doesn't mean that she's, well, mean. She could just be strict. Or maybe Neville didn't want his grandmother to appear in front of the whole class. I mean, would you like your grandmother to appear in the middle of class?

I see Augusta as a kind, caring woman, if not a little strict. It must be hard for her to look after Neville after what happened to Frank and Alice. She's doing the best she can.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    Does anyone else think that Neville would be a bit too nice and trusting to be a teacher?
    I can see Neville as a kind and understanding teacher, but I'm not sure on what you mean by 'too nice'. Neville has a backbone and if he's not getting listened to, he may not yell at the students, but he would make sure that they stay in line. I think teaching Herbology is the perfect occupation for Neville. He's working with plants and helping others learn. Two things that the books state that he loves doing.

~~Azhure~~

Inverarity
    After everything Neville has endured, crawling into a bottle just does not seem in character for him.

leahsm2
    Neville's family is at least verbally abusive since he is treated as if he is second rate and we know from canon that he is not. Verbal abuse can be as bad as, if not worse than, physical abuse, so I stand by my theory. There is no way he can wracked with such inner doubt unless this is true!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    Neville's family is at least verbally abusive since he is treated as if he is second rate and we know from canon that he is not. Verbal abuse can be as bad as, if not worse than, physical abuse, so I stand by my theory. There is no way he can wracked with such inner doubt unless this is true!
    I'm sorry, but that's not true. People can be wracked with self-doubt even when brought up in loving, encouraging environments.

Imagine how traumatic it is for Neville, to know what happened to his parents, and to see them, in St. Mungo's, knowing they will never, ever recover, will never, ever recognize their own son.

And to grow up knowing that the people who did that to them are still alive.

That would be enough to give a young boy some serious issues, no matter how nice his grandmother may or may not be.

Even if his grandmother does burden him with excessive expectations -- and I can even imagine her being less than perfect, at times, perhaps losing her patience with a shy, uncertain child who is so not like her daughter -- that doesn't mean she verbally abuses him.

We don't know just how sharp his grandmother's tongue is. Maybe she is downright cruel to him, but there's insufficient evidence to conclude that from canon.